Any way to clear codes?

Scarecrow

Curious if there is any way to clear codes? I know on the thunderstroke models there is a Procedure involving turning on and off the kill switch. Wondering if there is something similar for the ftr. Tried clearing with the pv3 with no luck and disconnecting battery. Probably a hard code but just wanted to try one last thing to get the code cleared before I give it to the dealer for warranty.

i took the bike out one night and the next day I put a new tune with the pv3 and then next time I went to take it out for a ride the check engine light was on for accelerator position 2 and is in low power. Tried flashing back to stock and back to previous tune but light still remains. Not sure if I did something wrong while loading the tune or maybe it’s just a coincidence and something is really wrong with the bike.
Figure if something went wrong with loading the tune I could try to flash it back to stock and clear the light.
But I’m leaning more towards it’s just a coincidence and will have to get it to the dealer. Just want to see if I can get the code cleared before I go to the dealer.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
supposedly this works

Reset Error/Trouble Codes
Ignition Key (IK) OFF
Kill Switch (KS) OFF
Turn IK ON
Turn KS ON
Fuel pump will cycle
Turn KS OFF
Turn IK OFF
Wait 10 seconds
Repeat sequence another three (3) times ...... That’s four (4) times in total.
At the fourth (4th) time, start the bike after the fuel pump has cycled.
Run the engine for 30 seconds, then shut down normally.
Most (if not all) codes should have cleared to the historic mem
ory.

Scarecrow

I’ll try it. I did all that minus the starting it and running for 30 seconds. Must’ve missed seeing that somehow

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
if it didnt clear with the tuner, removing the battery, or with that procedure, looks like a trip to the dealer.

Scarecrow

That’s what I’m thinking. I’ll try that procedure again. The instructions I saw I don’t remember seeing the start and let run step so didn’t do it. So I’ll try again once more, if not off to the dealer it goes.
The only thing that is throwing me off is I can create more codes by disconnecting the accelerator pedal, and those codes go away when I plug it back in and shut the ignition off and restart. But when trying to Plug it back in and clear with the pv3 they don’t go away. Not sure if the pv3 isn’t working to clear codes or if the power has to be cycled for them to go away.

Fjalnar

Hey folks,

ferraiolo1 is right and his workaround works fine. I had to do it on my buddy's FTR a month ago and Saturday on mine as well.

Engine check lamp occured with no technical reason. I guess die FTR's are very sensible with the traction control depending on angle. I'm not very afraid as long as my bikes liquids are fine and there are no unknown noises.

Best regards

2019 Iowa RR

supposedly this works

Reset Error/Trouble Codes
Ignition Key (IK) OFF
Kill Switch (KS) OFF
Turn IK ON
Turn KS ON
Fuel pump will cycle
Turn KS OFF
Turn IK OFF
Wait 10 seconds
Repeat sequence another three (3) times ...... That’s four (4) times in total.
At the fourth (4th) time, start the bike after the fuel pump has cycled.
Run the engine for 30 seconds, then shut down normally.
Most (if not all) codes should have cleared to the historic mem
ory.
My 2019 RR is throwing a PO314 misfire code. It has 155 miles on it. Tried this procedure and battery disconnect. Light still on solid. Is it safe to ride it 100 miles to the dealer?

cupcake_mike

My 2019 RR is throwing a PO314 misfire code. It has 155 miles on it. Tried this procedure and battery disconnect. Light still on solid. Is it safe to ride it 100 miles to the dealer?

Call your dealer and ask them. Its under warranty, if they don't want you driving it, they will have to come pick it up.

2019 Iowa RR

Call your dealer and ask them. Its under warranty, if they don't want you driving it, they will have to come pick it up.
I got a call from service. I told the lady I didn’t feel comfortable riding it 100 miles to the dealer. Silence. So she asked if I wanted to schedule an appointment. I said no, I don’t know what I’m going to do at this point. So I asked her if my only options were trailering it, or back of a pickup. She basically said yes. I’m trying to get a better response from my salesman. At this point, I’m probably going to ride it to see if the light goes out, and go from there.

cupcake_mike

I got a call from service. I told the lady I didn’t feel comfortable riding it 100 miles to the dealer. Silence. So she asked if I wanted to schedule an appointment. I said no, I don’t know what I’m going to do at this point. So I asked her if my only options were trailering it, or back of a pickup. She basically said yes. I’m trying to get a better response from my salesman. At this point, I’m probably going to ride it to see if the light goes out, and go from there.

Sorry to hear that man...I guess I've just always gotten lucky or perhaps spent as much time vetting the dealer as the model. I hear horror stories all the time about people getting fucked around by their dealers and that sucks.

