Raximo Brake Lever Feel

thrilhou

I posted this over on the Indianmotorcycles.net forum, thought I'd put it up over here as well:

Fellow Raximo users: do you find that the brake feel is softer with the Raximo compared to stock? It has always felt this way since I changed it... I assumed at the time that it was a poor bleed since the stock lever felt soft after getting it back from service before I changed them out. Today I bled the brake and it still feels about the same: sorta squishy.

Slightly more detail: I usually have the lever on "3" and if I squeeze the lever as hard as possible with two fingers and my ring and pinky fingers still on the grip, I can just about touch the tip of the lever to my knuckles (gloves on).

I suppose I could try to do some version of the brake lever clearance check written in the manual, but I'd have to think about the validity of the test using a different lever.

Thoughts?

kiwi dave

Slightly more detail: I usually have the lever on "3" and if I squeeze the lever as hard as possible with two fingers and my ring and pinky fingers still on the grip, I can just about touch the tip of the lever to my knuckles (gloves on).

Thoughts?
Can you do this when the bike is in motion, and not lock the front wheel? Most front brake systems are like this.

Sounds fine to me.

thrilhou

Can you do this when the bike is in motion, and not lock the front wheel? Most front brake systems are like this.

Sounds fine to me.
No, it would certainly activate the ABS in standard.

Is this typical for modern abs systems? All of the other bikes I've had were much firmer, but they were also older non-abs brakes that definitely didn't work as well.

I estimate I'm able to stop from 60mph moderately quickly in about 125ft. I doubt my braking technique is perfect and there was room to be more aggressive. I'm guessing given that the brake is probably within normal function.

kiwi dave

As long as you can't lock the front wheel up on a dry road, I'd say everything is normal and ABS is doing its thing.