surging isssue after handlebar change

edgelett

posting here on the off chance there's a hope of getting this sorted.

changed the handlebars last weekend. ever since then the bike surges like a bronco no matter what gear its in and what rpm its in if I hold a constant throttle. it doesn't do it when the cruise control is on so I'm confident its not a fueling issue.

only thing that springs to mind is my other half used detergent to help slide it on the bars (yes I told him not to do that). maybe some got inside the throttle by wire?

I want to try to clean it out if I can but we can't work out how to open it up - the screws are a tiny size and nothing we have fits.

any ideas anyone?

K9F

Hi Edgelett,

If the detergent got in the Fly-By-Wire assembly at the swap-out without dismantling the assembly itself, the only simple solution as an electrician is that you need to slide the assembly off the bars in it's entirety and get a can of isopropyl alcohol spray or Lotoxane or ideally a suitable branded contact cleaner (I use Tygris as it is formulated exactly for such scenarios) and attempt to thoroughly flush the assembly out and subsequently blow out with compressed air. Leave for 24 hours for anything to evaporate and then try the throttle again to see if your situation has been eradicated or improved? If not repeat the process. These assemblies are very delicate and sensitive and I would advise strongly not to dismantle it. Please disconnect the battery before you commence any fettling. Good luck!

Couple of suggestions to follow:

Tygris R235 400ml electrical switch contact cleaner spray 5060253470369 | eBay

IPA ISOPROPYL Alcohol ISOPROPANOL 500ML 99.9% Pure Multipurpose Trigger Spray: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

IMG_1096.jpg

Last edited:

mark.lb

Edgelett - I checked the service/parts list on the Indian website. A new throttle by wire gizmo is $190.00 (US). So it is not a total disaster. If worst comes to worst you could put a new one on.
It might be worth trying a simple hair dryer on low heat before the the contact cleaner as K9F suggested. Detergent might help hold moisture in the unit.

K9F

Great idea about the hair dryer Mark but after flushing the contact cleaner not before, you don't want to harden any contaminants like detergent first. Whilst the cost of a new throttle assembly may be deemed as reasonable, once again the demographics and availability may be an issue? There are months back-order on some parts from the USA at the moment. Am chasing my tail double posting on the other forum on the same issue. Cut and paste:

I can't buy that cleaner stuff locally here and don't really want to wait 3 months for something from amazon UK to get delivered.

any suggestions on where to ask for this type of cleaner or what to ask for?

I guess wd40 is no good?

and how can I flush it if I can't open it up?

Dealer it is then? Was only trying to help to answer your request as to where to look? Try not to look too negatively and over complicate this. What you ask for is written on the can, 'Electrical Cleaner.'

Most chemists or pharmacies over here stock isopropyl alcohol (but not usually in spray form) and any half-decent automotive electrical store or electrical workshop should have some form of contact cleaner. If you can't buy the alcohol in spray form buy a bottle and decant it into a clean household spray bottle and liberally soak the throttle assembly. Your own supposition is water/detergent got in without dismantling in the first place, force it out by use of pressure and copious flushing the same way it migrated within in the first place. Patience and perseverance may pay dividends without the need for dealership and expense? WD is good but again how are you going to get it in based on your perceived desire it needs to be dismantled to achieve this? Also WD leaves a residue and could potentially trap the water inside without adequate access. Alcohol does not as it totally evaporates!

I'm not saying this will solve the issue......but it just might at minimal inconvenience and cost? Up to you? I'm out of any further suggestions.

Apologies I cannot suggest anything about the demographics and 3 month wait for Amazon deliveries apart from upping sticks and moving perhaps, 24 hours here delivery with Amazon Prime?

😇😎

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
its just general no flash electronic cleaner. You can buy it at most autoparts or electronic stores. It doesnt have to be that brand.

WD40 can can work, but not quite as good.

Fuse5

any ideas anyone?
It does´nt sound like a fueling issue now as you describe for sure but i never had like "stalling" issues with the cruise control .. even before PV3.
Only with the throttle things but they are gone by PV3 . Simular symptoms like before updates?

Just guessing.. (my FTR is at the garage/dealer and can´t have a look )
Was´nt there a connector at/in the right handle control ? Maybe loose connection at the pins?
(maybe i´am wrong with that and its not for throttle? don´t have a wiring curcuit by)
Was´nt there an option where you can see a (or any) throttle values if PV3 is connected (alive mode)?
If yes maybe try it with the throttle on the bar and off (slowly and fast) ... values are jumping anywhere or not ..if i am right and you might see.
(would be comfortable with a log file and readable on Dynojet systems ..power core?)

Charliemurphay

You can see throttle positions, both TPS and Load Required and Twist Grip Position. Should be able to see those values without the bike running even.

edgelett

Edgelett - I checked the service/parts list on the Indian website. A new throttle by wire gizmo is $190.00 (US). So it is not a total disaster. If worst comes to worst you could put a new one on.
It might be worth trying a simple hair dryer on low heat before the the contact cleaner as K9F suggested. Detergent might help hold moisture in the unit.
thanks Mark - so probably about $300 AU which isn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting.
will see how we go giving it another crack tonight.

edgelett

its just general no flash electronic cleaner. You can buy it at most autoparts or electronic stores. It doesnt have to be that brand.

WD40 can can work, but not quite as good.
Thank you Mike - There's a local small electronics store here that will likely sell that stuff so I'll head there today and pick some up and give it a go tonight.

Charliemurphay

how can I see those values please?
Need to have the PV3 hooked to the bike and turn the bike on (not start). I forget exactly which menu it’s in (device menu I believe) but you can configure what information is displayed on each screen, up to 4 parameters per screen. Once you have those parameters set up you should be able to watch the values as you move the throttle and see if it jumps around a lot or what.

K9F

With due respect whilst using the PV3 to confirm is another great idea and won't take long, the facts are that this fault manifested itself after the throttle assembly had been disturbed and the PV3 will simply and hopefully confirm everyone's suspicions, including my own?

You will still be faced with the prospect the throttle assembly will most likely still either need replacing or an attempt at cleaning?

I wish you all the best intent and wishes in your current extremely frustrating scenario and will await the resolution with interest.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
you want the throttle position sensor up on your screen.

you can leave it hooked up while riding the bike, just tape it to your tank, and make sure the wiring harness doesnt touch anything hot.

the pv3 is pretty neat once you mess with it.

Charliemurphay

There is a twist grip position readout too so you can see how they correspond to each other and how they are reacting to your inputs.