Riding with my girlfriend

FTR-norway

Hello from Norway,

I've test ridden the FTR 1200 S and really liked it. I'll probably purchase one this spring. Pretty expensive here in norway though, 27k usd for a race replica.

I was wondering if anyone has been testing the bike with a passenger?

looking to do some riding with my girlfriend (maximum 3-4 hour rides)

I'm also wondering about the aviator seat, is it a big difference from the stock one or should I consider other options like an Airhawk seat for instance?

looking forward to hearing from you guys!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Depends how tall she is. My girlfriend is about 64inches tall. And the rear foot pegs are a bit too high for her to be comfortable. The most she has done in a day was 300 miles.

It’s not as comfortable as a naked sport touring bike.

FTR-norway

She is maybe a couple inches taller. The height of the pegs has been my concern as well, they seem pretty tall.

The destinations we travel to most of the time are about 100-150 miles away. Guess she just have to bite the bullet.

K9F

My bike arrived later than expected and I had only a couple of weeks to rack the miles up, get the first service out of the way for a pre-planned trip across Europe. The comfort factor being an unknown entity over longer journeys I didn't want to get a couple of hundred miles down the road to find it uncomfortable. That said I did a bit of research and couldn't find any negative experiences so bought an Airhawk Dual Sport. That done I must admit it is really comfortable and gave me good service carrying out well over 500 miles in a single day. Many people make the mistake of over inflating them, I found the best method is to inflate, sit on the bike and deflate it until your butt is about 1/4 inch off the seat.seat3.jpg

D

Deleted member 192

The girl on my bike is like 5'6". She enjoyed it. We were only on it for like a half hour. You and her will need to stop before the FTR needs fuel. At least my A$$ needs the break. Not sure a new seat would help.

Unruly Rider

My wife is too tall (5' 9) to enjoy riding the FTR with me... her legs start to feel cramped after about a 30min ride. I told her that is reason enough for her to get her own bike! :ROFLMAO:

Snakum

I'm lucky that my wife has been riding her own bike for over 20 years, occasionally packing with me on the Road King. But a situation arose Friday necessitating she pack on the FTR. Even though she's a tiny thing, one test sit and she was like "Not happening". 😄

The aviator seat is longer. It goes over the tail light. So it might have more padding and be able to sit 2 inches back. I have an aviator seat I’m thinking of possibly selling.

Last edited:

Zilonis

Hello from Norway,

I've test ridden the FTR 1200 S and really liked it. I'll probably purchase one this spring. Pretty expensive here in norway though, 27k usd for a race replica.

I was wondering if anyone has been testing the bike with a passenger?

looking to do some riding with my girlfriend (maximum 3-4 hour rides)

I'm also wondering about the aviator seat, is it a big difference from the stock one or should I consider other options like an Airhawk seat for instance?

looking forward to hearing from you guys!
woooahhhh... 27K USD?! Wow that's crazy expensive. To confirm I went on Twin Thunder (in Norway) website to price out the new FTRS Carbon... with NOK to USD conversion (thank you google) it would be about 32K USD! To compare it's only17K in the states. So you're paying almost double.

WOW!

If you really want one have you considered buying one from in the US and maybe paying a couple thousand to have it shipped?

Max Kool

That won’t work. It’s local tax law that makes bikes and cars expensive, not Indian. Same in many other European countries.

Last edited:

Sam

Holy snapping ducks bum.... that's expensive, here that's $37.600nzd...

I'm sure she is such a wonderful girlfriend and she would love riding lessons and her own bike :)
Mind you think that's why I'm still singe bahaha
Good luck and hope you make the best decision irrespective of what that is

I bought some passenger foot peg lowering brackets from https://www.adventuretech.biz/passenger-peg-lowering.html I flied them to fit into my FTR brackets and added foot pegs to the bottom hole in the bracket. But the 3" drop puts the foot pegs into the back of my ankle. For a bracket to work it needs to go lower but yet backward away from the riders calf/ankle. My bike with its single Toce slip on muffler and can actually accommodate alot of drop on the right side- more so than a stock dual canister slip on but I dont have the means to make a lowering bracket that would look acceptable.

Obiratus

I ride with my girl all the time. She is very small and light though (<160). The gas tank is small anyway, so we have to stop from time to time. It's not the most comfortable bike I ever had for a passenger but it's not the worst either. I was riding with my sister as well and she is 180, for her it wasn't comfortable at all.