Ride Report

rhledge

I put about 110 miles on my FTR S RR today, and it was a great day. Some initial impressions:

• the mirrors have to go (mentioned in another thread)
  • the seat is very comfortable - no issues after 2+ hours (with a break to refill the miniscule tank; got about 98 miles out of a tank full of gas)
  • the motor is a beast! Of course, I had it in Sport mode all day. Love the punch of torque you get in the mid-range. Haven't had it up to the higher rev range (keeping it below 6500 RPM until the first oil change), so not sure what that part of the powerband feels like.
  • tires are great, noticed the wiggle in the corners that others have mentioned, but didn't feel out of control at all.
  • I'm fairly large (6'4"/1.93m and 260 lbs/118 kg), but the ergos were very comfortable. And the engine had no problem hauling all that weight around.
  • it's a joy to ride and I'm putting a lot more miles on it tomorrow!

Oh, and I was out yesterday and when I came back it was raining, so I switched to Rain mode. Noticeable difference in power delivery and feel, very friendly tune.

I couldn't have said it better myself:).

I love my Indian!!

One cool feature is how many guys come up to me and want to know what it is.

K9F

Thanks Rhledge,

Your report was of great interest and informative to me. Perhaps still surprisingly I am still waiting for my FTR to arrive and with an impending longer haul trip planned on it 25 September for a week across Europe time is of the essence.

Based on the great information you provided and decisions already made:

The mirrors (and front indicators) are being ditched before I get it and replaced with the bar end variety.
I did buy an Air Hawk DS in the event I did not find the seat as comfortable as I wished, will still make use of it.
The bike as it is will be more than adequate for this journey. Until such time as one can either 'Autotune' or get a bespoke remap for your exact scenario I do not wish to spend money on a tool that will currently only provide you with four 'generic maps' at the moment. It is having a decat fitted day one. The UK versions are speed restricted to 125 mph. On the unrestricted German Autobahns this will be ample considering my riding buddy is on a Honda Transalp.
I would envisage my tyres will be shot on my return so may look at alternatives?
I am 6'1"/1.86m and 210lbs so not totally out of the ballpark from your stature.

If I get as much enjoyment as yourself and obviously Rikosintie I will be happy? Will also report on my longer haul trip sometime October. Tank bag and rack also being nailed on for the trip.