Heads up on FOBO Bike 2 tyre pressure sensors

rawsoncj

I read about the FOBO Bike 2 tyre pressure sensors, and they sounded like a good idea. They mount to the valve stem and communicate tyre pressure readings to an app on your phone via Bluetooth, even sending you alerts if your pressure falls below a level you define.

I ordered a set, then waited nearly a month for them to arrive.

They got here today, and… they don’t fit the FTR.

More specifically, they don’t fit the front tyre. Because the FTR’s valve stems are 90-degree mounted, there isn’t enough clearance between the FOBO sensor and the brake callipers. I found this out the hard way, when even just lightly wheeling the bike around in the garage to check the clearances caused the FOBO sensor to hit the calliper with enough force to damage the sensor.

The second sensor fit the rear tyre just fine, but the one I tried to mount to the front is now buggered. Something about the way it hit the calliper means the outer casing won’t unscrew anymore (not even with assistance from pliers), which means I can’t get at the battery inside… so once that’s dead, so is the sensor.

Overall this product seems like a good idea, just not for the FTR. For any bike with normal valve stems, it would probably work fine. For the FTR… not so much.

kiwi dave

I have tyre pressure indicators on all my bikes (including my push bike). They are not much larger than the original plastic dust cap, and change from green (safe) to yellow (caution) to danger (red) as the pressure in the tyre drops.

I run a 36 psi unit on the front tyre, and a 40 psi on the rear. These work out well for me. Checking the pressure with a pressure gauge will demand the air compressor or hand pump each time, so it's easier just to glance at the units before each ride.

I purchased them from tyrecheckers.com.au, but I notice their website is saying they are "updating their shop and will be back soon". I hope there hasn't been a incident with one of their products to them to make them unavailable.

Of course they're manufactured in China.

1636511675801.png

Last edited:

kiwi dave

no 90 deg valve stems on my FTR. Assume it must be a regional/whichever dealer setup your bike kind of thing.
Do you see any reason why rawsoncj can't do the same thing and revert to a straight valve stem mount? It wouldn't cost a lot of money.

I can see the reason why some people put these 90° valve stems on their bike. Most service stations (both NZ and USA) that have self service tyre pumps have a 0° fitting that is supposedly easier for those that are unfamiliar with how to actually make these devices work.

I can understand it for the automobile crowd, but I would like to think that us bikers are far more aware.

edgelett

I have no issue with service station tyre pumps on my Honda.
I really struggle to get them on the rear of the FTR.

motocroft

Good quality pushbike floor pump and digital (calibrated) tyre pressure gauge is all I've ever used.
Check cold and often and a few pumps to top up every now and then - simple.