Some members...

Blue1

...seem to have nothing positive to contribute, but merely post to complain about the FTR. Never a comment from them about the bike's positive attributes.

Forums are for enthusiasts; yes, once and a while there are issues that have to be addressed or inquired about, but the constant bitching and moaning about the FTR by certain members on this site is ridiculous.

If you ONLY have negative things to say, then just sell your FTR and leave. No bad feelings, but really, we are here to celebrate and communicate about our common interest, not to read posts from people that constantly moan about the personal bad purchase decision that was made. I think true FTR fans are weary of the snowflakes, and I have a hard time believing some of these people are dedicated riders. Real riders suck it up or they cut their losses.

Sorry moderators if I am offending anyone, but do you all really want to hear from people that only complain about the FTR? Is that why we all log in here?

We need to celebrate FTR ownership, not denigrate it. I think the FTR kicks ass. All bikes have issues, especially first year models; if you can't take it, then just leave, we don't need the constant negativity.

MotoJedi

It's good to know about common issues. Even better to know how to fix them! I agree-- the FTR is an amazing machine. I ripped around the city this evening.. and was grinning ear to ear! Now that I have a week of ownership under my belt, the bike is feeling at home. Powerful and rather nimble!

Blue1

Thank you! An FTR enthusiast speaks out.

As I stated, it is important to help each other with the issues that confront us. I just don't want to hear from people that never have anything good to say about the FTR.

Murdock

It is the nature of car an motorcycle forums that most people post issues. They seek for solutions or want to share their experiences to save others from the same. As an example, I post issues and solutions in a forum for my car since 15 years. The fact, that I solve them since such a long time instead of selling it, documents my dedication ;-).

The FTR is a brand new thing and we have to figure out it's goods and bads. Probably no one would post "My battery is not empty today, hurray!" :) But this does not mean that they do not like starting their bikes and go for a ride. So don't worry.

MikeChen93

actually we would like to know issues so when we had them we can search the forum to solve it. That’s the whole point of the forum I suppose?

K9F

Forums generally do not contain good news. A high percentage of people will register as they have a specific issue, get the answer they seek, have nothing much positive to contribute, and then disappear until the next time they have an issue. Then there are those that register purely to sell something. You will also get those that will bleat on more than one forum as if one isn't enough with exactly the same issues. More cheese to accompany that whine Sir?

I'll say it before someone else will...."They all do that Sir!"

Blue1

I get it, it is a collective that helps with issues.

Asking for help is one thing, but whining like a little girl and threatening to buy a different bike? At that point, one is just looking for sympathy/attention, not a solution, and aiming one's wrath at the very bike for which this forum exists is not exactly a way to make buddies here. It is borderline troll-like behavior.

Really, who cares at that point? Sell the bike and leave. No one here wants to read unproductive hissy fits.

I have been a member of another bike-related forum for almost twenty years and it is so good I go there for any issues I have (haven't owned the bike the site is about for twelve years!), from bikes, to bicycles, to firearms, cars, etc....so forums like that do exist. We should all strive make this forum like that; no chest-beating, no endless whining, just productive and mature exchange of ideas, adventures, mods, accessories, tires, the list goes on and on.

Perhaps my favorite site is the way it is because for the most part, the members are post-millennial and don't have entitlement issues.

The 'busa sites I've been on have been similar to this. Some of the Triumph sites are a little better, perhaps because some of those members also have a little longer perspective on life.

Good site leadership and moderators can help, but if some of the members that post here continue their whining and immaturity, then a site will never get better, as poor behavior begets poor behavior.

I love my FTR. It does have issues (like most first year models from any manufacturer), but I knew about some of them and as for the ones I'm finding out about as I ride the bike more, well, I am living with them and striving to improve the situation. I am hopeful that this site will slowly improve as the whiners leave, the relatively inexperienced riders gather more experience and maturity and the site becomes more informative and enjoyable to take part in. THAT behavior will also beget more of the same, resulting in consistent improvement in the site by attracting more riders and diverse ideas.

S2Davies

Being negative about others negativity......…….does that make a positive? :) Just been out for a spin, still in full fun mode!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
All forums consist of negative aspects of what ever forum you’re on.
Since this is where people come to voice their gripes or to search for solutions to their problems.

Generally people don’t make threads about how happy they are with their bike, since that’s generally a given.

Blue1

Generally people don’t make threads about how happy they are with their bike, since that’s generally a given.

Then you haven't experienced a good forum that is more like a family than a bitch-fest.

If you are on this site, it is because you like and own (or want to own) an FTR. Promoting or defending people that complain about the FTR and threaten (as if I care) to buy another bike is not what FTR riders want to read. This site can't fix their regret at purchasing something they don't like. Their bitterness over their decision makes them want to rain on everyone else's parade.

