Wish I never Demo'd an FTR

Syco13x

Worst thing I have ever done is take a demo ride on a 2022 FTR S. Now all I do is dream about the day I can buy one! LOL!

I currently ride a Triumph T120 Black, and have always enjoyed it and loved it. It's still a great bike, but some of my dealings with Triumph over the years have left me less than impressed with the company. But for my laid back simple commute to work, the T120 is fantastic and fun. I can ride it for years to come still if I have to do so :)

But, I have been test riding many different bikes this year to see what I like, because I'm ready to trade in and get something different now. I thought I had fallen in love with a BMW R NineT, it took riding to a new level, but still allowed for a laid back cruise if desired. I have also considered various Harley Davidson models quite a bit, for the simple fact that I would always have a shop nearby to service it if needed. But until recently, their bikes have felt like too much of a step back to make me want to trade in my more advanced ride. Haha! But I do love the look of a Fat Bob, and the Pan America intrigues me as well.

Then, on July 9th 2021, all of those rides, and all of that research went out the window. I had been lusting after the FTR already based on the looks, and the fact that it isn't really a bike that fits into most categories as easily as some other bikes do. All the reviews and moto vloggers seemed to have good things to report on it. But I hadn't gotten a chance to ride one myself to see what it was all about. I had a test ride scheduled a month more so before the demo event, but a random rainy day cancelled that. After riding a Scout Bobber while waiting my turn on the FTR (the FTR had the longest wait list of all the bikes, even though this event was designed to show off the Chief more than anything else), I finally got my turn to hop on he FTR S!

Upon just sitting on the bike, I felt at home. I didn't even have to think about how I was reaching for controls, or foot pegs, or how my foot slipped so naturally under the shift lever. I became one with the bike as soon as I sat on it. And once I started it up and took off, it just felt even more like it was part of me. No longer was I a rider, I WAS the motorcycle. Having to park the bike and let the next person test it out was a miserable feeling. I wanted so badly to just keep going and let them chase me down to force me to give that bike back! The wife and kiddos probably wouldn't have liked having to bail me out of jail if I did that, but what a story it would be! Haha!

So, here I am one month later writing this. Words cannot even describe how long this month has been! I really feel like it has been twice as long since that demo ride. Unfortunately, I have to work on getting the financials where I need them to be able to buy my own FTR S (or maybe the Carbon), too many major events have happened this last year or so... but it's going to be such a long wait! So, now I enter all the cash prize contests I can find in hopes to have a run of good luck. LOL!

The lesson I take away from all of this, and which is probably pretty common sense... don't test ride a bike until you are ready to purchase! Because the dreaming and hoping and working to get where you need to be for a purchase is miserable in the meantime! LOL! In all fairness, I didn't realize how much I would love the FTR. I really thought I was going to either save up for the BMW, or wait until I could buy a Harley. So thank you Indian for turning the tide and reminding me what I love so much about riding. I swear, I don't remember being involved when Indian designed a bike perfectly just for me, but they sure seem to have done just that!

One day FTR, we will be together again. :)

D

Deleted member 706

Just buy George Harrison 50th anniversary All things must pass....
Keep the Triumph

Timps27

I love my Tiger 800, it's that machines versatility that allows me the room in my stable for the FTR! I've not had to deal with Triumph direct much, but manufacturers are all harder to deal with than they should be and Indian is no exception. It doesn't seem worse than any others, but it also doesn't feel like they go above and beyond what any other OEM would.

Syco13x

…manufacturers are all harder to deal with than they should be and Indian is no exception.
This is true. I know nobody is perfect. And my experience left me with a bad taste in my mouth, but I do still really like my bike. Honestly, it weren’t my only vehicle I wouldn’t have felt as poorly towards Triumph for how it was all handled. But it is my only vehicle, and two bikes right now isn’t an option, otherwise I would already own the FTR S I’m sure. For now the bicycle as a secondary means of commuting is just how it has to be for me. And the wife’s car as a last ditch option when absolutely possible. 😁

Crisfmx

I know how you feel I was the same here in the uk, demoed the ftr on the looks alone at a bike event in 2019 and was absolutely besotted by it but it was so impractical in many ways for what I needed from a bike,I was ment to be buying a Yamaha T7 it ticked all the boxes and I came close to pulling the trigger several times but if I did it ment probably never owning a ftr
I had a old Triumph Tiger and KTM exc sold them both to get half way to ownership over the next 18 months I saved and sold what I could.
I just couldn’t get the ftr out of my head I’d watched every YouTube video and on turning 50 and finally having enough for the cheapest S out there I decided it was now or never.
I’ve had my ftr s for a week now and don’t regret it for a second it’s like nothing else out there,I’ll work around its short comings because riding it makes it all worth while

Last edited:

Syco13x

Congratulations on your FTR S! I hope to join the crowd sooner than later. Crazy how a bike can get into your head like that and not want to leave, huh?

I think an ADV bike of some sort would be the only other thing I would consider at the moment, but I don't need a bike like that for any real reason either. The FTR could fit the bill just as well for my personal needs, and I already know its going to put that smile on my face when I ride. :)

Timps27

If you can only have 1 bike the FTR is not as good at “doing everything” as an ADV bike is, but don’t let anyone tell you it can’t be your only bike. I live in two different states and leave my bikes staged across the country sometimes, right now at “home” my FTR is my commuter bike, my camping bike, my fun bike and anything else that might come up. It’s capable of anything any other bike is, sometimes it just takes a little extra thought and/or effort.

Syco13x

I agree that one can make any bike serve the purposes needed. For the most part. I’ve seen small CC Ninja’s laden down with luggage and traveling across the country. Where there is a will, there is a way!

The FTR tops my list for the way it made me feel riding it. The demo ride allowed a bit of everything I would use it for, from highway riding to city commute and into some twistys. And it hit the spot for each point of the ride.

An ADV bike night check off all the same points though. Guess I can test ride while I figure out the finances before pulling the trigger on the FTR. Though the ADV bikes don’t even get my attention like most bikes do. 🤷🏻‍♂️