Panic?

• Thread starter Deleted member 192
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 192

I am noticing that my exhaust has some oil wetting. Here is what it looks like.
I'm at 1860 on the clock.
I was soooooo thoughtful on break in too!20200209_093708.jpg

K9F

I do hope the link works?

Hi Mike, is it oil or just 'sweat and carbon' if the bike has sat for a while or you cleaned it recently and haven't ridden it far since I would say there is nothing to worry about. Some of the spotting appears to have completely dried/evaporated. Take it out, get everything nice and hot, wipe it down then blast for home, bet there's no more when you get there. Mine exhibits very similar but that is due to my cleaning and laying away regime and it is certainly not oil but a mixture of carbon, water, ACF 50 and/or WD 40 residue that gets blown out.

If it is oil that's what warranties are for in my book. Good luck.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 192

I'm going to monitor it for sure. I broke it in so sweetly that Max made fun of my pussy ways.
I cant imagine there is a ring or valve issue here.

D

Deleted member 192

I have never washed the bike. Just a little touch up here and there.

Sullaha

It's a good thing that your exhaust is a combination of titanium and stainless, combustion products plus water equals acid, equals rotted mild steel in no time. Honestly take your bike out and ride it like you stole it off a red headed step child, they love it and keep coming back for more!

Ultratoad

When I bought my Scout (new) I actually broke it in slowly, just like it said in the manual. AND it burned oil (rings didn't seat properly) !!!! The FTR, I just ran the sucker AND it has never burned a drop !!!! Live and learn, will not do a "sissy" break-in again....

D

Deleted member 192

Just freaks me out to see. This bike is the only thing I ever actually bought (vehicles for my wife dont count) brand new. I'm damned proud of it too.
So I am very very protective of it. I just picked up an old R1. Perfect bike. Always wanted one. But it is NO FTR. So maybe i worry about my Indian a lil too much.

D

Deleted member 192

Once you remove the baffle insert, you have removed the direct route thru the muffler. So I would imagine you would have the material now just accumulating at the bottom of the larger muffler tube instead of being directed straight out of the muffler assembly.
Either way, it is a scary thing to see on your new baby!
I would be interested in seeing others post pics like the one here to compare with.

D

Deleted member 192

K9F, is that some British TV show? Those fellas appear to be long past the age of military service.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Most people just wipe it off when cleaning their bike and it never looks that bad, it looks like you let it accumulate over almost 2k miles

Max Kool

Once you remove the baffle insert, you have removed the direct route thru the muffler. So I would imagine you would have the material now just accumulating at the bottom of the larger muffler tube instead of being directed straight out of the muffler assembly.
No, once you remove the insert, it’s like a kettle without the whistle. The gasses and vapor can escape more easily...

D

Deleted member 192

I know. I'm bad. I'll try harder in the future!
Promise

K9F

K9F, is that some British TV show? Those fellas appear to be long past the age of military service.

Hi Mikie,

It's a very old British Sitcom show called Dad's Army that was about the Home Guard and still has a bit of a cult following even today, but only those of a certain ilk and age can remember it vividly. It ran from the late 60s to late 70s and is still shown today. With only two television channels in the early days I watched and grew up with what my dad watched. It is a damn sight funnier now than I thought it was back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dad's_Army

There was one classic scene called "Don't tell him Pike" which I found below. It was slapstick comedy at it's best in the day. Young Private Pike is now 75 years of age.

Last edited: