Temperature radiation from rear cylinder

Helge

Hello together

After the first 350mls on FTR 1200 Rally I felt massive heat feeling (low speed and on standing) on my back thighs infact of heat radiation of the cylinder:oops:

Has someone the same "problems"?

Is it normal and has someone a solution on the other hand?
Heat conduction?

Thanks,
Helge

edgelett

all FTR models run quite hot. it's great in winter lol!
only way to 'fix' is to either remove the cat, get a tune, or both.
some people have also put gold foil under the seat which seems to help

Helge

OK (y)
I will try some adhesive aluminium foil from my work which has better reflection properties than gold foil and it´s cheaper ;)

Attachments

• 20200720_114038[1].jpg
    20200720_114038[1].jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

I used a piece of leather to block gap under the seat. Never put on gold foil, still may do. Seems to work for most part. While riding flaps lift a little and vent. image.jpgStill warm but not roasting your chestnuts. Tracker seat might help because I think it closes the gap. That or decat.

Helge

I will evaluate again after 3.000km (y)
If not better I do the adhesive aluminium foil I received now.
Will let you know

Ed Fox

I have put about 1,800 miles on my FTR. The weather here in lower New York has been in the mid 90’s most of the summer and yes, there is a good bit of heat coming up from the right side of the bike while stopped at lights. I did eliminate the CAT and flashed the ECU and that reduced the heat noticeably. Even in the summer heat I have not found it to be a problem. Once I am moving, I really don’t notice it at all. This is a big American V Twin, it’s not a Honda so I say “Man Up Butter Cup” LOL!

JDP

Some guy I can’t remember his company name but he made a leather flap for all the other Indian models and everyone says it works so maybe he will come out with one for the ftr1200