Heated Gear

Bacfield

Anyone running heated gear on their FTR? If so, any concerns about using the OEM installed pigtail with an SAE to coax adapter, or do I need to run the wIring directly back to the battery? Looking the extend the riding season as long as possible!

Last edited:

kiwi dave

But you are still tethered to the motorcycle. Sooner or later you will forget and find out the hard way.

Much better to have a small battery in your pocket just for the gloves, and avoid getting them wrenched off. YMMV.

wallycycle

Sooner or later you will forget and find out the hard way.
Don't quite understand what you mean by "the hard way". I have on the rare occasion forgotten to pull the coax connection between jacket and bike apart prior to dismounting. It's a complete non-issue. It just pulls apart as it's only a friction connection. I am missing something?

R. Warshawsky

Just two different ways of solving the problem...I use a heated vest that has a battery...works great until it's time to recharge...LOL

wallycycle

Arent the 12 volt stronger usually also?
I assume you mean stronger than a bespoke battery for the jacket. I don't know what power rating the battery has that's referred to. But as the poster stated, works until it runs out.

Heated gear that runs on the motorcycle's electrical power will never run out of juice as long as the engine is running. Warm & Safe heated motorcycle clothing is designed to run on a motorcycle's power supply.

Wildmtn

Warm and Safe. Best heated gear and controllers. Excellent customer service. Developed and owned by a motorcyclist.

I pull power directly from the battery using Warm and Safe coax power lead.

https://www.warmnsafe.com/
Same for me. I ran the pigtail under the center airbox cover directly to the battery. I have forgotten to unplug a number of times on both my bikes and the connector simply disconnects without issue.

C-KicksXL

I use first gear heated gear mostly run it on my octane and cross country but i have used it on my FTR. I dont use the stock sae connector i ran a comfort connector when i put in the lithium battery. i have battery gloves and vest and they are crap compared to the plug in. I thought the plug in would be too much effort but it works so much better. the heat controller i put a quadlock universal adapter on it so i can snap it on to my phone mount.

Also i never unplug it when i am done. I just get off my bike and it comes out. it is just a standard 12v connector going to the gear. It is designed so if you forget to unplug it nothing happens.