Performance Mods - Best Bang for Your Buck

Dirt Nasty

Hey guys,

I’m not as mechanically inclined as most of you, so have a rookie question for you all. What’s the best bang for your buck when doing performance mods for more HP? I gather everyone is jumping on fuel mapping and exhaust out of the gate!

Max Kool

A PV-3 with a tune from Ryan. By far. Even with a bog stock exhaust (that’s more a personal choice imho and has more to do with exhaust sound and styling)

Last edited:

Dirt Nasty

What are the benefits there. It fixes the cold start issue, no more surging I’ve read about...what else? Again I apologize for the rookie questions.

Appreciate the response though!

Max Kool

Surging, the wierd on/off throttle reaction. Call it midrange smoothness. And yes, it adds midrange torque too and about 5hp peak power.

Sullaha

What Max said, even if there wasn't a significant gain in torque or HP the improved throttle connection and smoother torque delivery mean you can get on the gas leaned over and control the traction with a lot more confidence. The "secret sauce" is in my mind the best money I've spent on a bike.

TOM

This is my ftr1200srr's data.
K&N ailr filter,baffles removed,pv-3 by fuel moto.
111hp.
116F88BF-C3A4-4B8E-A4C4-036986988FE0.jpeg

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Out of all the things i have done to my bike, a tune is the #1 thing im glad i did.

My only regret is that i rode it for a month before tuning, i should have done it day 1.

TOM

My only regret is that i rode it for a month before tuning, i should have done it day 1.
[/QUOTE]

I think so, too.

Wayne

I went the PV-3 route with Ryan's map and while it improved how the bike ran I still got the occasional flameout and it wasn't exactly to my liking. I ultimately discussed the matter with Ryan and what modifications I had done which resulted in me sending my ECU to Ryan for the V6 tune. It now is night and day different. Each solution cost me $500.00 but the V6 tune was the one that did the trick. Hindsight being 20/20 I could have saved 500.00 and landed at the same place but the V6 tune was not available when I went the PV3 route.

Webby

There is some serious bucks for the PV3 bang and the question is what is the best bang for the buck. I'm so new to the FTR that my jury is still out but I didn't like the sound of it so for $20 I got 2 Akro rubber plugs to plug the holes I drilled to pull the baffles. It sounds way more like a big v-twin now.

Anecdotally:
I spent $2000 on an exhaust system for a GSXR750 and dyno tuning and went about 3 seconds faster a lap at my home track Hallett, OK.
Then spent $550 for two days at California Superbike School with Keith Code (This was the 90's mind you) and dropped 15 seconds off my lap times.
My take away was gadgets will cost you $666 per second to go faster while education and bettering your riding skills will cost you $36/second.

In the end one of the most beautiful things about motorcycle ownership is making your ride your own. Uniquely yours as unique as you!

fack I gotta switch to decaf

Webby

You’re paying for smoothness of the power and throttle. The increase in hp is a welcome side affect.
I'm starting to see that. This is my first throttle by wire bike and it's taking some getting used to. It could use some smoothing so I'm pretty sure I'll be on the PV3 wagon soon. In the mean time I'm learning my bike and learning from all you good FTR owners! and for that I thank you

Breto

This is my ftr1200srr's data.
K&N ailr filter,baffles removed,pv-3 by fuel moto.
111hp.
View attachment 500
I had Three tunes from FM…REV B being the best of the three…couldn’t fault them when I had cat delete, K&N but baffles in. I was advised by FM that the tune would take better with them in. Related to back pressure and tuning response. You can request Rev B on the tuning page.

Blue1

That’s really the worst bang for your buck.
Correct.

If you spend the coin for top notch ceramics, tiny increases will happen. For professional racers, you take everything you can get, but for the street, ceramics basically mean no difference.