Side Bags?

MilwDave

I just added the accessory side bag frame to my FTR. I also ordered the Kriega platform to add rigidity. Now I’m looking at various side bag options.
What have those of you with a side bag chosen? And what pluses and minuses have you found?

Charliemurphay

I took the tube mounts that Kriega includes with their OS plate kit (you can buy just the mounts just message them) and attached a Harbor Freight Apache 4800 hard case to my rack. Neoprene rubber fender washers inside the case to retain water tightness. Works great and was relatively inexpensive.

IMG_9108.jpeg
IMG_1405_Original.jpeg

Sail Captain

So this is an experiment to see if I can use these duel sport style bags. I tried a larger set of Giant Loop bags and they were too big. The side bags secure to the foot peg guards and wrap under the tail. The top bag also wraps under the tail and also ties to the side bag. In the picture they are stuffed with motorcycle covers and towels. I need to go for a ride and see how they settle in but that will have to wait, hip replacement surgery in three hours.

IMG_2976.jpeg

MilwDave

So this is an experiment to see if I can use these duel sport style bags. I tried a larger set of Giant Loop bags and they were too big. The side bags secure to the foot peg guards and wrap under the tail. The top bag also wraps under the tail and also ties to the side bag. In the picture they are stuffed with motorcycle covers and towels. I need to go for a ride and see how they settle in but that will have to wait, hip replacement surgery in three hours.

View attachment 7925
Good luck with the surgery.
I like the angled side bags. Obviously the mounting needs to be tightened up.
I keep going back to the Kriega bags. They are expensive but they are also quality.
I like the RSD Roam line Kriega has but they haven’t expanded the offerings to include a side bag.

Helge

Cross fingers for your surgery and hope that the right side bag will survive the exhaust pipes.

Sail Captain

Surgery was a success! Back home and moving about.

I have done a fair amount of ADV motocamping and have some experience with securing soft bags. The only thing that I don't like with the pictured setup is relying on straps running under the tail section. I am working on a solution. Giant Loop sells Strap Mount Anchors. I plan on mounting a set to one of the existing holes in the tail. Either the grap handle bolt or I think there is another set of bolt holes below those. The anchor straps would eliminate the bags creeping forward which is critical to keeping the set secure. I'll have some free time this week to work on this and I well need a potential Moto trip on the horizon to keep some positive feelings.

The total storage capacity of that rig is about 80 liters, more than enough to do an extended trip and the total cost is less than $200. Giant Loop also makes a little riser plate to keep bags from coming directly in contact with the muffler. It maybe puts about 1/2 inch of space between the bag and the muffler. I use one on a DRZ400 and have had no issue with bags melting.

MilwDave

IMG_5750.jpegIMG_5752.jpegIMG_5751.jpegIMG_5753.jpeg

I ended up going with the Kriega platform system attached to the Indian accessory side mount. I added the Kriega 20L OS waterproof bag. It was a perfect fit and the bag detaches in less than a minute from the platform. Kriega also offers larger OS bags if the need arises.
I’m very happy with the quality and the fitment. Plus it looks great IMHO.

Sail Captain

Looks Great! There is a nice balance between the exhaust on one side and the bag on the other. If you are not going to be carrying a passenger, you could fit another soft bag. Depending on your seating position, a bag on the passenger seat makes a nice back rest.

MilwDave

Looks Great! There is a nice balance between the exhaust on one side and the bag on the other. If you are not going to be carrying a passenger, you could fit another soft bag. Depending on your seating position, a bag on the passenger seat makes a nice back rest.
The Kriega bags are not inexpensive but they have a great modular design that allows you to attach other bags to it with great cinch straps and numerous attachment points.
I picked up another bag for the rear and now I’ll be set for longer jaunts.