tire alternatives

S2Davies

@Stu,

How did you get on with the Dynaplug Kit?
Ahh......when I pulled the nail out, it was U shaped so I wasn't too sure if it had done some damage on the inside of the tyre. I have been wracking my brain trying to work out the physics of just how a U shaped nail got in there. The width of the U was pretty close to the thickness of the rubber, and if it went in straight and got bent over when the wheel rotated and it hit the road, it was bent in the wrong directing! Still, because of my concerns about the inside of the tyre, and the fact the weather was cr*p, I took the wheel out and got it repaired at a local bike repair place. The inside of the tyre was polished by the nail but not damaged (lucky). I watched the chap do the repair and he was very meticulous.
I was having a think about the puncture , I passed my test in 1978 and I have always had bikes. Now if I remember correctly, this was only my second ever puncture! So I probably shouldn't feel too sorry for myself :)
I have purchased one of those kits you recommended, it now permanently lives in my bike jacket now, you cant be too careful.

K9F

No worries Stu. Glad you got it sorted. I also have only had two punctures but each time was memorable as I couldn't have been more remote or inconvenient at each occurrence. I realistically carry it for others as much as myself. Use the Dynaplug once you'll see exactly how good it is. Part time starts next week for me. Must arrange another hook up last one was spooky how our paths had intermingled in our Service days, I could have carried on chatting for hours.

S2Davies

No worries Stu. Glad you got it sorted. I also have only had two punctures but each time was memorable as I couldn't have been more remote or inconvenient at each occurrence. I realistically carry it for others as much as myself. Use the Dynaplug once you'll see exactly how good it is. Part time starts next week for me. Must arrange another hook up last one was spooky how our paths had intermingled in our Service days, I could have carried on chatting for hours.
Totally agree, was very cool meeting up. I started back last week and so far it's been a bit of a culture shock after 10 weeks off...…….looking forward to retirement now :)

Fourus4

Anybody on the way with Pirelli Scorpion Trail II ?
Just put a pair on my bike. Love em, but secretly I wish I went with the 160 in the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_20200514_205540_973.jpg
    IMG_20200514_205540_973.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 20200514_180600.jpg
    20200514_180600.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37

Max Kool

I need some words !?!? How do you like them (you must, you bought a second) ???? How do they stick ???? How many miles did you get ???? I need some one else to do the math for me lol !?!?
I like them perfect. My tires have a bad life here. No straights, only corners.
They typically wear harder on the sides than in the center (which shows). Yet, I love these. Plenty of grip, and loads of road feel, way more than stock. They never let go in situations where the DT3-R’s would start squirming quite a lot sooner.

Slightly over 4.5k miles. The center had still some meat left but considering I only ride for fun I replaced them -working from home till the end of the year I guess-.

Highly advised 👍🏻

Ultratoad

I like them perfect. My tires have a bad life here. No straights, only corners.
They typically wear harder on the sides than in the center (which shows). Yet, I love these. Plenty of grip, and loads of road feel, way more than stock. They never let go in situations where the DT3-R’s would start squirming quite a lot sooner.

Slightly over 4.5k miles. The center had still some meat left but considering I only ride for fun I replaced them -working from home till the end of the year I guess-.

Highly advised 👍🏻
Much thanks.... Very valuable....

jojo

I'm looking for some input from you all; I am 5'6" and trying to get my FTR a little lower, and lighter. I have the S&S Grand National full exhaust which makes it even more challenging. I am thinking about BST carbon wheels for the weight reduction, as well as the possibility of going to 17" front and rear (lower). I'm looking for pros and cons in this subject. Thanks!

mark.lb

I posted this in another thread that discussed choosing the Standard vs S model:

I have also seen posts on this forum about changing wheel sizes and using tire sizes other than the 150/70-18 inch rear and 120/70-19 inch front that come stock. This may be problematic. The IMU and it’s location on the motorcycle has been calibrated to the stock wheel and tire sizes and can be affected by changing either. Indian warns against this in the Help Center. Here is the statement: [Note that altering the mounting position of the IMU or changing wheel or tire size may result in an unsafe riding condition.] I don’t know how critical this is but Indian felt it necessary to make a recommendation against altering wheel and tire sizes.

That being said I am also very interested in the performance of 160 rear tires. I know some members on the forum are running them.

FTR London

Apart from looking super aggressive and very cool, the Pirelli Rally STRs allow me to do pretty much everything I could on the Continental Road Attack IIIs and more. Sure, the latter had a tad more feel and were more immediate/responsive on the road than the dual sports tyre. But when this happens...

IMG_20220705_204202141.jpgIMG_20220705_204205228.jpgIMG-20220706-WA0008.jpg

...I am reminded of my off road days and my trials bikes. Nails, glass, screws - just pull 'em out and carry on. With the old Contis, this would have been a plug, and possibly a new rear tyre.