FTR sudden deads collection

Murdock

Hi friends,

I want to open this thread to collect issues with suddenly dying engines by whatever matters (except running out of fuel :) ).

Reason: I dropped my bike because of this issue! My engine died without any warning during cornering, no chance to pull clutch. Engine stopped the rearwheel and I touched down.

After the crash an engine error code for the gear sensor showed up but disappeared after a few unsuccessful tries to start the engine. Until that: No reaction on pushing the Start button. After that: Only the magnet switch of the starter clicked.The dealer figured out later that the battery was dead. But: I charged the battery over night before the trip and drove about 90 kilometers. The dealer read out the codes from the bike and there was only an event from the lean sensor (caused by the crash) but NOT the gear sensor error that I saw before.

This thread is for collecting similar strange sudden deads because I am afraid I will have a longer discussion with Indian about this and look for other "victims". This all happens 10 days ago and not much has happened since. Luckily I have not done any customizing on the FTR yet beside a RAM mount.

Thanks

Last edited:

Fuse5

Hopefully you ar fine !

However, I don't believe it was the cause.

Can´t tell you exactly what it might be but there was a couple of customers at the past (over Europe) ..simular things happend
(where recalls are made from.. afaik)

Murdock

Hi and thanks for your responses. This is what probably also Indian will say: It was the circuit breaker.

But this does not explain the empty battery. When I first picked up the FTR in January (2020!) from the dealer the battery was dead and needed jump start. After that I drove for about 60 kilometers and parked it. A few days later, when I wanted to demo the bike to a friend, the battery was too weak to start. So I connected it to a tender and thought that maybe 60 kilomters are not enough for fully charging.

I charged it also before the last ride but it seems that the ride of 90 kilometers has sucked the battery empty. I could imagine that the alternator has not loaded it but no error or warning was displayed.

Assuming the Circuit breaker was involved: I am not an electrician but a circuit breaker is a very simple thing: It reacts on a deviation from normal to a defined threshold. Even if the threshold is lower than designed (due to quality issues), there has to be a deviation from normal operation. Otherwise all FTR would have turned off before doing the recall. The breaker shows only the symptom but the cause is unclear. Things like that have to be investigated. That is why I only want to collect similar "accidents". Everything else is just guessing at the moment.

I was lucky not to hurt myself much and I have a good insurance for the bike. But both is not freeing Indian from its responsibility to uncover the cause.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
The battery being dead will not cause the bike to shut off while riding it, unless your charging system isnt working.

A breaker being tripped due to its faulty design will, not all breakers were faulty, thus why not all ftrs didnt have issues, mine never did.

The crappy batteries in these bikes is a pretty wide know issue.

In your case, a breaker could have tripped, and didnt reset, causing your charging system to stop and the continuous drain on your battery.

The breakers are cheap to buy, most auto stores have them, if your dealer cant get them you can buy them yourself and install.

Max Kool

Battery dead means it’s been standing there in the showroom for a year. It’s kaputt and needs replaced.

mark.lb

I had my FTR RR in for service on Tuesday. Pitt Cycles had the breakers and did replace those that were recalled. (I also believe you experienced the breaker issue)
In Pittsburgh, PA only the service departments are open right now. The Dealership is closed for sales due to Coronavirus restrictions. However while in the shop the owner attempted to start a brand new FTR -S with S&S pipes so I could see how it sounded. The bike would not start. The battery was dead. This was a brand new machine with zero miles on a showroom floor with a dead battery. The owner was a little embarrassed. I keep my FTR on a tender continually when I am not riding the bike.

Attachments

• 1EAE7324-B390-45CB-8B25-595B96007709.jpeg
    1EAE7324-B390-45CB-8B25-595B96007709.jpeg
    321.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Reactions: Eds

Max Kool

How long has this brand new bike been standing there? It could easily be a bike that was produced a year ago (and never started).

mark.lb

I don’t know anything about this particular bike on the showroom floor. However I was the first FTR to be delivered in PA - May 25, 2019. If this bike came into the dealership at the same time the battery is less than 1 year old....but I suspect this bike is newer than that...

edgelett

heck even the owners manual says you have to ride it at least once every 2 weeks or the battery will go dead.

Max Kool

Interesting.

After I read your post @edgelett I hooked up my bike to a trickle charger (has been standing still for two weeks). It gave a "battery full" after 10 seconds.....

💁‍♂️

Blue1

I get seven plus years battery life from all the Japanese fours I've had over the last 20 years. Whenever they are parked at home they are on a Battery Tender.

I've replaced a few batteries that were fine after seven seasons just because I was going on a week long trip and didn't feel like finding out how long I could get one to last.

We'll see how long the FTR battery lasts. When this one takes a dump, I'm going to try a lithium battery and save a few pounds.

edgelett

yeah we use a trickle charger between the FTR and the Harley, they both draw a lot in electronics so want to make sure we can ride them at any time.
our charger also has a 'full charge' option so we can keep both bikes charged up.

the Honda doesn't need anything that bike starts after sitting around for 2 months lol

EllenGtrGrl

Oh how I sometimes long for the old days, when we didn't have to worry about killing the battery if the bike sat for too long, due to electronics pulling current from the battery.;)

SURLY

yeah we use a trickle charger between the FTR and the Harley, they both draw a lot in electronics so want to make sure we can ride them at any time.
our charger also has a 'full charge' option so we can keep both bikes charged up.

the Honda doesn't need anything that bike starts after sitting around for 2 months lol
The word Honda says it all my Cross tourer will happily cruise at 120mph (on the autobahn) and is just as happy being stuffed into corners I have owned three in the last seven years they get serviced once a year and just work no problem and people tell me Hondas are boring yeah right.

tet02

Hi Murdoch,
Reason: I dropped my bike because of this issue! My engine died without any warning during cornering, no chance to pull clutch. Engine stopped the rearwheel and I touched down.

Did you have any previous issues with cold start stalling, downshift stalling while hot and/or erratic surging with acceleration?
I've had two sphincter tightening moments with the bike stalling as I downshifted 3rd to 2nd into a tight corner. The first time it was pure arse I didn't end up doin' the bitumen boogie like yourself. The second time didn't take me by surprise so I skated around with the clutch in. But I've had it stall probably 20 times pulling up at traffic lights and the like.
Also on a cold start it stalls before I get my second glove on, every time, guaranteed. Did your scoot have similar issues?
I live in a regional area in Australia and have spoken to Indian Australia about the recall (circuit breaker replace) and the current stalling issue and was told it was a software problem that they expected an update to fix. Have yet to confirm thats the case because thats around the time the 'Beer Bug Bit' and changed the world as we know it.
But one good thing came of contacting them. I quizzed him about getting a workshop manual, and was told he couldn't get them himself but he sent me a digital version of the maintenance section of it if anyones interested happy to download to forum.

Murdock

... sphincter tightening moments ...
I love international forums because they help me to improve/extend my English skills. I am curious when I can use this in my business communications. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

First a warm welcome to the forum. My FTR did the "usual" stalling when cold, but not very extreme. It was my second ride on the brand new bike and I needed to press the starter button "only" twice in the morning. Beside that the bike runs smooth and without any trouble. I asked not much performance from the bike, it was only gentle cruising to add some kilometers before first service.

By the way: The manual is very welcome ;-).