Smartphone with Quadlock and RAM Mount

orcas

Very nice. I decided to use the quad lock mount in the side. for me it's a better position if I need to touch the screen. And the 20cm cable reaches the usb connector easily. I use quadlock in all my vehicles for quite some time. Quadlock rocks. Waiting for the Motorcycle Wireless Charging Head to arrive... :)

Attachments

• Quadlock.jpg
    Quadlock.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 86
  • quadlock2.jpg
    quadlock2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85

mark.lb

I use the RAM X mount purchased from Indian. I have never had a problem or damaged a phone. (Sorry about the poor pictures. I already put the bike away for today.) As you can see it mounts to the mirror stalk.

Attachments

• 050B3B58-C279-4A3E-A74D-6F7437C21D71.jpeg
    050B3B58-C279-4A3E-A74D-6F7437C21D71.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 3836B50D-D68C-4D5A-AD2E-CB35B573CE93.jpeg
    3836B50D-D68C-4D5A-AD2E-CB35B573CE93.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 52
  • DC5FD0DC-BE69-4101-8FF1-85D3F3BCE4B7.jpeg
    DC5FD0DC-BE69-4101-8FF1-85D3F3BCE4B7.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 50

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
That’s an older iPhone. Any of the newer ones, the camera doesn’t like it.
I’ve killed a 7, 8, xr, x, and my newest one a 11. Lasted one ride.

I had a long report with rokform over 5 years going back and forth with them trying to make a better mount with less vibrations.
I finally called it quits with bar mounts

mark.lb

The phone is the new i-Phone SE released April 24, 2020. So far so good. Have one month plus on it and I ride just about every day.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Ah I saw the thumb button.

Well good luck!

I had ten other users contact me asking why my mounts were for sale that had similar issues with the camera focus.

Charliemurphay

I mounted my iPhone X to my old KZ750 4-cyl and had that camera repaired four times before it dawned on me that the buzzy vibrations were breaking it. I can’t imagine the FTRs heavy v-twin rumbling would be any kinder to it.

mark.lb

I think I am getting away with it “so far“ because of the way the phone is “isolated” from the handle bar. The clutch assembly mounts to the bar, the X grip angled base with 9 mm hole is over the mirror mount post, then a double rubber ball stock arm and then the X mount that cradles the phone with 4 rubber posts (glued to the X grip) and finally a rubber device tether around the edges of the phone. This new phone replaced a iPhone 5C. I used the 5C with the same system since May 25, 2019 or about 3700 miles before I upgraded phones in April 2020. This set up came from the Indian dealership. The iPhone SE is the same size as the iPhone 8. I like a smaller phone. So far no phone camera problems.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
My 4/5/6 cameras all lasted thousands of miles and years. I used to ride up and down the east coast every year with the same setup. Then once I got the 7 they started going sooner and sooner. My x lasted all last summer This spring it failed.

andriod products seem to not care

Unruly Rider

My 4/5/6 cameras all lasted thousands of miles and years. I used to ride up and down the east coast every year with the same setup. Then once I got the 7 they started going sooner and sooner. My x lasted all last summer This spring it failed.

andriod products seem to not care
Androids (Samsung, Motorola, etc.) typically mount their camera and lenses to the mainboard with a different method than Apple. Been using handlebar mounts for 10 years and never had an issue... but I don't use Apple products either.

mark.lb

Both my son-in-laws use Quad Lock. So far they have also had no problems with their iPhone cameras. One has a iPhone 8 and the other a iPhone X. Quad Lock makes a ball mount that works with the X Grip stock so it would be easy and inexpensive to switch if I have a problem. I rarely use my phone for GPS. I use it to listen to SiriusXM and to make calls while riding.
Motorcycles are not the only beating my cell phone takes. I play golf several days a week and I usually just throw the phone in the cup holder on the cart and let it bounce around. May need to rethink doing that.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
that doesnt seem to affect them, ive dropped mine off a helicopter several times, and it stays in my camel back when dirtbiking, its the high frequency vibes that it doesnt like. Turn your camera on once while riding and you will see what i mean.

Some get lucky others dont, just something to be aware of.

MikeChen93

I bought the Indian ram mount with the bike and actually it’s really annoying with my iPhone max because the power button and volume button are on both sides and the 4 rubber crawl exactly touch those buttons.

Charliemurphay

The apple store told me it was a known issue with newer iPhones in the way that their image stabilization and focusing works that it’s an issue. My old iPhone 5 never had an issue with it either, but the XR just doesn’t like it/can’t do it.

Murdock

Good to know (y). I have a 7 now but yes, ... cameras on modern iPhones are probably more sensitive. Maybe I use the quad lock then on my bicycle in future and get a TOMTOM or similar instead for the FTR.

Rook

This is how I mounted mine. Don’t like the swing arm so used the knuckle. I have an iPhone7 and the camera still seems to be working. 975D5632-103F-4156-B2F7-F7DC2C6A90FB.jpeg68367228-061E-441E-A826-1A347877AF42.jpeg00CBA9D1-8657-4649-8617-32B54FB352A8.jpeg

S2Davies

I use the RAM X mount purchased from Indian. I have never had a problem or damaged a phone. (Sorry about the poor pictures. I already put the bike away for today.) As you can see it mounts to the mirror stalk.
Just a quick thanks for the info about your RAM (mirror type) mount. I've got a Garmin mount for a sat nav, and it is a bit agricultural to say the least. A great improvement. Thanks again. You've got to love a forum :D

Attachments

• Garmin Mount.jpeg
    Garmin Mount.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Ram Mount.jpeg
    Ram Mount.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 18