Soon to be new FTR owner in Madison, WI

MSN_Indian

Purchased a 2019 FTR S and pick it up
Next week. Anything I should have the dealer do while they are setting it up ? I’ve heard removing the cat helps with sound ?

Charliemurphay

Purchased a 2019 FTR S and pick it up
Next week. Anything I should have the dealer do while they are setting it up ? I’ve heard removing the cat helps with sound ?
Welcome neighbor (MN)
Removing the cat will definitely make it loud, if you remove it you will need to tune it or you will have a flat spot in power. I removed my cat (paired with the S&S slip on) and I didn’t like how loud it was and put it back on. It’s all about how loud you want it to be. I can say from experience that videos online did not convey how loud it actually was in person without the cat. That being said, if that’s your thing, go for it. Just know it will be REALLY loud.
There are some deals to be had on Indians website for the FTR accessories, coupon code FTR50 will get 50% off of some items even. There is another FTR section on the Indian Motorcycles main forum that has a lot of users and info as well so check it out.

Post pics when you get it!

K9F

Welcome to the forum from T'Other Side of the Pond. Loudness is purely based on personal perception. I run with Akropovics and without a catalytic converter. DB killers or baffles as we call them left in situ. The benefits of running without a cat outweigh leaving it on IMHO. The noise level is perfect, it has a 'distinctive growl' without it being offensive or intrusive. DB killers out and 'catless' is a completely different ballgame however.

I ran without a tune for 10 months in that configuration without any issues. It wasn't until I finally got a tune (I was admittedly late to the party) I realized what exactly I had been missing out on. The flat spot between 4-5krpm had indeed been present but hardly discernible I thought until the tune was tried, the difference was quite profound across the entire range.