Battery issue

Pmcb41

2019 ftr1200s about 5000 miles. Use as daily driver but do to weather bike sat for two weeks. Started but had a couple clicks first, like dead battery. Drove to work, after work couple faint clicks, no start. Next day jumped through the pigtail with truck not running. Started right up. Drove about 45 miles, kept running while stopped. Got home shut off, won’t restart.
‘here is where it gets strange. Pulled battery cover put on charge, within 15 minutes it shows full charge (started at 75%). Still no start. Jumped to the battery, no start. Jumped through pig tail, starts right up. When off the lights, cpu all work, horn does not. I switched out relays, no difference. Removed battery, terminals spotless. Still nothing.

why would bike start through pigtail but not battery? Could battery be bad even if it is taking charge? I cannot see where the pigtail is connected to battery, I just assumed it would be near terminals.
anyone have any thoughts?

background: bike has cat removed and is reflashed cpu, replaced turn signals and replaced rear fender, but all mods done over two months ago with no il effects.

Last edited:

Charliemurphay

There is a fuse (I forget what it’s called) that can be blown that doesn’t allow normal starting when it is blown and the horn also does not work but everything else does (horn not working is what is keying me I to that). Check that fuse. Then check the wiring of your turn signals from the rear fender and make sure it didn’t fall down and is rubbing the chain and shorting out. There have been quite a few instances of that happening in recent months.

Pmcb41

Thank you. That is along the lines that I was thinking. I have checked all the fuses but wondered if there was an inline fuse somewhere? I cannot seem to find a good schematic anywhere. The odd things is that at first it did click and so does the horn, so it seems to not be getting enough power, like a broken wire? I pulled the battery again it is fully charged, tried to start Again but nothing, jumped through the pigtail and she started right up. It does keep running without jumper, but will not restart. Turn signals are working.

kiwi dave

If it's making a click when you push the start button, the fuse is intact.

This same saga was experienced by myself when I purchased my FTR1200S about five months ago. It was delivered to me, and the following day before I even had a chance to start the bike, the battery was dead. I took the battery to the dealer, who declared the battery was "fine".

The clicking continued, taking up to 17 clicks before it would fire. So I returned it to the dealer who said it would take a week to diagnose, and sort advice from Polaris via the Indian importer in Australia. Apparently, it was diagnosed with a faulty solenoid, to which I responded maybe, but the battery is shot too.

Solenoid replaced, didn't fix the issue, they then decided they were going to pinch a starter motor off another bike. I pleaded with them to replace the battery, and guess what, as soon as the new battery was installed, all the starting problems have now disappeared.

Complete incompetence! I will never buy another bike from these guys, as long as that foreman in the service department still has his job.

Charliemurphay

If it's making a click when you push the start button, the fuse is intact.

This same saga was experienced by myself when I purchased my FTR1200S about five months ago. It was delivered to me, and the following day before I even had a chance to start the bike, the battery was dead. I took the battery to the dealer, who declared the battery was "fine".

The clicking continued, taking up to 17 clicks before it would fire. So I returned it to the dealer who said it would take a week to diagnose, and sort advice from Polaris via the Indian importer in Australia. Apparently, it was diagnosed with a faulty solenoid, to which I responded maybe, but the battery is shot too.

Solenoid replaced, didn't fix the issue, they then decided they were going to pinch a starter motor off another bike. I pleaded with them to replace the battery, and guess what, as soon as the new battery was installed, all the starting problems have now disappeared.

Complete incompetence! I will never buy another bike from these guys, as long as that foreman in the service department still has his job.
I would agree here. If not a fuse then likely a new battery is going to solve your problems. Lots of people had bad batteries straight from their dealers because they weren’t being charged on the floor.

K9F

No mention of any voltages here? What was the terminal voltage before and after charging? Battery most likely needs swapping out.

K9F

Still slightly low for a fully charged battery. What does the voltage drop to when you crank the engine? If it's zero (shouldn't drop to below ballpark 7 volts first push of the starter from full charge) and no fuses have blown the battery is shot! Should be a warranty swap out? As stated there have been several cases where the bikes have sat at dealerships for months on end without due battery maintenance.

Staedtler

I had to have a new battery too, my bike was built in 2019 and sat untended for nearly a year apparently, was going flat in a week...

FTR18

This PDF could help you.......

FTR 1200 motorcycles are conveniently equipped
with a SAE bullet style connector for quick access
to charging the battery. The recommended
BatteryMINDer® 2012 charger comes with the
mating connector for easy plug and play
maintenance. The connector is located behind the
left-hand side V cover and taped to the chassis
harness.
Carefully remove the tape to expose the connector
and length of wire. Be sure to properly secure the
wire and connector before operating the vehicle.

Attachments

• Indian FTR Service Manual 2019 BATTERY.pdf
    87.3 KB · Views: 52

Pmcb41

The dealership gave me a new battery and I rechecked every fuse. Still nothing. The lights, blinkers, Screen all work, nothing on the starter and the horn button just clicks, time to haul the bike into the dealership I guess.

K9F

Speculation here but starter solenoid would have been my next port of call. May be worth a quick look before getting the dealership to collect the bike if they haven't already?

1607241270237.png

D

Deleted member 706

Did anyone mention the 3 fuses under the battery box?
It's won't be the main one on the left but maybe the other 2 are worth a look.

Attachments

• IMG_20201102_150305.jpg
    IMG_20201102_150305.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 25

kiwi dave

The dealership gave me a new battery and I rechecked every fuse. Still nothing. The lights, blinkers, Screen all work, nothing on the starter and the horn button just clicks, time to haul the bike into the dealership I guess.
What happens if you use jumper cables from your car to the bike's battery? Will the bike start then?

I wouldn't rule out a new replacement battery also being suspect.

Pmcb41

It ended up being a combination. I had checked all fuses.... it ended up being the battery, but before replacing the battery I had jumped it another time, apparently it blew the fuse to the battery and horn, I never checked again because I had checked them earlier. With new battery and new fuses it is wiki g great. Thank you every for the input and ideas.

K9F

So the first replacement battery the dealership gave you was 'fooked' as well. Serious oversight on their part, would have only taken a second or two to check before heading out the door! Glad you got a resolution.

Last edited: