Bolt and Fastener Corrosion

mark.lb

I am not real happy with the way the zinc plated crank case bolts are starting to corrode on my FTR. When I purchased the bike in May 2019 the bolts and fasteners were nice and shiny. Now some (particularly those along the bottom of the cases near the road) are not looking so great.
Has anyone replaced or upgraded their hardware with stainless or titanium bolts? Has anyone used chrome or rubber bolt covers on their hardware? If so can you post pictures?

Max Kool

Or the bracket that holds the brake reservoir to the front master cylinder... or the hose clamps on the hose from that same reservoir to the mc.... Or the front of the radiator cap...

Fuse5

got a couple bolts and washers too .. seems to be not the best quality.
just used a couple of titanum on my mod´s

Murdock

I know that from the Buell, seems to be the American Way...? :cool: After a while the aftermarket showed up with stainless bolt kits, ready packaged for the bikes.

mark.lb

I just ordered a polished stainless steel bolt kit for my FTR from AlloyBoltz in Ruskin, Florida. The cost is $57.95 + $8.50 shipping. The kit contains bolts for: Sprocket Cover, Primary Cover, Stator Cover, Ignition Cover, Coolant Bypass Fitting and the Coil. This is a newly developed kit and is not yet on the website. They also have another kit that contains 15 - 12pt polished stainless steel Crankcase bolts for $84.95 plus shipping. (These are the hex bolts you see low on the cases near the oil drain plugs.)
Hopefully these new bolts will be aesthetically more pleasing and will not corrode as quickly as the stock zinc plated bolts. When they arrive and I install them, I will post pictures.

mark.lb

I plan to tighten them to the same torque specification listed in the “torque chart” that was published and then removed from the forum a few weeks ago. (106 in-lbs or 10 Nm)

cheekykevUK

I'm glad someone else is having the same problem, I thought it was just me.
Well i'm not glad, if you know what I mean, I'm very disappointed in the poor standard of some of the plated parts/bolts on mine, and even the Banjo brake line joints, I only washed it and they've started to corrode, I hope this isn't the shape of things to come.
I've 20 year old Jap bikes in better condition, God knows what this one will look like in as little as 12 months, I'n not happy, I wonder if Indian can be held accountable via the 2 year warranty for the crap they've put on a so called premium bike :(:mad:

mark.lb

I don’t know but I plan to find out. My plan is to install the bolts that come with the kit and hand carry some of the old fasteners into my dealer and at least enquire about the rapid corrosion on these bolts (and other parts). I was the first FTR delivered in Pennsylvania in May 2019. I paid a “Dealer Premium” to get one of the first bikes. In my opinion a $20,000 motorcycle should be equipped with better fasteners than zinc plate. After installing the kit my plan is to source and slowly replace other visible and easy to get to nuts and bolts as time goes on. I am not concerned about the fasteners failing, just how they look. I am not going to go crazy. Some of the stock fasteners are not visible or are in hard to reach places. (I don’t intend to remove the exhaust system to replace a allen bolt that is slightly pitted and you can barely see.)

cheekykevUK

below is a copy of an email I've just sent to the dealer I bought the bike off, Don't hold much hope, but it's worth a try.

Hi Mark, I’m a little concerned about the nuts, bolts and plated parts on the bike, the bike has been stored in a warm dry place, I washed it down once just before the shutdown, and it appears that the parts mentioned above are showing signs of corrosion.

I’ve been in touch with other owners both in the UK and USA who appear to have the same problem, so it appears Indian Motor Company have skimped in this area.

I must admit I’m very disappointed with this failing from a so called premium company, I have Japanese bikes 20 years old in better looking condition, if this is the state of things to come god knows how bad it will look in as little as 12 months.

Can you please tell if Indian Motor Company intend doing something about this as part of the warranty, as these parts are clearly not fit for purpose.

Blue1

My FTR is garaged, just checked and none of my fasteners are corroded. They do appear to be plated carbon steel, which is disappointing, given the price of the bike. Bike has not seen significant rain.

My 'busa's case fasteners appear to be 304 ss, mildly magnetic, reasonably corrosion-resistant. It has seen rain on trips, it is an '07 and has zero corrosion on any fasteners.

cheekykevUK

Not much point just me complaining to my dealer or Indian, we all need to complain to stand any chance of getting something done about it

mark.lb

The fasteners came today from AlloyBoltz. They look good. They are A2-70 stainless steel. (304ss) They also came with new torque recommendations. It clearly recommends using anti-seize. I have Permatex anti-seize. I will install them soon, preferably on a rainy day when I can not ride.

Attachments

• 870AAFF3-63CA-4D29-8256-E79F764A0FDF.jpeg
    870AAFF3-63CA-4D29-8256-E79F764A0FDF.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 2F232014-7551-4856-B63A-63FE9927DB5F.jpeg
    2F232014-7551-4856-B63A-63FE9927DB5F.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 21

cheekykevUK

Very nice, but what about all the rest of the plated stuff, plus that doesn't stop Indian getting away with putting rubbish fittings and parts on a so called premium bike.
Like I say, we all need to complain to stand any chance of getting anywhere.

K9F

UK rider/owner here. Bought last September used throughout Winter. Apart from the anodised coating on the banjo bolts showing patina nothing serious considering usage to report. All bikes get a liberal coating and wipe down with ACF 50 twice a year, once before Winter and once after. Don’t use it in the Summer as dust and pollen sticks to it. WD40 and Mr Sheen furniture polish in the Summer. Fine weather is here, ride it, enjoy it. Racking up a few miles with even bigger smiles now she’s been remapped.

Having been in the Merchant Navy for a number of years I would have to give serious consideration to using SS fasteners on the bike especially crankcases. The recommendation to use anti-seize will probably lie withIn the fact you couldn’t find a better mix for dissimilar metal corrosion than alloy and steel. The moment you witness any white furring around the head bases take them out would be my advice.

Last edited: