First oil change cost and what do they do?

Klonny

600 miles and went in for the first service, cost was sort of shocking to me $410. Now I’ve had a Duc so I am used to $200 oil changes but holy crap!

I asked what they did and they made a point to say they checked the torque specs on critical components, Checked the chain tension and finally when I was looking at him very skeptically ,I was told they set the suspension up... huh? I don’t think they did that... since they don’t know my weight or riding style...maybe back to factory spec?

Apparently a regular oil change is $185 which seems pretty steep to me since the OEM kit is $72....

No real question just sort of putting this out there. Also It’s in USD.

Charliemurphay

Yea the services are steep. My dealer does the recommended maintenance for the first two years or 8000 miles whichever comes first. It’d going in for 5000 Mile service next Monday so looks like I’m not even gonna make one year before I start doing my own services at those prices...

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
My first service was $170.
A lot of dealers like to rip people off. Shouldn’t be more than 1.5hrs of labor and parts (oil kit)

cupcake_mike

My dealership (KC) charged $350ish for the first service...1.5 hrs @ $140/hr and $120ish in parts. Sure glad I got them to include 3 years of maintenance.

Its like $15 of oil and a $10 oil filter.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
It’s more like almost $50 worth of oil

FYI the ftr oil change kit is on sale on amazon for $66

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Because Indian and amzoil are the only ones who make the required weight that meets the oem specifications. It’s not “that much” that’s about average for a good full synthetic oil.

do you plan on running rotella in your bike? Lol

cupcake_mike

Because Indian and amzoil are the only ones who make the required weight that meets the oem specifications. It’s not “that much” that’s about average for a good full synthetic oil.

do you plan on running rotella in your bike? Lol

I run rotella in my air cooled bikes, and have several with no problems and over 75k miles....it meets the specs for them too.

I had the dealership comp me a 3 year maintenance plan when i bought my ftr so i don't have to worry about it for awhile.

I run redline synthetic in my 1125cr which goes above and beyond the requirements and the engines are very similar. Its $7 a quart, not 14 like the Indian stuff.

If this is a forum where guys argue about oil, I'll move on.

cupcake_mike

redline makes the same weight oil that the FTR requires?

Indian sites recommend a weird weight, 15-60, and redline doesn't carry that but they do have 20/50, 20/60, or 10/50 which will all work.

The fact of the matter is that all oil is pretty awesome these days so it really comes down to personal preference. I don't agree with the 10k oil change interval that indian recommends anyway, running full synthetic on a bike i change every 5k, there just simply isn't much oil there and it gets dirty quickly. I get the 10k interval for newer cars, they have a much larger amount of oil in them.

Luckily, my service manager agrees with me and they do 5k oil changes with my comp'ed package.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
i agree, way too long of an interval for a bike with a wet clutch, i do mine every 5, some even do it every 2.

it is a weird weight, lots of discussion on the other indian forums as to why indian did it, some say it was so you only buy their oil. IDK, but at least your dealer will do it early.

Hi there,
In Greece also they charge in the dealership 200euros
They change oil, oil filter
And all the standard stuff they do at this point
I'm almost close to 8k kilometres.
I'm actually thinking of doing the change by myself.
In YouTube there is an official Indian oil change video

John-FTR17

PLEASE...DO NOT pay the dealer for Oil Change, they over charge for such an easy task that we can do ourselves. Oil change is a rider responsibility and today's price on Amazon is $72.99 for Oil Change Kit.

Your user manual gives detailed instructions on how to change your own Oil. Do it every 3-5K miles and use recommended 15w60 synthetic oil and you will keep your FTR happy for years.

If I had any FTR owners in my area, I would change their Oil for FREE if they brought me the Kit. It only takes 15 minutes not 1.5 hours x $100 per hour plus over charge for you Oil bought from dealer.

mikefleming

I’m headed in this week for first service... will do the first one with the dealer for warranty purposes, will do the rest in my garage. Looks easy enough with the filter right upfront