Gas Cap

J0988

A piper aircraft style fuel cap would be nice. you would need to lock it if you didnt want to.

With how they designed the center section of the "tank", there really is no way to add a flip up cap

I actually did come across those when I was looking for an aftermarket cap. Definitely intriguing. The flip-up cap is something i wish Indian would’ve kept from their FTR 1200 prototype bike, that appeared to have a tank closer to the scout. I’m guessing they changed that when they decided to go with the underseat gas tank.

J0988

*UPDATE if anyone cares.

I broke down and bought a new OEM gas cap since I’m not confident anyone is making any aftermarket caps. I took my old cap in to 3 separate, highly-reviewed locksmiths. They all proceeded to tell me they could not take the cap apart, therefore they could not re-key or swap the tumbler to the new one.

Since I already ordered a new cap, I decided to give taking the old one apart, a try. It took me, a guy who’s never worked on a lock in his life, all of 10 minutes to take apart AND put back together. I drives me nuts how so many “professionals” won’t work on anything they are not super familiar with. Where’s the sense of adventure or pride?

In a week I’ll have a new gas cap that uses my ignition key! I’m definitely going to baby this new one haha.

Thanks for all the replies to this thread!

Last edited:

neromondial

Good to know it can be done, thank you. I have noticed reading about your experience has made me be a bit more careful with my gas cap. Which seems strange to say.

orcas

*UPDATE if anyone cares.

I broke down and bought a new OEM gas cap since I’m not confident anyone is making any aftermarket caps. I took my old cap in to 3 separate, highly-reviewed locksmiths. They all proceeded to tell me they could not take the cap apart, therefore they could not re-key or swap the tumbler to the new one.

Since I already ordered a new cap, I decided to give taking the old one apart, a try. It took me, a guy who’s never worked on a lock in his life, all of 10 minutes to take apart AND put back together. I drives me nuts how so many “professionals” won’t work on anything they are not super familiar with. Where’s the sense of adventure or pride?

In a week I’ll have a new gas cap that uses my ignition key! I’m definitely going to baby this new one haha.

Thanks for all the replies to this thread!
Any simple explanation as how to take apart the tumbler? i am in need of a new cap also...

J0988

Any simple explanation as how to take apart the tumbler? i am in need of a new cap also
I don’t believe you can take apart the tumbler itself, but it is extremely easy to swap tumblers. All you have to do is remove this pin
2762C3F5-0929-4E94-906A-C9572EF91C2D.jpeg
and everything comes apart. If you look at it, one side is notched out allowing the pin to slide out. This is the most difficult part, because you need to press down and have a good tool that you can slide in behind the pin and push it out. After the pin is out, the rest is very obvious. There are only like 5 total parts and it is extremely easy to put back together. Easier to put the pin back in than remove it.

Hope this helps!

mark.lb

I’m amazed a locksmith would not give it a go. You were going to throw it away - even if they broke it. Glad all is well....

Last edited:

J0988

I’m amazed a locksmith would not give it a go. You were going to throw it away - even if they broke it. Glad alll is well....
Thanks! Yeah, I was surprised too. Especially since it’s pretty obvious, when you look at it, that that pin is holding everything together.

Wayne

RSD makes a beautiful tracker gas cap but oddly the most popular tracker out there the FTR is not included. RSD, are you listening?

MilwDave

RSD makes a beautiful tracker gas cap but oddly the most popular tracker out there the FTR is not included. RSD, are you listening?
I sent RSD an e-Mail about six months ago stating there is a market for an FTR gas cap.

Max Kool

Looks like Rizoma have actually dropped a few of the FTR dedicated products.... The radiator side panels have never been in stock anywhere afaik. :-(

rizoma_radiator_side_flaps_right_left_750x750.jpg

Max Kool

Seriously wondering if they still look good with a radiator guard (which mounts under these bolts).