Gas Cap

J0988

Hello All,

This is actually my first post on here and I‘m about to show my OCD right off the bat. I’ve owned my FTR for a few months now, but within the first month of owning it, I dropped my gas cap and scuffed it up pretty good. I’ve never dropped a motorcycle gas cap in my life and I decided my first time would be with a painted, one off, locking gas cap. I’ve looked the thing over pretty good and it really doesn’t look like something that can be taken apart for a re-coating. If anyone knows if it’s possible to take apart, or have any other suggestions, I’d love to hear them. No one makes a cool aftermarket cap, and I don’t want to order a new one and have to worry about 2 keys. I love the bike, but my biggest issue with it is that it’s too nice! Everything that happens to it gives me a panic attack, which is bad considering it’s well used...about 1,200 miles a month so far.

Thanks Everyone!

edgelett

haha yeah it sucks - want to keep your bike perfect but also want to ride it, and riding it means you'll eventually get stone chips/scuffs etc.

I haven't taken my cap apart, not sure how easy it is to be honest.
Thankfully my other bike also has a cap that comes right out the bike so I'm used to having to take it out carefully and put it down somewhere - but for many people this is their first bike like that and I know a couple have dropped it as a result

WayneFTR

Hello All,

This is actually my first post on here and I‘m about to show my OCD right off the bat. I’ve owned my FTR for a few months now, but within the first month of owning it, I dropped my gas cap and scuffed it up pretty good. I’ve never dropped a motorcycle gas cap in my life and I decided my first time would be with a painted, one off, locking gas cap. I’ve looked the thing over pretty good and it really doesn’t look like something that can be taken apart for a re-coating. If anyone knows if it’s possible to take apart, or have any other suggestions, I’d love to hear them. No one makes a cool aftermarket cap, and I don’t want to order a new one and have to worry about 2 keys. I love the bike, but my biggest issue with it is that it’s too nice! Everything that happens to it gives me a panic attack, which is bad considering it’s well used...about 1,200 miles a month so far.

Thanks Everyone!
Dude that does suck! Perhaps you could get a replacement from your dealer with the vin and key number... I feel ya pain man.

J0988

haha yeah it sucks - want to keep your bike perfect but also want to ride it, and riding it means you'll eventually get stone chips/scuffs etc.

I haven't taken my cap apart, not sure how easy it is to be honest.
Thankfully my other bike also has a cap that comes right out the bike so I'm used to having to take it out carefully and put it down somewhere - but for many people this is their first bike like that and I know a couple have dropped it as a result

That’s what’s so annoying, my last couple bikes had caps that came completely off and I never dropped either of those. Just the irreplaceable one.

J0988

Dude that does suck! Perhaps you could get a replacement from your dealer with the vin and key number... I feel ya pain man.

I wish. I contacted Indian and they basically just gave me the part number and said I could order a new one which comes with a new set of keys.

cupcake_mike

I will take a look next time i'm in the dealership...it would be crazy to think that the ftr cap isnt shared with another model and maybe can pursue the aftermarket for that other model.

mark.lb

I would think about buying a new one from the dealer and taking it to a locksmith and have him swap the keyed tumbler from the old one to the new one. Locksmiths do this every day on cars, houses and businesses.

J0988

I would think about buying a new one from the dealer and taking it to a locksmith and have him swap the keyed tumbler from the old one to the new one. Locksmiths do this every day on cars, houses and businesses.

That’s a great idea. Thanks!

mark.lb

If you want to be extra careful take the damaged cap to a locksmith first and make sure the tumbler swap is possible.

J0988

If you want to be extra careful take the damaged cap to a locksmith first and make sure the tumbler swap is possible.

Yeah, I have my doubts looking at the cap, but it’s amazing what people, with a little know how, are capable of doing.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I will take a look next time i'm in the dealership...it would be crazy to think that the ftr cap isnt shared with another model and maybe can pursue the aftermarket for that other model.
Sadly its not, all the other indian models have a different style.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
A piper aircraft style fuel cap would be nice. you would need to lock it if you didnt want to.

With how they designed the center section of the "tank", there really is no way to add a flip up cap

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yeah my minds been thinking now. im going home to take measurements later. good thing with aviation parts, they are very specific with measurements and quite a few options

Charliemurphay

Yeah my minds been thinking now. im going home to take measurements later. good thing with aviation parts, they are very specific with measurements and quite a few options
Cirrus use similar style smaller caps like that, worth a look.
With the slow fueling of this thing, man wouldn’t single point be a nice option? 😂