tire alternatives

Blue1

I am at the limit of the OEM tires and would like to find a 60-series set of road tires that would let me at least find the peg feelers.

What has everyone out there tried? Would like to here opinions on squeezing 160 section tire on the OEM width wheel.

59supercharger

Motor Cycle News have fitted Pirelli Scorpion Trail 11s which they reckon have transformed the Bike and a must for FTR Owners - they have a long term test Bike with 5342 Miles on it

Ironschwein

I wait until Michelin puts a tire on the market on my monster the Road 5 which is first choice in wet conditions. Sorry for my bad English

Max Kool

I woudn't wait for Michelin Road 5 in the FTR sizes, there are plenty other manufacturers that are just as good. Bridgestone T31, Conti RA3...

Odds are Michelin will tell you to use the Anakee Adventure btw

jojo

Well, my problem is at 5'6" I'm on my tip toes, and worse since I installed the S&S Grand National exhaust. I am leaning towards a set of BST carbon fiber 17" wheels front and back and then a better assortment of tires to choose from.

edgelett

Well, my problem is at 5'6" I'm on my tip toes, and worse since I installed the S&S Grand National exhaust. I am leaning towards a set of BST carbon fiber 17" wheels front and back and then a better assortment of tires to choose from.
I've just put on a pair of Conti Road Attack 3's and i'm now a bit closer to the ground.

S2Davies

Did a nice 120 mile round trip up to Warwick, round south of Birmingham then across to Leicestershire, lovely weather in the UK at the moment. Unfortunately when I got home I saw this...….thumbnail[1].jpg...….. I guess I've got to make a decision now. I must admit, I do quite like the quirky look of the stock tyres but I haven't pushed them too hard yet, and all the riding I have done so far has predominantly been in ideal condition, so I might have to follow everyone's advise and start looking at alternatives.

mark.lb

I too am at the point of having to decide on which tire to buy. I have about 500-600 miles left on my rear DT3R but the front is only about half way. I am no Street Rossi but I do ride fairly aggressively. I think the DT3Rs are actually a pretty sticky tire with good performance. I really like the way they look on the bike. Very unique - nothing out there looks like an FTR with DT3Rs. My gut tells me if I pushed my FTR and the DT3Rs to their limit, I would probably be well past my own safety and skill levels anyway. So far the DT3Rs have served me well and they look great!

K9F

Stu,

Pull it and plug it. Invest in a Dynaplug Kit. They are a permanent fix and have saved my bacon twice. Bought a 260 Metzeler rear for the Harley not even 100 miles on it had a screw in the tyre. 3000 miles later still ok. Below are the contents of my puncture repair kit. Small and compact.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NXRNEDC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

S2Davies

Stu,

Pull it and plug it. Invest in a Dynaplug Kit. They are a permanent fix and have saved my bacon twice. Bought a 260 Metzeler rear for the Harley not even 100 miles on it had a screw in the tyre. 3000 miles later still ok. Below are the contents of my puncture repair kit. Small and compact.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NXRNEDC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for that. I must admit, I looked at a few types of systems available on the net, but just didn't know if they were viable. All I can say is, thanks again and my Amazon order is on it's way :)

Reactions: K9F

K9F

If you ever have to use it in anger it's the quickest way to get back on the road. No more than 5 minute fix. Second time I used it on a mates rear tyre it took two plugs to seal, you can use a maximum of four apparently. On larger tyres you need to carry 4-6 CO2 cartridges to get optimum pressure, often 3 is recommended but on fat tyres this will give you only about 20-25psi, enough to get you home but not enough to ride normally. (y)

K9F

With my mild OCD I have to admit I bought two identical kits. One remains permanently in my other steed's swing arm bag and the second I keep in a pouch for the FTR. I was worried if I kept transferring from bike to bike there would come a time I needed it and lo and behold it was sat at home with the other bike. Amazing how many others ride without a thought about carrying a puncture repair kit. I was a bit of a 'smug git' when I helped my mate out. He bought a kit the following week and even replaced the plugs I used and the CO2 cartridges on his tyre bless him.

😄