Prop stand.

SURLY

Am I the only person who is finding the propstand awkward its a real pain in the arse getting it down while sitting on the bike I am thinking loseing the footpeg return spring and putting a wavy washer in between the footrest and its mounting so I could raise it to get at the stand then drop it after anyone got any better ideas?

Max Kool

I read about other (short legged?) people having the same problem. Making sure the side stand is properly lubed may make a difference?

at least we don’t have a self retracting kick stand like 90’s Ducatis used to have...

SURLY

Glad I am not the only one thinking of a possible fix using 2 cable clamps or if you prefer small ubolts and clamping an allan bolt to the bit of the stand you hook (or try) onto with your foot and so extending it an inch or 2 out away from the evil footrest got a box full of them so can experiment clamps ordered but every thing shut over xmas so will keep you posted
Also seen one of the shit brown rally seats on ebay not to expensive so may order it to have a complete lowering conversion done as this will let me keep thr original seat as spare.:cautious:

SURLY

Heres my fix two cable clamp ubolts and an old bolt gives something to hook onto just waiting for the shitty brown rally seat I ordered to arrive then its off to the saddle customiser for a lowering session and a decent colour recover.

Attachments

• prop stand.JPG
    prop stand.JPG
    640.3 KB · Views: 26

SURLY

Just got my rally seat back from the saddle man says he got between one and a half and two inches out of it and slimmed the sides down a bit as well I can now get two decent chunks of foot on the ground which is a lot better than 3 little piggies.
Here is before and after £200 bill money well spent.

Attachments

• brown seat.jpg
    brown seat.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 44
  • quilt1.jpg
    quilt1.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 44

K9F

Quite some transformation, did you go for leather, gel inserts etc? Or was it just a reprofile and cover?

SURLY

Just reprofile and recover and lower one and a half inches was advised not to bother with the gel insert if I was not going long distance as it would cost £150 and if I am going long distance I would use my Honda Crosstourer only down side it looks so good I am taking the Honda seat for the same treatment but with red stitching did ask for that on this one but it got lost along the way and I did not have the heart to complain as he really put himself out to do this on a saturday while I waited.
Not leather just vynol (did I spell that correctly) prefer that to leather.

D

Deleted member 192

Vinyl is awesome! Even looks great on the ladies!!
Seat looks sweet!! As for the kick stand, it is a training issue. You have to get used to the technique for deployment.
Here's a shocker. After only 1800 miles on my FTR, when I attempt to deploy the kickstand on my R1, the R1 seems odd!
Wired huh. I totally gelled with the FTR.
We are highly adaptable organisms. Ergonomic issues are easily overcome with a little time.

SURLY

Vinyl is awesome! Even looks great on the ladies!!
Seat looks sweet!! As for the kick stand, it is a training issue. You have to get used to the technique for deployment.
Here's a shocker. After only 1800 miles on my FTR, when I attempt to deploy the kickstand on my R1, the R1 seems odd!
Wired huh. I totally gelled with the FTR.
We are highly adaptable organisms. Ergonomic issues are easily overcome with a little time.
I like vinyl on my wife as per the avatar would be nice to have had the cross stitching on the skirt did ask for red stitching on the saddle but it got lost in translation and as he had put himself out to do the seat while i waited (two and a half hours) I did not like to whinge about it.
Dealt with the propstand by clamping an allan bolt to extend it and fitting the bear trap footrests (£225 ouch) and leaving out the return spring and jamming an o ring in with the footrest so if I pull it up it stays up and makes finding the stand easy.

D

Deleted member 192

C'mon Max. We could be talking about latex. But then again, they dont cover bike seats in that stuff.
I'm guessing you are more of a leather man?

D

Deleted member 192

Nah. Max gets over it fairly quickly. He's a good sport. It'll be fine. Really.