Which aftermarket seat?

r3z

Should one get the Corbin Gunfighter saddle or the SADDLEMEN Track-LS? Which one is better?

Ultratoad

Difficult question.... I have had both saddles.... Both are made with quality materials.... I bought the Saddleman GP for my FTR and love it.... Saddleman has far superior customer service, they will actually talk to you and e-mail back quickly-- Corbin not so much.... Several people have commented that the Corbin ramps you closer to the tank.... The Saddleman GP is designed to put your legs a little closer to the ground (angular cut at the nose).... I had mine done with red thread and logo-- came out perfect and really sets off the FTR's appearance....

K9F

Seats are an unusual purchase a bit like 'buying a crash helmet without trying it on' it is often a grossly underestimated important piece of equipment. You can spend big money buying one off the shelf only to find it is both uncomfortable and not as stylish as one would have wished. From experience it is much better to source a seat base and/or have one built from the ground up or alternatively have your own seat reworked with the materials, foam density, gel inserts of your choice. It can then be reworked afterwards if it doesn't suit to get it exactly right.

SURLY

Seats are an unusual purchase a bit like 'buying a crash helmet without trying it on' it is often a grossly underestimated important piece of equipment. You can spend big money buying one off the shelf only to find it is both uncomfortable and not as stylish as one would have wished. From experience it is much better to source a seat base and/or have one built from the ground up or alternatively have your own seat reworked with the materials, foam density, gel inserts of your choice. It can then be reworked afterwards if it doesn't suit to get it exactly right.
Like this, one and a half inches lower and quite nice looking.

Attachments

• quilt.jpg
    quilt.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 144

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Lots of complaints about the corbin on facebook and the other forum. Ive yet to hear one back thing about SADDLEMEN.

Ive never sat on a corbin i liked on other bikes, i havent sat on an ftr corbin yet.

Unruly Rider

Should one get the Corbin Gunfighter saddle or the SADDLEMEN Track-LS? Which one is better?

Lots of complaints about the corbin on facebook and the other forum. Ive yet to hear one back thing about SADDLEMEN.

Ive never sat on a corbin i liked on other bikes, i havent sat on an ftr corbin yet.
I've owned both on previous Dyna's I owned... Saddlemen was always more comfortable and better built. I'll be purchasing the Saddlemen Track-LS by the end of the month myself.

edgelett

I'll be going to a local company when I get mine done for 2 reasons:
1) it will be cheaper lol
2) i can talk to them about exactly what I want.

I am quite interested in a Saddlemen, but the cost of getting one here is a bit much.
The local guys re-did the seat on my Hornet and it's great, so I'll get them to do something custom for me on the FTR.

K9F

Quite often (twice for me) I have had seats 'reworked' or built and it ends up being a damn sight less expensive and exactly what you are after. This is of course if you are lucky enough to have a good reputable upholsterer within striking distance of home? Myself and a few associates have used these guys as an example of what can be done.

r3z

I'm leaning more towards the Saddleman Track-LS. I don't need to worry about the seat height being 6'4. After riding the stock since getting the bike on the 4th and iowa temps being relatively cool the stock seat runs fairly warm .

mark.lb

I plan to add the gold foil for summer riding. The heat from the rear cylinder actually keeps you butt toasty on winter/spring rides!

Ultratoad

Do all 3 models of the Saddleman lower you about 1 1/2 inches?

I can only speak for the Saddleman GP model.... The actual saddle height is very similar to stock.... BUT the nose section is not as wide, and cut down at a fairly steep angle.... This causes your feet to touch the ground sooner.... It feels like an improvement in ground contact equivalent to 1/2 to maybe 1 inch.... Definitely better than stock....

Ultratoad

I plan to add the gold foil for summer riding. The heat from the rear cylinder actually keeps you butt toasty on winter/spring rides!

I still do not understand this.... I have never sensed that my saddle area is getting too hot... I've got about 5K miles on now, been in temps around 100 degrees.... AND no drama.... Maybe some noticeable heat if stuck at a traffic light for an extended period of time.... Nothing like my old BMW K100RS.... When the second fan came on, you had to get moving or cook !!!!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
When coming off a bike that has virtually zero seat heating issues, the temp of the ftr seat is a bit of a shock.

jojo

I also have a KTM 1290 R Super Duke, and I can say that it has very little heat in the seat area, but when I picked up the FTR it was about 90 degrees, and I immediately found the seat heat to be very uncomfortable!
So uncomfortable that I started to search for some kind of remedy.

K9F

Probably why I don't find any problem whatsoever with the FTR, excellent 'conker roaster?' The seat was custom made though.

img_1558_91ff722a0136d611649efb0d204a5c3ad8224abd.jpg

img_0819_ebeebacb6ea5ca8e802bd7fe8c48d9be6aea611f.jpg

seat2_727ce3d522d305f5474ae19e993cc1d84a104173.jpg