Beautiful build...

FTR London

It's the second time you say this. I am wondering why you buy ... in your words ... the ugliest and most disappointing motorcycle?

Of course it is a question of personal taste, but most people buy bikes they like .... :unsure:.
It isn't the second time I've said this at all, I've said it multiple times, to the obvious chagrin of a few members on here, but that is not my intention. - And you've cherry picked what I did say, which was actually in full context:

"stock, still one of the ugliest and most disappointing motorcycles I've ever seen following the pre-launch hype."

To clarify, I love this bike. Once you sort the finicky temperamental fuelling, it is a delight to ride, surprisingly nimble, steeped in pedigree and dubious character and a bizarrely American, steroid-riddled, pulsating v-twin muscle bike. With all the rider aids off, It rumbles, surges and feels like you’re on top of something with personality making it a challenge to ride - particularly if in keeping with the bike, it's shod with dual sport or perched on dirt tyres to compliment the 19/18 combination. I say personality - the bi-polar tendencies make it even more entertaining and satisfying to tame. I've owned in the region of thirty motorcycles and I still get butterflies and excitement just at the slightest suggestion of riding it. It reminds me and recaptures the verve and joy of my first motorcycle that I rode illegally off-road as a teen, a bored out DT175. I've never enjoyed or derived such a thrill out of a motorcycle as I have the FTR1200.

Cat-delete, replacement exhaust, different bars, tyres, tail end tidy, remove the mudguards and generally stripped down, it rapidly starts to resemble the flat track racer that Indian dishonestly purported it to be and the 'FTR' moniker is no longer a misleading misnomer. It's never going to look like this for obvious reasons, but a few on here are coming damn close...

59fb3367750d61.jpg

Others have gone in a completely different road or touring oriented direction - and it is those that seem to take umbrage with my suggestion that stock, this bike compromises its identity. "Of course, it's a question of personal taste, but people buy bikes they like" so why not a Beemer GS1200 or a FJR if that's what you are intent on turning this into?

FTR London

If someone is willing to invest extra money in modifications to their liking, why not? This is individuality that we love:cool:
Absolutely.

But I have to laugh at a previous suggestion that I purchased the wrong motorcycle or the one on this thread, that "most people buy bikes they like" when people elect to fit luggage, back rests, windshields, racks, mobile phone mounts and even the possibility of "apple car play" to a street tracker. I guess that's the market this bike was aimed at hence the incredulity and indignation from some when I suggest it's ugly as hell stock. Like you say, "individual choice" and to each their own. I'm off to buy a used Yamaha Bolt to which I'm immediately fitting Pirelli supercorsas + (tyre warmers), clip ons, a steering damper and rear sets. It's the individuality we love. ;)

Breto

Nicely done. However “A minimalist build that improves the original design with subtle but impactful changes.”

Just no. They did not “improve” the original design, they merely changed it and the seat and tail just look wonky imho. Same with the exhaust headers. Sorry fellas, appreciate the work, but the result looks megh.
Yeah im with you on that Max…🤔