We would all (well, most of us) like the FTR to be a success for Indian so the bike evolves through successive model years. This would lead to improvement and expanding aftermarket choices. Letting trolls endlessly go on and on to bash the model for which this forum exists is not only counterproductive, it is destructive. I've personally seen other sites go away due to this. It also doesn't help convince Indian that it is worth it to fix the problems; they are in business to make money, if people don't buy the bike due to bitter comments they read here, that only defeats the goal of Indian continuing production and improvement of the model.

If I have a problem with my FTR, I'm going to post looking for help. If I get the help and correct the problem, or figure it out on my own, great. If not, and the problem becomes unbearable for me, I will sell the bike. To do anything else is an assault on the collective here.

If more forum members decided not to put up with this, the whiners will go away. I am not promoting censorship by moderators, I am supporting members that speak out to deny the trolls the pity party which they seek.

K9F

I tend to agree and it has recently happened on the other forum to a member about the FTR and he has subsequently apologised, but this forum is very small and for the sake of decency, politeness and decorum it is a close call whether to call the offender(s) out when historically he/she/they has/have had good contributions to make. Maybe the other forum may be more your scene? Many of us on here are also over there too.

Hopefully it is nothing but a storm in a tea cup and the person/people who has/have caused you to post this thread here will either move on or fix his/her/their current issues and be like the rest of us exuberantly happy.

(y)

Blue1

I tend to agree and it has recently happened on the other forum to a member about the FTR and he has subsequently apologised, but this forum is very small and for the sake of decency, politeness and decorum it is a close call whether to call the offender(s) out when historically he/she/they has/have had good contributions to make. Maybe the other forum may be more your scene? Many of us on here are also over there too.

Hopefully it is nothing but a storm in a tea cup and the person/people who has/have caused you to post this thread here will either move on or fix his/her/their current issues and be like the rest of us exuberantly happy.

(y)

K9F, we seem to be on the same page with a few subjects.

I am on Indian site as well (it has some the same issues, but will probably ride through them because only a small portion of the members have FTRs), but note that site is not the one I refer to in my post; completely different motorcycle.

I am not trying to be a douche (sometimes I may not succeed:)), this isn't my first rodeo and I've been member of sites that have withstood the test of time, and others that have fallen by the wayside due to issues similar to what I see here. I desire to see this site do well and become another "go-to" site for me, but since it is solely concerned with the FTR, it will have to stand on its own merits; it doesn't have the other models to carry the weight for the entire site as does the Indian site.

The very good and successful site I referred to polices itself, the moderators rarely have to step in. If someone is being a troll, they are called out by the collective and the eventually go away. That, however, requires a majority of members with a certain level of maturity.

Hopefully no one will take that as my opinion that this site is full of immature J-Os; it is just that, being a relatively young site, this one doesn't have many members, and sometimes the people with the least discretion and maturity are the first ones to post their two cents. Just like politics; liberals tend to knee jerk and whine, while conservatives are, well, conservative.

Obviously that last statement is very general...I personally know one liberal that doesn't fall back on yelling and hyperbole when his position is totally undermined by logic, he actually explains his perspective in a calm and logical way, which I respect.:)

But I digress; I appreciate your support and hopefully others may see things as we do and the trolls will move on to the next exciting thing in their lives and let us all make this a great site for information and personal interaction.

K9F

Hi Blue1

I am obviously missing something here but as far as I am aware there are no trolls on this site? I know for a fact there are several like-minded people on here that are not afraid to say it like it is, all of them whom I have enjoyed the interaction and information they have to share (they already know who they are). It is my belief that these passionate and vociferous people (myself too on occasion) would not tolerate any trolling. The report button is always there and Ferraiolo does a very good job. This forum is the first I joined and is still in it's infancy but despite being exclusively FTR does seem to be a bit quiet. It needs all the members it can get and hopefully once the current pandemic is over it will pick up drastically. Who knows?

Ferraiolo that's all the sunshine I'm blowing up your crimper for both May and June! 😂

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
No one on here is trolling. They are simply voicing obvious issues and flaws. Yes there was one member who isn’t happy with his bike and went on a few rants on the other forum.

But I’m a moderator on three forums, a few Facebook pages and Instagram for various bikes and trucks, it is what it is. So far all the ftr pages have been great with minimal drama. Almost no oil or chain lube threads.

This thread is really one of the first drama threads we have had on this Ftr page since Mikeg left. If you have an issue with how posts are being made or how the admins are doing their jobs, report it and we will deal with it.

Blue1

Good riddance to Mikeg.

The drama remark was totally uncalled for. I just had enough, and moving forward I was only replying to others comments on my post. My posts were calm, to the point and said exactly what I wanted to say. I want the site to grow and improve for many reasons. It being just any other bike or truck site means that being so-so is acceptable? There is too much BS on the interweb anyway.

BTW, I get it...you do a lot of moderating. That actually tells me quite a bit.

I will take my own medicine and refrain from moving beyond this. I've had my say.