Bolt and Fastener Corrosion

K9F

……...I just can’t bring myself to take K9F’s suggestion and spray ACF50 all over my bike. I’m afraid I would make it a greasy mess. (actually I never even heard of ACF50. Had to google it. It is not common in the States)

Ultimately I used it on my bike the day I got it. Hence I have not had to shell out money or spend valuable time swapping out any fasteners whatsoever, this is despite living on the coast where the environment is not kind and riding in Winter. My fasteners are almost as good as the day it left the shop.

There are two fantastic products I have come across (there may well be others better) but they are brilliant at what they do and I always have some in my garage. ACF50 is one of them and the other is a product called Fertan.

Suffice to say if Fertan is good enough for anchor chains as a rust converter/inhibitor after stripping and before greasing it is good enough for anything that sits at home with an engine in it or anything else that would benefit from a little squirt or two.

mark.lb

I also have not heard of Fertan. Interestingly my daughter and son-in-law who are both mechanical engineers who work for Westinghouse nuclear and Bettis nuclear propulsion both had blank looks when I asked if they ever heard of ACF50. It may be common in aviation but it certainly is not a shop staple like WD-40 here in the USA. It can not be purchased at the local auto parts or motorcycle shop. I did find it on line and will order a spray can and check it out! I don’t want to miss out on something good....(I’m retired - so time is not an issue. A few hours tinkering with the bike is good fun.)

Reactions: K9F

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Its because its nothing like wd-40. its more of an industry product, not a common household product. corosion-x is also another good product.

mark.lb

Fertan - website says new to USA in 2019. Official distributor FERTAN LLC - Maimi, FL (I‘m really getting to know my corrosion/rust inhibitors!)

Reactions: K9F

K9F

Fertan has been used for years over here. It is a great product as it seeps into knooks and crannies and dries and is paintable, if it becomes damp again it's chemical reaction reawakens and carries on doing it's job. ACF50 is also very well used and received over here, it originated in Canada. So much so most motorcycle dealerships and outlet stores have it on their shelves. It wasn't that long ago it could only be sourced on-line. Not cheap over here but how much do you pay for something so good? It is now even advertised and sold as a motorcycle spray.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I was washing mine yesterday and noticed my lower engine bolts have a good bit of corrosion on them.

I did ride during the winter, but only when the roads were dry, and the bike was washed after.

Ill probably break down and buy one of the SS kits. Although its not much different than most bikes, many bikes dont come with SS or anodized hardware.

Both my gfs parents harleys have surface corrosion on their parts, they are getting acf baths next time they are around me.

cjupton666

I’ve been using Silkolene ProPrep spray all over the bike which has really kept the corrosion at bay, and yes I live in sunny SoCal. However the wife’s previous bike, a Honda Rebel bought from new was corroding terribly. The Honda dealer said it was the “sea air” and would not warranty anything (only a 45 day cosmetic warranty on Honda’s)!