Thoughts on the FTR

KRS Fuel

Hello

Bought a new s model at the end of April for $10,200 (before tax, so about $11k OTD) as the dealer was pretty adamant to move a unit during the rona shutdowns. I am very happy with the bike and grateful to own an american machine that isn’t the typical cruiser or bobber.

The good: Great styling, chassis/handling, quality brakes and suspension and overall great fit and finish.

The bad: My main beef is mostly the astoundingly bad factory fueling. I know it can be fixed with an aftermarket tune, but im still a little salty to have to spend more money to make it right. Oh well.

Me being picky: I know the factory tires are a styling thing but some quality rubber wouldn’t hurt. Also, for an over-square high-ish output 1200cc engine it’d be nice to see some higher spec parts and maybe 150hp/100ft-lbs and maybe an 11k rpm rev limit.

Overall: Great machine and very happy with it. Riding it is a blast and thats what its all about. If it’d only stop stalling ....9CA7F2BE-E12E-41FE-8BB1-A0E6652FEDF3.jpegDDC59829-52C2-46B7-BBEA-3E56E4758F61.jpeg

Last edited:

EllenGtrGrl

Nice!, and at an even better price than I paid for my baseline FTR 1200 ($11,000 out the door for me in late February). I wonder if your bike didn't get the latest factory firmware flash for the fueling and engine control. Mine has it, and it ran like a top when I went for a ride yesterday (which was the first ride of any significance I've been able to take, since I bought the bike).

Ellen - debating if she wants to go for a spin on her FTR 1200, considering how sweaty she got yesterday (it's just as hot and humid today), and that it means once again, pulling the car out of the parking spot, so she can get her bike out of the space it occupies, which is between two land yacht sized SUVs (one on each side of her parking space).

Charliemurphay

Congrats that’s a crazy price on an S model. I looked at my dealer just yesterday and all of their FTR’s are still at $16-17k for S and RR respectively BEFORE tax/title/license. I thought I got my S for a deal at $14.5...

Scarecrow

Congrats that’s a crazy price on an S model. I looked at my dealer just yesterday and all of their FTR’s are still at $16-17k for S and RR respectively BEFORE tax/title/license. I thought I got my S for a deal at $14.5...
$16-17k is pretty high right now, prices have gone way down. Seeing some of the S models around 12-13 before tax and fees. But 10,200 is the best I’ve heard of now. Just bought my RR for 15400 after Fees and taxes. The dealer said that’s the lowest they could go on the RR but said they’d give me an extra 2000 on the trade in I had. Other dealers had my trade in at $9000 they did $11,000 for me. The dealer who was offering $9000 wanted $14500 for the RR before tax and tag but they do not charge fees so I think it would have ended up being about the same out the door price, possibly a little less, but $2000 less on the trade in.

Last edited:

Charliemurphay

Yea, I don’t regret buying when I did because I was still sold on the bike and $14.5k was a good price at the time. That and I got 10% off any accesories (meh I only wanted the clear signals and side bag mount) and my dealer throws in the first two years of recommended services for free so I don’t mind that either.

KRS Fuel

Congrats that’s a crazy price on an S model. I looked at my dealer just yesterday and all of their FTR’s are still at $16-17k for S and RR respectively BEFORE tax/title/license. I thought I got my S for a deal at $14.5..
Thanks lol. The bike is a 19 so it had been sitting a long time, combined with not hardly selling anything due to rona I’m sure they wanted to move it. The dealer wanted the usual 16 to start but then whittled down to 12 and then they wouldn’t move. I wanted to be at 11 otd so a few days later they said we’ll do that. Wasn’t desperate to buy but figured heck if i can be where i want in price ill do it.

Charliemurphay

Mine had been sitting a while too (built in May of ‘19 and I bought it March 7 this year) so that’s my guess as to why it was lower than the others on the floor. No regrets it’s been a great bike, no battery issue, typical occasional cold stall but not awful. It got the factory ecu update and it’s been fine in my eyes.

Scarecrow

Yea, I don’t regret buying when I did because I was still sold on the bike and $14.5k was a good price at the time. That and I got 10% off any accesories (meh I only wanted the clear signals and side bag mount) and my dealer throws in the first two years of recommended services for free so I don’t mind that either.
Still is a good price today in my opinion I seen some 12-13k when I was shopping but like I said that was before taxes tag and fees etc. All that added will easily bring it up to or over 14.5k.

KRS Fuel

Mine had been sitting a while too (built in May of ‘19 and I bought it March 7 this year) so that’s my guess as to why it was lower than the others on the floor. No regrets it’s been a great bike, no battery issue, typical occasional cold stall but not awful. It got the factory ecu update and it’s been fine in my eyes.
Mine hasn’t had any battery issues at all, but I’m wondering if I don’t have the latest ecu tune. Mine is just so cold blooded. It usually dies 2 or 3 times on cold start when its idling and warming. When hot its much better but it occasionally dies at lights. More annoying is the choppyness between 3 and 4k and surging/hunting. It has a weird delay when blipping the throttle too. Town riding its just kinda bucky and surgey. Above 4.5k it runs great. Still love it though its so fun. I’ll just tune it in a bit. The motor loosening up im sure will help some.

Charliemurphay

It does sound like maybe you have the ORIGINAL original tune because on first start of the day mine stumbles a bit but hasn’t died in over a week. It very very occasionally still does but it’s not very often and only once per start. Mine had/has twitchiness between 3-4K too and on somebodies suggestion I tried going Sport mode, Track-ABS/TC OFF and that actually did seem to smoothen things out. Placebo maybe? But seemed to work for me. Eventually I will tune it too, but waiting til I get an exhaust for it to do that.

KRS Fuel

I need to start paying you to vehicle shop for me.
Lol i just got lucky on this one, combo of old model and timing of current events. Was honestly surprised they said OK, but i was perfectly happy not to buy as well. Made some very bad buys in the past, now I’m one of those pain in the butt customers that scrutinizes every dollar. I enjoy the wheeling and dealing and watching the sales people run around and get all in a huff. I’m very mellow and patient and never buy right away. If i shoot out an aggressive number I figure salesperson desperation will kick in and they’ll either call or they won’t. Always other dealers to try or i can nudge up in small increments. Same way with cars (unless its a rare car or something) try a few dealers, one is bound bend a lot because sales people are like starving wolves lol.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
That’s a great deal. And you knew the performance specs before buying.

as far as the tune, EVERY modern bike that’s strangled with epa emissions needs abetter tune to fix the fueling. Yamaha is FAR worse than Indian for fuel cut. Other than the cold stalling the rest of the Indian tune is pretty much the norm.
If you dropped over $10k on a bike. What’s another $350

KRS Fuel

That’s a great deal. And you knew the performance specs before buying.

as far as the tune, EVERY modern bike that’s strangled with epa emissions needs abetter tune to fix the fueling. Yamaha is FAR worse than Indian for fuel cut. Other than the cold stalling the rest of the Indian tune is pretty much the norm.
If you dropped over $10k on a bike. What’s another $350
Oh for sure. Yeah the epa is a real damper on stuff. Just got back from a ride and it only died 3 times warming up and 0 times after. Its not too bad haha I’ll just buy the tune and she’ll be gtg!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
It does get better over time
With the cold stalls. And Indian has a new update for it. But the new update with the tuner doesn’t jive well.
Best combination is the original bike software and the new tuner software

senninha13

Hello

Bought a new s model at the end of April for $10,200 (before tax, so about $11k OTD) as the dealer was pretty adamant to move a unit during the rona shutdowns. I am very happy with the bike and grateful to own an american machine that isn’t the typical cruiser or bobber.

The good: Great styling, chassis/handling, quality brakes and suspension and overall great fit and finish.

The bad: My main beef is mostly the astoundingly bad factory fueling. I know it can be fixed with an aftermarket tune, but im still a little salty to have to spend more money to make it right. Oh well.

Me being picky: I know the factory tires are a styling thing but some quality rubber wouldn’t hurt. Also, for an over-square high-ish output 1200cc engine it’d be nice to see some higher spec parts and maybe 150hp/100ft-lbs and maybe an 11k rpm rev limit.

Overall: Great machine and very happy with it. Riding it is a blast and thats what its all about. If it’d only stop stalling ....

first off, beautiful bike... i didn't see the pictures until i signed up (which i just did). i'm very curious about the pricing you got your bike for, as i have made standing offers of $14.5 OTD on a RR all over the country and not a single one has taken me up on it. considering the regular S is only $1500 cheaper, that would mean dozens of dealers turning me down at $13k OTD on a regular S... which your saying is two grand more than you paid OTD?!?

a bit skeptical, but genuinely interested... if i could get a regular S for $11k brand new OTD, i'd jump on it in a heartbeat. so, as a fellow attempting-to-be-an-FTR-owner guy, can you offer some insight?