First oil change cost and what do they do?

mark.lb

I agree with John-FTR17. I am not a mechanic. I don’t like to work on motorcycles, I like to ride motorcycles. I want to be absolutely sure my FTR is in tip top shape and there is not something needing attention I am not aware of or have not noticed. My dealer just did my 5000 mile service. I waited at the shop while the work was done. The bike was on the shop lift for about 1-1/2 hrs. The mechanic looked at and inspected everything. I saw him top off crankcase oil and coolant. He definitely adjusted, cleaned and lubricated the chain. (a job I don’t particularly want to do). He also inspected and adjusted the brakes. The service was about $170.00. Well worth it to have a trained set of eyes and hands on my bike.
I also deal with a local shop for maintenance on my 1977 Yamaha 750. This guy specializes in vintage carbureted bikes. He also takes care of my Pennsylvania state inspections and does routine tire changes. Having trusted service technicians and mechanics is very important.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
They aren’t pulling all the panels off to inspect the crank case vent system, or pulling the caps off the forks to inspect the oil in them, or putting a wrench and socket on every single bolt.

They are doing a quick visual, and oil change, thus the hour labor and parts they charge. $170 is about right for a common dealer

I know some people whose dealer charged them $500 for the first service.

Ether way. 7500 mile oil change tonight, took no time at all. No fairings and having the oil drain bolts not above a header is nice.

also Indian even made a nice instructional video showing how to do it and tools needed

And the chain adjustment

Attachments

• F38A2CC8-E13C-440A-8DAC-959E6BA47B05.jpeg
    F38A2CC8-E13C-440A-8DAC-959E6BA47B05.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 8

K9F

Dropped the oil on the FTR today. Had done a couple of long haul and high speed trips since the last change and decided to change it primarily due to color. Polaris don't do the FTR oil change kits over here under a single part number/package as for some unknown reason they won't ship them to the UK dealerships. Not cheap, in fact the most expensive personal oil change I have ever done. Including the oil filter socket I bought (getting the old filter off with a strap wrench was no issue but didn't want to use it to tighten the new one up) it came out at $132 USD in your money. Used the free Workshop Manual that was being bandied about for the process.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
OUCH, for your next one Hiflo filter # HF198 they have a UK distributor ($8USD), WIX, FRAM, and a few others also make the filters, its the same filter used in a lot of utilities vehicles, and the two copper crush gaskets you can anneal using this process to make them as good as new

That way you're only on the hook for three quarts of that black gold from Indian.

Reactions: K9F

K9F

Thanks Ferraiolo1. I bought 4 quarts Justin. Just in case, only used the three, the black gold (so justifiably named) cost me $100.44 USD and the filter another $22.47 USD (both prices includes tax) the washers were thrown in for free as they had forgotten to include them and they gave me them on the way out through their workshop. Felt a bit butt sore on the way home. Stopped off at a Suzuki dealer as I myself had forgotten the filter socket. That was a more acceptable price at $9.00 USD. So all in my wallet was a smidgin over $130.00 lighter.

Fuse5

First service 300 bucks.. saw they working on a couple of things and need that time.. it was fair (clutch things too).
The next i do myself (Filter a HiFlow or K&N ..u got the ratchet on and make things easier)
Do somebody use.. Motul ?

Last edited:

mark.lb

Not sure what to say. I pulled my receipt and my first service with oil change was $186.64 including tax. Sounds like your dealership is price gouging. Maybe he gives you a great deal on the bike and then kills you on parts and service.

Attachments

• 5F39A332-AA6D-4208-864F-4A7E5F2F726C.jpeg
    5F39A332-AA6D-4208-864F-4A7E5F2F726C.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 10

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yeah mine was $170. I only took it there for the first one because I blew through the 500 miles in less than a week, my dealership is right by my house, and I bought one of the first ftrs off the floor when they first came out. But it was also the last time it’s been there. Other than the recall

but I’ve seen as much as $500 for the first service. And thats why people hate dealerships.