I was just at mine on friday getting a tire installed (a free service my dealer offers) when I overheard the service manager on the phone to a guy who was broken down about 80 miles away. The guy had just called to get the roadside assistance number because his bike was new enough that he hadn't received the paperwork for it yet and I heard one of the service advisers tell him, "not to worry we are sending one of our guys up to get you with a truck and trailer". The guy didn't even have to get pissed off, it never escalated, my dealer did the right thing. Shit, I ran out of gas in davenport, IA a few weeks back and I also didn't have the roadside assistance number (only had the bike for a few weeks at the time), so I called the dealership to get the number and they offered to come get me, even though they were 5 hours away!

Good luck, buddy

Fjalnar

Hey Lowa,

to be honest the misfire code isn't that bad. Worst thing what could happen is that your catalytic converter gets damaged or you will have a rough behaviour while riding your bike. Your dealer definately has to check this, BUT...

- how is your bike reacting?
- Everything normal while idling?
- What is about acceleration? Any rough behaviour?
- Any noises or similiar?

The engine check light doesn't mean that the misfire code has anything to do with an engine problem. It could be the fuel pump, wiring or troubles with your catalytic converter. But it could also be nothing at all :).

Have you tried the reset sequence again and in the correct way? Normally it should work to delete the error code and check engine light as well. My friend and I both had the light once. After the reset it never occured again. (>2000 miles on both bike now) You do not need to disconnect the battery.

It seems that the FTR only has one error indication light. Every little fart will be shown as check engine failure :p

1. Try the reset sequence again ( exact steps). If the light dissapears - perfect!
2. If step one doesn't work - how is your bike in general reacting? No noises or rugh behaviour? - drive to your dealer
3. If there is anything not normal (reaction from step 2) - ask your dealer for a pick up or if you can go to another dealer closer to you

Hope your bike will be ok soon and that you can enjoy without any worries.

Cheers

Last edited:

Fjalnar

Ahh forgot to mention... I think the fueling software setup of a stock FTR is so bad. It always takes me ten minutes of driving until my RR gets a little bit smoothier. The first few miles it is shaking and rattling like a tank. I know there is nothing wrong with a 1200ccm engine when it is cold but the stock setup can cause the misfire error as well, if your engine doesn't get enough fuel or to much fuel. A new software set up could work as well.

2019 Iowa RR

Hey Lowa,

to be honest the misfire code isn't that bad. Worst thing what could happen is that your catalytic converter gets damaged or you will have a rough behaviour while riding your bike. Your dealer definately has to check this, BUT...

- how is your bike reacting?
- Everything normal while idling?
- What is about acceleration? Any rough behaviour?
- Any noises or similiar?

The engine check light doesn't mean that the misfire code has anything to do with an engine problem. It could be the fuel pump, wiring or troubles with your catalytic converter. But it could also be nothing at all :).

Have you tried the reset sequence again and in the correct way? Normally it should work to delete the error code and check engine light as well. My friend and I both had the light once. After the reset it never occured again. (>2000 miles on both bike now) You do not need to disconnect the battery.

It seems that the FTR only has one error indication light. Every little fart will be shown as check engine failure :p

1. Try the reset sequence again ( exact steps). If the light dissapears - perfect!
2. If step one doesn't work - how is your bike in general reacting? No noises or rugh behaviour? - drive to your dealer
3. If there is anything not normal (reaction from step 2) - ask your dealer for a pick up or if you can go to another dealer closer to you

Hope your bike will be ok soon and that you can enjoy without any worries.

Cheers
I have an appointment for Saturday at the dealer. In the mean time, I am going to put some better fuel in it, I may have gotten some bad gas on the way back from the dealer after buying the bike. Today after work, I will take a short ride and see how it goes. Thank you for the reply!

Fjalnar

I have an appointment for Saturday at the dealer. In the mean time, I am going to put some better fuel in it, I may have gotten some bad gas on the way back from the dealer after buying the bike. Today after work, I will take a short ride and see how it goes. Thank you for the reply!

Perfect! Don't worry too much about it. It is a solid plan you have.
Also try the sequence again and if the light still occurs, just take a ride to your dealer.

Just let us know, when the problem is fixed :)

2019 Iowa RR

Perfect! Don't worry too much about it. It is a solid plan you have.
Also try the sequence again and if the light still occurs, just take a ride to your dealer.

Just let us know, when the problem is fixed :)
Filled the tank with some, hopefully, better fuel. This time the faults were: cylinder misfire, and low battery. Great! a new one! Took it for a short ride, ran fine. Back in the garage, check engine light still on , no codes showing. This is a weird bike! Probably should hook up the charger if I can find the plug!

2019 Iowa RR

Update: Rode to the dealer this afternoon. 100 miles. Light still on, bike ran fine. Wasn’t showing any codes under diagnostics. Shut the bike off and went inside to check in. Came back out with the service writer, turned the key on, no more check engine light! They hooked it up and cleared all the codes. Rode back home. Thanks everyone for all the information and ideas!

mark.lb

Nice to know - All you have to do to clear a code is take a 100 mile ride!
(Glad all is well. I wonder if the fresh high octane gas solved your problem. Hopefully you got a nice new FTR tee shirt while you were at the dealership.)