FTR protection?

RiverRat

Planning on getting rough with the FTR. Any sort of frame sliders, axle sliders, or crash cage out on the market?

Murdock

Have not seen much yet. But there are crash pads available from R&G Racing:

Gilles Tooling has some axle protectors in the catalog:

I assume the coming season will bring some more.

K9F

I don't plan on getting rough with mine, nevertheless after recent knee replacement decided there may be an inherent higher risk of dropping it as a result. Any protection is better than none and with very limited choice I fitted the R & G ones to my FTR. They were on my Christmas Wishlist and I got them as welcome gifts.

R&G5.jpg

R&G7.jpg

K9F

Mine are currently in the paint shop for some work. But you could consider replacing the standard radiator guards for the rally aluminium alloy variety. They will withstand more than the standard plastic ones.

GD.jpg

RiverRat

Are they pretty high quality? I would like some beefier guards but I want to make sure they will actually protect it when it gets hit by something.

K9F

They are very good quality and very thick. The limiting factor being they are fastened with the same thread bolts that hold the original plastic ones on with. In my opinion they would slide well instead of getting ripped off straight away depending on circumstances of course. I also bagged the stainless radiator and oil cooler guards as well. Now they will protect considering the radiator is so exposed. There is a thread within the Scout section on the other Indian forum depicting how beat up the radiators get on normal roads.

Last edited:

Unruly Rider

They are very good quality and very thick. The limiting factor being they are fastened with the same thread bolts that hold the original plastic ones on with. In my opinion they would slide well instead of getting ripped off straight away depending on circumstances of course. I also bagged the stainless radiator and oil cooler guards as well. Now they will protect considering the radiator is so exposed. There is a thread within the Scout section on the other Indian forum depicting how beat up the radiators get on normal roads.
I would think that if the radiator made contact with the road, it would surely crack - even with any of the available guards installed. Some frame sliders or crash guard would be money better spent IMHO. Now as far as looks are concerned, I definitely like some of what I have seen... the rally guards would look awesome powder-coated gloss black. But I'm waiting for some nice carbon-fiber guards to match a few other parts I have planned to pickup.

K9F

Ironically enough Unruly Rider my rally guards are away being hydrographically 3D carbon black dipped at the moment. Will post pictures once I get them back. The standard silver colour is very bright and garish and doesn't blend well with the rest of the bike.

Unruly Rider

Nice! Definitely post up some pics of the outcome! I saw some of the pics you posted of your HD that had some custom hydro-dipped parts and it looked awesome (usually not a fan of fake carbon, but yours was REALLY well done).

Reactions: K9F

K9F

I am fortunate, the company I use are local, have won awards and have featured on television car and motorcycle restoration programmes. They are so inundated with work to prevent casual drop ins they have a minimum charge of £250 excluding 20% tax except for returning customers. The faux carbon (they also do kevelar and numerous other designs with the base coat colour of your choice) is less than 1/3 of the cost of real carbon wrap, then of course you are limited to black.

Unruly Rider

Those look great man, they did an awesome job on them! I love that the weave looks straight, all too often I see hydro-graphics CF done and it will have a wave/curve in the weave design.

Reactions: K9F

K9F

Thanks, am happy with the result. They do indeed pay attention to detail as when I initially dropped off the guards off they asked what orientation I wanted the weave heading, something I hadn't thought of initially but if it had been applied horizontally it would have looked sh1t I think?