Removing wheel bearings

bgrainger04

What is the best way to remove the front and rear wheel bearings? I have tried using a slide hammer and the bearings aren’t moving what’s so ever.

Breto

What is the best way to remove the front and rear wheel bearings? I have tried using a slide hammer and the bearings aren’t moving what’s so ever.
With the front wheel removed, there will usually be a centre spacer between the two bearings inside the hub. Support the wheel so it’s off the workbench maybe with some decent Timbers so the discs aren’t touching anything. Grab a decent drift and insert that through the hole in the bearing where the axle runs. Tap the centre spacer to the side and gently tap out the bearing around its circumference. Once that bearing is out the centre spacer May drop out with it. Turn the wheel over and repeat on the other bearing. If you place the new bearings in their packet in the fridge for a while they will be easier to install. Clean the seating surface and give it a very light coat of high temp bearing grease. Tap the new bearing home till it seats. You should hear a change in tone when it is seated all the way around. Don’t forget to put the centre spacer back in before you do the other side. Tap the other side home and you should be done. Rears will be similar. Hope this helps.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Take a heat gun to the outer race of the wheel.

Process is like this

And installing new ones. Keep them in your freezer over night. And heat up the race again, they will usually fall right in with minimal work.

Breto

I’ve never used heat on a hub. No need. They will come out without applying heat.