Turn Signal Question

J0988

Hello All!

So I’ve been wanting to get new turn signals for a while. The factory North American turn signals are really the only truly ugly part of the FTR IMO. I’ve always splurged and got nice LED turn signals, but never really understood the massive price differential in turn signals.

I’ll probably end up getting some from NRC or get some Kuryakyn By Kellermann, but it’s always tempting when I’m on Amazon and I see multiple different turn signals for under $50 a pair. Does anyone have good answers or experience as to why most ‘brand name’ turn signals are $50+ usd each while there are pairs on Amazon for $12. Is it really just build quality?

Someone talk me out of getting cheap turn signals...or talk me into it lol.

Thanks!

K9F

..........Someone talk me out of getting cheap turn signals...or talk me into it lol.

Thanks!

Easy one this!!!!

Rizoma are another good plug and play brand.

If you have a hotline to a former member called Sprock3t Monst3r give him a call, maybe he'll explain the pitfalls of what possible effect self spliced turn signals will have on the running of your bike and the question of warranty perhaps?

My advice there are plenty of good quality plug and play ones that are compatible with CanBus. You've already mentioned a couple. It'll save you coming back asking questions like "What value resisters do I need?" Or "Anyone know what wattage or resistance values the OEM indicators are?"

Spend a bit more and do the job once instead of f**king about trying to adapt something cheap to work and then possibly ending up in a World of pain on your own with little support from the Mothership..

**Late Edit** This can all be so easily avoided if you buy right:

OEM turn signals - 12V, xxA? xxW? - required values for aftermarket turn signal resistors | Indian FTR1200 Modifications | Indian FTR1200 Forum (ftr1200forums.com)

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
You get what you pay for. but i personally am not a fan of wiring in load resistors, as they can fail, get hot, and take up space. So i searched for signals that didnt require them

Charliemurphay

Might also look into the European market signals made for the FTR. They are much slimmer than the US ones and are factory. I picked up a set of clear ones from MooreSpeed. Took awhile to arrive but much happier with them than the chunky US spec ones.

J0988

Easy one this!!!!

Rizoma are another good plug and play brand.

If you have a hotline to a former member called Sprock3t Monst3r give him a call, maybe he'll explain the pitfalls of what possible effect self spliced turn signals will have on the running of your bike and the question of warranty perhaps?

My advice there are plenty of good quality plug and play ones that are compatible with CanBus. You've already mentioned a couple. It'll save you coming back asking questions like "What value resisters do I need?" Or "Anyone know what wattage or resistance values the OEM indicators are?"

Spend a bit more and do the job once instead of f**king about trying to adapt something cheap to work and then possibly ending up in a World of pain on your own with little support from the Mothership..

**Late Edit** This can all be so easily avoided if you buy right:

OEM turn signals - 12V, xxA? xxW? - required values for aftermarket turn signal resistors | Indian FTR1200 Modifications | Indian FTR1200 Forum (ftr1200forums.com)
Thanks for the info! Dang Sprock3t Monst3r isn’t a member anymore? Must have gotten rid of his FTR. I know he said he never trusted it to run properly.

K9F

No he's not, threw his toys out of the cot, spat his pacifier out and scuttled off hence the hotline reference. His bike was at the dealers with serious problems the Mothership appeared to be blaming on the turn signals.

Buy 'quality' and buy once, something proven preferably without the hassle of splicing or the need for load equalizers.

J0988

Here’s what I decided on:
E0A46ABF-F8AA-4230-AE8F-213402102E1A.jpeg8BDF68D4-3CCE-4CDA-944F-2E607A31A338.jpegD9D88658-80F3-40E2-ADD5-52202B3168C1.jpeg34E7E52B-4EF4-423C-9FDF-3E351AD00140.jpeg
C128FECC-90B9-4C12-A0C2-96B4BAC1517E.jpeg

Might seem a little roundabout to put the NRC front turn signals on the rear other than just getting the NRC fender eliminator, but I like how it looks and wanted to be a little different. These turn signals were actually a little smaller than I was expecting which was a pleasant surprise. I also really like how they light up on both sides.

Last edited:

J0988

Okay, so finally springtime here in the central US, and I’ve gotten a chance to ride a little more. Definitely a thumbs down on the NRC turn signals. They do clean up the looks of the bike without having to do any splicing or buying new brackets, they also look great at night, but they are woefully cheap-looking and dim during the day. Anyone figure out any solutions for turn signals using the factory brackets? I’m just really not a fan of any of the factory options. I had these on my last bike and I’m thinking about giving them a try:

6C98F123-3345-426D-91E5-84D427C3D4B9.jpeg

I may just end up going with the kuryakyn by kellermann bullets, but that will require going a completely different direction with my lighting setup requiring new brackets and such.

Last edited:

J0988

Also, if anyone is interested in the NRC front turn signals to match their NRC fender eliminator, I have 2 pairs for sale😁

Studi FTR 1200 S

Wunderkind Deutschland Passagier auf original Halterungen

Attachments

• D969C4BF-7C77-4FC3-B0B9-3915B4B407AF.jpeg
    D969C4BF-7C77-4FC3-B0B9-3915B4B407AF.jpeg
    840.9 KB · Views: 44
  • A0E5B612-AC20-4456-A916-836276CB8004.jpeg
    A0E5B612-AC20-4456-A916-836276CB8004.jpeg
    728.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 5B297AF8-63BB-4A2E-A956-CAEA68FC6F6E.jpeg
    5B297AF8-63BB-4A2E-A956-CAEA68FC6F6E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43

Studi FTR 1200 S

W.ww.wunderkind-Custom.com Blinker kosten 129 Euro entspricht ca. 150US-Dollar

Attachments

• 2CFE42EE-596A-4097-A920-530082996C97.png
    2CFE42EE-596A-4097-A920-530082996C97.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 20

JDP

Brackets are cheap
So no resisters were needed ? I have two for the rear but never installed them because I was told they wouldn’t work because it’s a different system or some BS thing like that, I guess I’ll try to install them

K9F

There have been issues with the latest Scouts trying to fit these as the wiring on the USA models differ. Kellermann have produced a module called iLash that is supposed to be plug and play and works with European models but not apparently on the USA ones. There is plenty of information on this issue on the other forum.

Check before you buy Kellermann or you could end up wasting money?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
So no resisters were needed ? I have two for the rear but never installed them because I was told they wouldn’t work because it’s a different system or some BS thing like that, I guess I’ll try to install them
Nope. The main reason I bought them. Going on almost two years now with them. Zero issues.
I’ve installed them on two ftrs

Charliemurphay

Where are people getting the Wunderkind parts from? Their site doesn't let me select shipping to the USA (probably DOT restrictions?)
They are not shipping to the US at this time as they said that everything they shipped was being returned to them by DHL because COVID. That was what they told me in an email last time I tried to order some stuff. Feel free to reach out to them and see if they are still experiencing issues, they are pretty responsive.