Rear Brake Pedal Height Adjustment?

mtFTRnh

I tried to lower the brake pedal, but it seems to engage the break as I move it downward. I’ve watched videos about this on other bikes and it seems very simple. Am I missing something or is the FTR a little different?

Max Kool

You need to adjust two things: the height of the pedal, and the length of the actuator pin from the brake master cylinder. Make sure there's always a little play (not much) in the actuator pin, so the cylinder can return completely.

If in doubt have a handy buddy look over your shoulder.

mtFTRnh

Thanks, Max Kool. I can only see the one pin to adjust. I have a 500 mile service appointment next week so will ask the shop to show me the relevant parts. Ride safe!

mtFTRnh

I found the other adjuster when I was doing another job. The screw—actually a set screw—is under, and just forward of where the pedal attaches to the bike. Tuning this screw clockwise moves the pedal down. (There’s a nut on the set screw to hold it in place. Don’t forget to losen it before you adjust the set screw and to tighten it gently afterward.)

As Max Kool previously stated, you also have to adjust the link in the master cylinder so that the pedal isn’t being engaged when it’s at rest. There’s a certain amount of slack needed. Push down on the break pedal before making any adjustments and you’ll see what’s appropriate.