Thoughts on bluetooth headsets for helmets

Sully

Curious what anyone is using for bluetooth headsets in their helmets. I see alot of Sena on the webs. What is the best bang for the buck?

I have a Shoei RF-SR helmet

edgelett

I've got a Sena S10. Works for us because we have it paired to each other's headset, and I can blutooth 2 devices (both my phone and ipod) so i can run music off my ipod rather than my phone and save my phone from going flat.

mark.lb

Sena 20S EVO - Both my son in laws have one as well so we can all communicate when we ride.

Attachments

• 581D8FEB-9FF9-41D6-9491-107B6F484040.jpeg
    581D8FEB-9FF9-41D6-9491-107B6F484040.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21

Greg

I have the Sena 10r (I think)
It’s the slimline version, it looks a lot nicer and unobtrusive when fitted in my opinion. Had it 4yrs now and still works great.

K9F

I have the same as Edgelett. Whilst it is an older model I went for it as I didn't want to overcomplicate things or have to get a Science Degree to fathom out all it's functionality. Your Shoei helmet will have the apertures for the speakers and the microphone and the Sena gear fits perfectly. Whichever model of Sena you buy it will be fit for purpose. Mine is great. Had mine about four years too. If you did end up running the auxiliary cable you bought up to the seat you can keep the Sena fully charged on the go on longer trips?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Ive been using Cardo for years, i had the g9x now currently have the Packtalk, they are one of the only ones to use DMC for connecting to other headsets vs bluetooth.

Murdock

I have an Interphone Tour, also the other guys from my riding group. Works solid and has good sound quality.

Fjalnar

Sena 20S EVO - Both my son in laws have one as well so we can all communicate when we ride.

Same one here. My Girl and I are using the 20S duo package and a friend of mine has a 10S. When we ride together, everyone is connected and I can still here the navigation.

The new 30S is out now, so the 20S should be a little bit cheaper. The 30S is great on distance and the mesh functionality could be cool as well. (With mesh activated, you can here all other "mesh driver" who are coming in range to you.)

Klonny

Ive been using Cardo for years, i had the g9x now currently have the Packtalk, they are one of the only ones to use DMC for connecting to other headsets vs bluetooth.

thinking of getting the Packtalk Bold,wondering can you easily pair with non Packtalk guys Easily? I know it’s possible ( at least on the internet) but is it easy? Thanks

jeniusbiker

I have both Cardo and Sena installed on multiple helmets and prefer the Cardo due to controls and sound quality. The Sena 10r gets used occasionally because I have a helmet with the battery pocket keeping it slimline and its easy enough to use, but the sound quality on calls is crap. The Sena 50 something, can’t remember the letter, is installed on another helmet, has much better sound then the 10, but the wheel control is difficult to use while riding as it require press and turn simultaneously for some function. The Cardo packtalk is installed on my daily use helmet now as its the best sounding and easiest to control while riding. Cardo also has JBL speaker upgrade that I want to try, but not for $80.

Keep in mind that speaker placement is key for best sound as these are not powerful units. You want to have the speakers as close to wearing headphones as possible. My Cardo actually came with spacers to move the speaker closer to my ears creating a snug fit.

cupcake_mike

I've used several sena 3s in my helmets for a bunch of years. Not as many features as lot the higher end units but good battery life (music 10-12 hrs at full volume) and I'm told that the (mic) sound quality is really good, by the people who call me and I accidentally pickup while riding (it will answer if the wind noise is just right, thinking it is you saying hello). It is a completely self contained unit, battery is built in the speakers I guess, with a slim 2 button controller that mounts inside the helmet, via double sided tape, by the mouth vent. I like it mostly because it is unobtrusive, cheap ($60 maybe?), sounds good and charges quick (maybe 2 hours or so). I have never needed to intercom with anyone but I think it might do that too? Like I said, i'm told the mic picks up my voice good and filters out the wind noise, but anytime I get a call I usually pull over since I dont like the distraction. I've turned the "phone" setting off a bunch of times but it doesnt hold it that way after a couple months or so.

I also picked up a no name knock-off of the sena 3 off amazon a few months back with similar features and about twice the battery life for 25 or 30 bucks and so far so good.

MilwDave

Sena has introduced HD speakers. I picked a couple of sets to upgrade our 20S units. I can report they make a huge difference and are nearly the equal of the JBL speakers that came with the Cardo TalkPack Black I bought to use on the FTR.

Last edited:

BoomBoom

I think it's a setting issue for me. I can hear everything fine unless I'm connected with another rider.

D

Deleted member 706

Thanks but no thanks. I mostly ride alone and don't want to listen to music or chat on the phone. I wear earplugs to protect the hearing I haven't lost yet.
I have a phone in my pocket it receives emails, texts and voicemail. I'll get back to the real world in due course...

mark.lb

SiriusXM on the “in helmet“ speakers for me. Hair Nation or Classic Rewind on the FTR. Yacht Rock on the Chief Vintage!