TIDY TAIL OR NOT?

Sullaha

Looking at the angles I think most spray will hit a pillion (of which I dont have one) and not much on me but I can live with it as not a lot of rain in N. TX.
The water from the rear tyre will hit you. I found out the other day that (without the stock plate holder and guard) that the water hits you in the back of the head and when you look down at the dash it hits the back of your neck and runs down inside your jacket💩

Breto

Powerbronze make a hugger, but it's not very long and does nothing to stop rain/mud going up your back.
it stops a little coming up under the bike but it's really only for looks.
And they look bloody cool I must say…👍😎👏

Breto

I’ve gone past this flat track stuff…I just love the way mine looks now with real tyres and an awesome exhaust…mines more motard now if anything, but then again that’s just my take on it…👍😎

FTR London

I’ve gone past this flat track stuff…I just love the way mine looks now with real tyres and an awesome exhaust…mines more motard now if anything, but then again that’s just my take on it…👍😎
Absolutely - and it looks great.

Saying that..."this flat track stuff" - that was/is the general idea as much of a misnomer that it proved to be.

I'm completely the reverse. Want it to be spartan and as much as possible, the raw style and uncompromised spirit of a street tracker. Real tyres? :LOL: Have you ever ridden a modern silica rich dual sport tyre?

I have the Conti Road Attack III fitted and as great as they are, they look absolutely shit on this motorcycle imo. Changing them next month along with the horrible standard bars.

FTR London

RA 3’s…real tyres as apposed to the crap dunlops it came with…yes I have, I do and I love them. 👍😎
I know you have - we've discussed it innumerable times on here. Great tyres and far superior to the DT-3s which aren't a dual sport tyre at all, rather derived from their dirt racing counterparts. Unlike the Dunlops. I obviously haven't seen you ride, but I'd guess that you haven't pushed them to anywhere near their limits. The RA IIIs are a very, very good product for this bike. they look completely wrong on it though which is why I'm changing mine. As I said, some of the modern silica rich dual sport tyres on the market are excellent. Might opt for the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs (which come standard on the FTR Rally). Took a friend's street scrambler out last weekend which is shod with the same and it was effortless scraping the pegs. Really responsive too. Surprised me.

Regarding the OEM Dunlops - as I've said before, this guy ain't faring too bad is he? and I'll wager riding as well as anyone on this forum...

Breto

Correct you haven’t seen me ride and as far as limits are concerned I ride to my own ability while I do trust the rubber under me. I’ve punted the RA3’s around race tracks and on road. Actually if you want limits I suggest you talk to Max. He has definitely punched them to the max ( no pun intended Max)…the canyon roads he rides and obviously his riding style has seen zero chicken strips on his RA3’s. My Thruxton is shod with Rosso corsas and it’s the same. Awesome grip and handling. Pushing tyres to their limit has never been high on my agenda. Trusting your rubber and what they can do combined with the correct suspension set up has. The dunlops for me were way too underrated for my style and speeds and the RA3’s transformed the bikes handling. Combine that with the lack of mould release compound and a shark skin feel that means you can go ballistic with them from the time you fit them, I’m very happy. With all their characteristics and looks and the engineering behind the tyre, I haven’t a bad word to say about them at all.

FTR London

Correct you haven’t seen me ride and as far as limits are concerned I ride to my own ability while I do trust the rubber under me. I’ve punted the RA3’s around race tracks and on road. Actually if you want limits I suggest you talk to Max. He has definitely punched them to the max ( no pun intended Max)…the canyon roads he rides and obviously his riding style has seen zero chicken strips on his RA3’s. My Thruxton is shod with Rosso corsas and it’s the same. Awesome grip and handling. Pushing tyres to their limit has never been high on my agenda. Trusting your rubber and what they can do combined with the correct suspension set up has. The dunlops for me were way too underrated for my style and speeds and the RA3’s transformed the bikes handling. Combine that with the lack of mould release compound and a shark skin feel that means you can go ballistic with them from the time you fit them, I’m very happy. With all their characteristics and looks and the engineering behind the tyre, I haven’t a bad word to say about them at all.
Absolute agree with everything you say - superb tyres. Simply that, I don't like the look of them on this bike. The point I was making is that most FTR owners won't come anywhere near the limits of what is a very capable tyre and that 99% of their riding could be catered for by a quality dual sport tyre. There will of course always be exceptions.

I have pretty much always had Rosso Corsas on the R1. Great tyres.

Last edited:

Breto

If they were available from Pirelli in the standard sizes I’d fit them too but alas they are not…hence RA3’s

C-KicksXL

I didnt mind the look of the stock plate holder but I have considered putting it back on. even when its dry sometimes i get small pieces of gravel on the seat.