Pull type lanyard kill switch for 2019 FTR1200S

Unzzy66

Hello fellow FTR1200 enthusiasts,
I need to install a pull type lanyard kill switch on my 2019 FTR1200S. Like the one from PMR. I have contacted PMR and they do not know if the switch will work as they have not installed their switch on an Indian motorcycle. The PMR unit is a normally closed type switch until you pull the lanyard out and it opens the circuit and shutsdown the engine. This is required for Drag Racing and some track days in my local area. Has anyone installed this type of switch on there FTR and if so how did you wire it up. To the off/on/start handlebar switch or to the kick stand switch or maybe somewhere else. Going to get the wiring diagram and trace out the wires but wanted to start here first. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. So if this topic has been covered before sorry in advance.

K9F

Welcome to the forum. Had a quick look at the wiring diagrams myself. Whichever route you decide to go using the side-stand or start/stop button circuits these are controlled by the ECM and simply switch a positive output (presumably low voltage 0-5VDC) to a specific ground path back to the ECM when operated. As a result this will not be a simple case of hooking up another switch in series. The second switch will need to be wired in series-parallel to ensure that either switch when operated will do the same job. Any crimps or terminations will need to be perfectly made and hermetically sealed as if you change the resistance value of the given circuit problems will ensue with the CanBus. Good luck!

Unzzy66

Welcome to the forum. Had a quick look at the wiring diagrams myself. Whichever route you decide to go using the side-stand or start/stop button circuits these are controlled by the ECM and simply switch a positive output (presumably low voltage 0-5VDC) to a specific ground path back to the ECM when operated. As a result this will not be a simple case of hooking up another switch in series. The second switch will need to be wired in series-parallel to ensure that either switch when operated will do the same job. Any crimps or terminations will need to be perfectly made and hermetically sealed as if you change the resistance value of the given circuit problems will ensue with the CanBus. Good luck!
Thank you for the reply and information. I agree and I definitely don't want to screw anything up so I'm going to get with Indian and see what they recommend before I do anything. Lots of these bikes are raced so there has to be a plug in module or something that works with the CanBus circuit. A guy on YouTube has a channel called Bike World and he is totally converting a FTR1200 into a flat tracker, drag race, OHV Bike. He is removing everything DOT off the bike. So I'm sure he had lots of CanBus issues to solve. I'm trying to contact him for more information. Thanks again and I'll post if I find anything.

K9F

Have a mate do something very similar to a 2014 H-D 48 'stripping it back to bare bones' and getting rid of all the entire CanBus completely including the ECM. Only realistic and simplest way of achieving this was also getting rid of the fuel injection system and rolling back to carburetor. The amount of wiring that ended up in the trash was quite amazing.

29785656-eab1-4403-9e4c-da9bf0603799.jpg

edgelett

that's weird you can't do track days without one.
that would rule out 90% of the people doing track days here lol

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
check with your track, usually that only applies to certain classes, same with safety wiring all your bolts.

Your ftr shouldnt be in any of those classes. My tracks dont require me to do it.

Unzzy66

Thanks for the replies. Wow, modern fuel injection CanBus to old school carburetor conversion. My hats off to you brother. That's one job - once you start there's no going back. Our FTR will be a race only bike so maybe one day I'll get the nerve to do the full conversion. NHRA and AHDRA require a pull type engine kill lanyard to race even in the sportsman bracket classes. We are going to talk to our local NHRA Tech Rep to see what our options are, if any. Hopefully there is an answer for modern CanBus motorcycles. I'll update this post with any information I get.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
You can put a small screw in the kill switch with a lanyard on it. So if you come off the bike it pulls the switch in the off position. Some one else did it on here a while back

Unzzy66

That's a good idea. I'll talk to our local NHRA Tech Rep and see if that will pass the rules/regulations. The on button is also the push to start so I'll check the back of the switch to make sure there won't be any interference. Thanks for the idea

SURGEFTR

see one on Wilfried DELESTRE's bike. French flat track rider. Maybe hit him up on IG and see if he is willing to help. Looks like its going directly to stock ignition/kill switch module... but it's only visible in some pics

Unzzy66

Thanks again for all the help with this. I was told that the only safe way to kill a CanBus electrical system motorcycle engine for racing purposes is to remove the power or ground from the fuel pump. So basically install the pull type lanyard in line with the fuel pump + or - wire. Not sure if the slightly added resistance to the + or - wire extentions would cause any problems or not. This way if I fall off the bike the power or ground is removed from the fuel pump and the motor shuts down. I feel a code would instantly pop up showing a fuel pump fault. Which would then have to be cleared. My lanyard is going to stay plugged in 99.9% of the time. So clearing a code would be few and far between. Going to study my wiring diagram to see how the + and - fuel pump power circuit is wired and if this is even possible. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this option?

SURGEFTR

what if he eliminated the kickstand from its safety and wired the kill switch in its place directly to its harness plug?

SURGEFTR

tempted to buy and try myself. slick that the units replace stock clutch or brake mounting bracket to mount. hmmmm

Unzzy66

Thx SURGEFTR, I found w.Delestre on IG. He definitely has a pull type lanyard kill switch on the left bar by the on/off/start. I can see the harness for the throttle by wire. So some of the CanBus must still be in use and it looks like the kill switch has wires running down the bars. Not sure if they are from the original on/off switch. I am going to try to contact him to see how he hooked it up. Thx again. I'll update this thread with any info I get

SURGEFTR

So, while i'm working through my own wiring loom, the idea of using the kickstand safety switch is fine, BUT it ONLY kills the bike when it's in gear. So this is not the ideal place to jump in for the switch. I'll be looking into it some more as I move forward. Wouldn't mind installing one myself. Keep you posted.

Unzzy66

Update...I emailed Wilfried Delestre about the kill switch seen in the photos of his FTR. He emailed me back and said that the bike was prepped by Indian Motorcycle Angers in France and they made all the modifications. I sent an email through their web site (indianangers.com) for any info about how they wired the kill switch. Have not heard back from them yet. Kick stand switch or fuel pump power are the 2 leading solutions currently. Going to an all motorcycle drag race here in Florida this weekend. Hopefully I'll find a solution.

SURGEFTR

Update...I emailed Wilfried Delestre about the kill switch seen in the photos of his FTR. He emailed me back and said that the bike was prepped by Indian Motorcycle Angers in France and they made all the modifications. I sent an email through their web site (indianangers.com) for any info about how they wired the kill switch. Have not heard back from them yet. Kick stand switch or fuel pump power are the 2 leading solutions currently. Going to an all motorcycle drag race here in Florida this weekend. Hopefully I'll find a solution.
I'm still working on this too man. If I get info, I'll def share it. Using the kickstand switch isn't going to be where I'll go. And the fuel pump, I'm not too certain how immediate that "kill" would be with residual fuel left in the lines. I could be wrong for sure though. Asking around

SURGEFTR

Can’t you wire a lanyard switch in series with the ignition (key) switch? Off=off
I've been hoping to get some input from Thomas Karate about this lanyard switch wiring and looping/eliminating the clutch safety switch (since he SEEMS to be a wiring genius), but now he's ghosting me ever since he's got his bike back together...:ROFLMAO:

Unzzy66

***Update***Motorcycle drag race this past weekend did not get me any info on a pull type lanyard kill switch for a CanBus Motorcycle. Tech let me run without it. No reply from Indian Motorcycle Angers in France yet. I contacted my local Indian dealer to see if they know anything or if they can contact Indian Corporate.