Suspension settings

fugz

What suspension settings are people using.

Here in the UK with our pot holed roads, the rear in bottoming out on the standard supplied settings. And I'm only 12st (170lbs).
Christ knows what it would be like with a pillion.

I'm going to try Rikosinties advice and stiffen it up. https://www.ftr1200forums.com/threads/suspension-setup.50/

But he is heavier. 17mm seems much too hard for me.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I’m 190 with gear, and I followed the manual for the sag and rebound/compression adjustments for my weight.
The sag is perfect. I think I stiffened you the rebound/comp one click. Haven’t touched it since

oddly it’s the first manual that actually got some what close to where your settings should be.

I know some people are experiencing issues with their suspension, where they can’t feel much of a difference in the settings. Luckily mine isn’t that way

Max Kool

We actually have it easy on this bike imho. Apart from a few clicks here and there when I just got it, and a little extra rear preload, I haven't felt the need to touch it. it's just good (and some is just in our head because the right mix between comfy and firm hardly exists...). Btw, it also depends on your riding style. If you have a more active riding style you tend to use your legs and arms as part of the suspension. Sit on your bike like a bag of potatoes however...

Try setting up a much lighter bike, like 150lbs lighter. That's a much tougher job even when most is adjustable...

Last edited:

edgelett

we adjusted my pre-load sag according to my weight and it's been fine.
There are plenty of pot holes here too, and I might stiffen it a little but it feels pretty good to me.

Murdock

Due to the shit weather I only had a short ride yet but I think the rear might be a bit to soft. I have to adjust two things: the bikes suspension and my own weight (anyway 🤦‍♂️).

K9F

I played with my suspension too and set it up for my weight. A word of caution for those that have 'tail tidies' and have to have larger size plates and their rear number plate on display and not angled under the seat: If you load up the bike or hit a larger pothole there is a slight risk the rear tire may catch the number plate. My tail tidy came from Moore Speed and the plate mounting bracket is hinged so you can adjust accordingly.

You can just make out where the tyre caught the plate below, consider myself lucky I didn't rip the whole lot off..

wb2.jpg

Last edited: