Throttle return spring

Tombo66

Anyone else think the throttle return spring is a bit strong? I’ve owned many bikes and have never felt such a strong return spring. I like to ride with a loose grip, and would prefer a softer return.
And yes, I’m …. Particular about my bike setup, some may say completely anal about it. But hey, nothing feels better than having your bike setup exactly the way you like it.
Anyone else notice this?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Nothing you can do about it. the throttle housing is a sealed unit. But you can always use the cruise control if you need a break

mcpt1

Interesting post, I've got a 22 carbon and think the return spring on the throtthrottlnot stiff enough, I've suspected it as the cause of some reports of surging. I've noticed that with a light grip, undulating pavement causes my throttle hand to move a bit and cause what might feel like surging to some

pushit

Anyone else think the throttle return spring is a bit strong? I’ve owned many bikes and have never felt such a strong return spring. I like to ride with a loose grip, and would prefer a softer return.
And yes, I’m …. Particular about my bike setup, some may say completely anal about it. But hey, nothing feels better than having your bike setup exactly the way you like it.
Anyone else notice this?
I'm not crazy about throttle-by-wire in general, I feel like this gives it a loose/delayed/inconsistent/non-responsive throttle. Not very easy to be smooth with this bike. Combine that with the very strong engine braking, if you're not careful, a FTR can rock you back and forth like you're on a mechanical bull.

Interesting post, I've got a 22 carbon and think the return spring on the throtthrottlnot stiff enough, I've suspected it as the cause of some reports of surging. I've noticed that with a light grip, undulating pavement causes my throttle hand to move a bit and cause what might feel like surging to some
On a flat, smooth road, tight or loose grip on throttle, at 3000-3750rpms, any gear above 1st, ...you should feel it. It's poor ecm fuel mapping, many have said gets fixed after getting an aftermarket tune

Max Kool

All depends on how smooth the bike runs on general, and if it surges or not. A stock 2019 FTR feels weird. There's milliseconds delays in throttle response, and surging. It also feels like you sometimes get more than you asked for. After a tune this was all gone and my FTR feels sharp, responsive and direct.

Both my bikes have throttle by wire. Both feel very direct now.

(my Ducati with a regular cable throttle and a progressive "cable ramp" felt much, much worse)