S&S 2 into 2 installed.

Charliemurphay

I bought them lol. So I’ll answer your questions…

Installation: it is involved. You need to remove the fuel tank to access the rear cylinder head pipe as that needs to be removed and replaced with the supplied one. To facilitate access you also need to unbolt and push out of the way the ABS pump/manifold assembly. It’s a pain but doable. Removing the heat shields (there are 3) from the stock rear header pipe was the most difficult part for me. All in all the installation took me a total of about 4 ish hours. If it’s tour first time removing the fuel tank it may take longer. This was my fifth or so time doing it so I’m getting pretty proficient at it lol.

Heat/Comfort: if you know what you’re expecting, in my “opinion” they are not a nightmare or awful. They do push your right leg out when riding a bit, but not a ton. But seeing as my right leg stays on the brake when I’m at a stop it does not bother me as I’m used to one footing it anyways. Now if you have to penguin walk it, yes they make it awkward and difficult. But how far are you penguin walking your bike? As far as heat, they are warm but not any worse than the cat when stopped. My right lower calf does contact the heat shield while riding. I feel nothing from it while moving but if I’m stopping, yea you will experience some discomfort. The heat shields are better than nothing but they are not completely burn proof. I’m having my heat shields cerkote coated right now in an effort to reduce heat transmission (and also because I wanted them black). Will report my results.

Noise: I have the 50 state ones with the integrated catalysts. They are louder than my S&S slip on was but I had the cat installed. If you’re running just a link pipe, the high pipes will be slightly quieter and less angry sounding. They are still loud and aggressive above half throttle but are reasonable in volume most of the time.

Power/Running: there is a slight mid range torque loss. But I don’t ride my bike hard enough to really notice. And it runs great still with the tune provided by Fuel Moto that I requested once I installed the pipes.

Overall I am very satisfied with them as I enjoy the tone and sound of them and like you I love the way they look. These are the best looking pipes for the FTR in my opinion. Really all of this is my opinion don’t take it as gospel. I also heard that these pipes were a nightmare with fitment and ride-ability. Expecting that, I found them to be much better than I was expecting and don’t regret them one bit.

FTR London

I bought them lol. So I’ll answer your questions…

Installation: it is involved. You need to remove the fuel tank to access the rear cylinder head pipe as that needs to be removed and replaced with the supplied one. To facilitate access you also need to unbolt and push out of the way the ABS pump/manifold assembly. It’s a pain but doable. Removing the heat shields (there are 3) from the stock rear header pipe was the most difficult part for me. All in all the installation took me a total of about 4 ish hours. If it’s tour first time removing the fuel tank it may take longer. This was my fifth or so time doing it so I’m getting pretty proficient at it lol.

Heat/Comfort: if you know what you’re expecting, in my “opinion” they are not a nightmare or awful. They do push your right leg out when riding a bit, but not a ton. But seeing as my right leg stays on the brake when I’m at a stop it does not bother me as I’m used to one footing it anyways. Now if you have to penguin walk it, yes they make it awkward and difficult. But how far are you penguin walking your bike? As far as heat, they are warm but not any worse than the cat when stopped. My right lower calf does contact the heat shield while riding. I feel nothing from it while moving but if I’m stopping, yea you will experience some discomfort. The heat shields are better than nothing but they are not completely burn proof. I’m having my heat shields cerkote coated right now in an effort to reduce heat transmission (and also because I wanted them black). Will report my results.

Noise: I have the 50 state ones with the integrated catalysts. They are louder than my S&S slip on was but I had the cat installed. If you’re running just a link pipe, the high pipes will be slightly quieter and less angry sounding. They are still loud and aggressive above half throttle but are reasonable in volume most of the time.

Power/Running: there is a slight mid range torque loss. But I don’t ride my bike hard enough to really notice. And it runs great still with the tune provided by Fuel Moto that I requested once I installed the pipes.

Overall I am very satisfied with them as I enjoy the tone and sound of them and like you I love the way they look. These are the best looking pipes for the FTR in my opinion. Really all of this is my opinion don’t take it as gospel. I also heard that these pipes were a nightmare with fitment and ride-ability. Expecting that, I found them to be much better than I was expecting and don’t regret them one bit.
Thanks for taking the time to write that, really informative. I absolutely agree that these are the quintessential pipes for this motorcycle - but I also hang off it quite a bit - which is why I fitted CRA3s (though I think it massively spoils the look). Left handers may be an issue with the high level S&S pipes.

