STARTING PROBLEMS

Mustacheo

I have a 2019-S model. Shortly after the first service it developed starting problems. the display would boot up just fine but nothing happened when the start button was pushed. Stand was up, trans in neutral, clutch pulled in. NOTHING. dealer insisted battery was to blame and not warranty.m so ok, paid for a new one. a week later same problem. Told dealer that the start switch felt bad. They said it was a connection. a m month later same issue. this time they said it was the starter solonoid. but the part was back ordered from Indian. 2 weeks later they were going to try to get it directly from Spirit Lake. after having it for 6 weeks they put in a new solenoid. that was fall 2021. snow first ride of spring (march of 2022 same problem Love it when it runs, but it's not reliable. any thoughts? or is it just a lemon?
JIM

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
You have a start relay in your fuse panel. And three main fuses under your Battery that can come loose.

K9F

Swap the fan control relay and the start relay over and see where you're at then. I had the exact same issue and even on Digital Wrench it would not state what the issue was. Swapping the relays made the issue disappear. Intermittent relay was the cause.

Charliemurphay

Swap the fan control relay and the start relay over and see where you're at then. I had the exact same issue and even on Digital Wrench it would not state what the issue was. Swapping the relays made the issue disappear. Intermittent relay was the cause.
As others have said, check your fuses, both in the fuse box and under the battery.
I have also had the bad relay with these same symptoms. Ordered one up and swapped it, been fine since. Do what @K9F said and swap one relay with the start relay and see if it cranks. Relays are cheap and easy to fix.

My money is on the relay being the issue.

Fastindianjohn

My 2019 came with a Polaris branded battery that was garbage, and would not hold a charge. I replaced it with a new Yuasa, and have never had any starting problems since. Try that first.

Staedtler

My Polaris branded one was a Yuasa..but I had to have mine replaced (with another Polaris branded Yuasa) too as it had sat in a warehouse for 12months unattended. Not had any problems since

Piccione

With the other bike I have (Moto Morini Granpasso 1200) I had the same problem and it was a relay. Don't know his name in english... in Italy we call it "teleruttore" and it is the big one that gives the start to the bike... I suppose also FTR has one of these installed. Let's see if I can post a pic of mine on the "Granpasso"

Attachments

• TELERTTORE3.jpg
    TELERTTORE3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 8
  • TELERUTTORE1.jpeg
    TELERUTTORE1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

K9F

My 2019 came with a Polaris branded battery that was garbage, and would not hold a charge. I replaced it with a new Yuasa, and have never had any starting problems since. Try that first.
Really? When swapping of the relays costs nothing? He's already had a battery change too!

Piccione

It is simple to see if the problem is that relay: just take an electric wire and join the two poles (you can also make it with needle nose pliers); this gives power straight from the battery to the ignition starter. If the starter runs you have a problem with the relay that is probably dameged...