This actually allays many of my fears and misgivings about this exhaust system. Another thing that I'm considering is a low level Toce which really emphasises the spartan look and the tubular swing arm post cat delete....but getting hold of them in the UK is a complete ball ache.

Thanks again for your reply. The black shrouds will look incredible.

Last edited:

JDP

I sold the exhaust that I had sorry, they do sound great and look even better but they just wouldn’t let me put my right leg down, and for the install it’s not bad if you remove everything you need to out of the way and don’t try to short cut it

Charliemurphay

Thanks for taking the time to write that, really informative. I absolutely agree that these are the quintessential pipes for this motorcycle - but I also hang off it quite a bit - which is why I fitted CRA3s (though I think it massively spoils the look). Left handers may be an issue with the high level S&S pipes.

This actually allays many of my fears and misgivings about this exhaust system. Another thing that I'm considering is a low level Toce which really emphasises the spartan look and the tubular swing arm post cat delete....but getting hold of them in the UK is a complete ball ache.

Thanks again for your reply. The black shrouds will look incredible.
No worries if you have any other questions let me know. The low mount Toce is the close runner up for me for best looking FTR exhaust.

Erok77

Several questions if that's ok. I have heard that these are a complete nightmare to fit owing to the necessity of partially removing the manifold? Most that I have spoken to attest to the heat from the exhaust being intolerable and as you said, the strange position that you have to adopt - not simply stopping in traffic though, but riding position. I currently have the S&S Grand National can with link pipe and cat delete but in my opinion, if you want this bike to look anything remotely like the Flat Tracker that it is supposedly derived from, the twin high level S&S system that you have fitted is a must. You mentioned that these are the 49 state versions with integral high flow cats, but that it still sounds beautiful and very noisy nonetheless which is interesting. I really want these for my FTR, and there is currently a set advertised on ebay near me for £1,000. But everyone has told me that in terms of practicality and ride, they are a total nightmare. I'm having enough trouble finding a decent UK map for the slip on can - (dynojet have none online). Was this subsequently set up on a rolling road? The exhausts look superb btw.
They were kind of a pain to install. It's a complete system so getting to the rear cylinder takes some effort.

The heat does suck. Not too bad on the cooler days but pretty bad when warm.

Riding position is taking some time to get used too. Right legs is pushed out a bit and it feels weird.

I did not do any ECU tuning. Runs fine (when warmed up) as I did not change the intake side.

The sound, the look...intoxicating :)

FTR London

They were kind of a pain to install. It's a complete system so getting to the rear cylinder takes some effort.

The heat does suck. Not too bad on the cooler days but pretty bad when warm.

Riding position is taking some time to get used too. Right legs is pushed out a bit and it feels weird.

I did not do any ECU tuning. Runs fine (when warmed up) as I did not change the intake side.

The sound, the look...intoxicating :)
I agree - an absolute must for an authentic flat track look.

So presumably the Toce low mount (which is a close second imo), would be equally as awkward to fit, or indeed, any replacement full system?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
No. They designed it to use the oem rear header flange. Same with the Toce highmount. The s&s highmount is the only system that requires the removal of the tail to fit.

the s&s does look / sound good. But it’s a 8hp power loss even when tuned per Ryan. mainly due to the true dual type

FTR London

No. They designed it to use the oem rear header flange. Same with the Toce highmount. The s&s highmount is the only system that requires the removal of the tail to fit.

the s&s does look / sound good. But it’s a 8hp power loss even when tuned per Ryan. mainly due to the true dual type
Massively helpful. Thanks.

MarkS

Is it just me? I can't understand installing an exhaust system that is hot and forces an awkward position for your right leg to get your foot down. There are other ways to get a nice sound and a decent look

Charliemurphay

Is it just me? I can't understand installing an exhaust system that is hot and forces an awkward position for your right leg to get your foot down. There are other ways to get a nice sound and a decent look
Not just you, it’s the most common complaint this exhaust receives. I’m not bothered by it though. To each their own.