Hello from Maryland USA

PaddyMac

Just wanted to say hello. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an FTR and wanted to get a handle on common updates, and changes that most people make.

Charliemurphay

Just wanted to say hello. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an FTR and wanted to get a handle on common updates, and changes that most people make.
Welcome from MN. The usual changes, exhaust+tune. If you want most HP, Toce exhaust+Lloydz bench flash. Fuel Moto is another reputable tuner. I’m a recent convert to Lloydz from Fuel Moto though. The Lloydz tune is 👌🏻 even on a bone stock bike. The Toce exhaust is pretty barky, videos don’t do the volume justice. I have the S&S 2-2 High mount and I love it.

Last edited:

pushit

Welcome
Other than some kind of storage, because there isn't any on the bike, I'd say most people get a tune -there's an annoying surge at 3-4krpms, and it allegedly helps with that and overall throttle response. They changed the exhaust starting in '22 so there aren't that many aftermarket options available unfortunately

FTR London

Welcome from MN. The usual changes, exhaust+tune. If you want most HP, Toce exhaust+Lloydz bench flash. Fuel Moto is another reputable tuner. I’m a recent cover to Lloydz from Fuel Moto though. The Lloydz tune is 👌🏻 even on a bone stock bike. The Toce exhaust is pretty barky, videos don’t do the volume justice. I have the S&S 2-2 High mount and I love it.
Charlie, how could you omit and overlook Apple Car Play you philistine?

Regarding the above, funnily enough...

IMG_20220428_090001938.jpg

FTR London

😂 Oops my bad.
Did you install those bars yet? I wanna see how they look.
Been really busy with work and other commitments. From my invaluable discussions with @ferraiolo1 and @Max Kool I have arrived at the conclusion that they are either now defunct/discontinued or more likely - a knock off, which would explain everything. Have to say, that they are bloody good quality for fakes, so no reservations about that whatsoever. They measure up fine (clamp area and control surfaces) but do not conform to any existing ProTaper product which is either wider as Mike suggested, or much narrower in terms of overall width. My only concern is, although I measured the diameter of the bar ends and they appear to be fine, whether they accommodate the bar end and the mirrors. Absolutely - I'll post when done (or defeated as the case may be).

The Toce is going to be bloody loud because it is minus the baffle. Although that's never going to be optimum, the Lloydz tune can't come soon enough because the cold start issue is borderline unrideable now.

edgelett

The Toce is going to be bloody loud because it is minus the baffle. Although that's never going to be optimum, the Lloydz tune can't come soon enough because the cold start issue is borderline unrideable now.
Any reason you didn't get the baffle? I got mine included as my reasoning was I can always take it out but its harder to get one delivered from overseas

FTR London

Any reason you didn't get the baffle? I got mine included as my reasoning was I can always take it out but its harder to get one delivered from overseas
Yes - because I'm a twat and I'm not as rational or pragmatic as you Tash. You read my posts, I can be impetuous and stubborn and It's still the wayward teen in me that loves everything raw about bikes as opposed to the practical. I never lost that fascination - and this bike elicits all those emotions that I first felt when I owned my first MX bike as a kid. I currently run the straight through S&S can and decat and I regularly attempt to convey on here how ridiculously loud it is. This does pose an issue, because my current tune never eliminated the cold start issue, which is horrendous on my bike and it is too loud to warm up at sixish in the morning when I'm not working from home. Consequently I take my life into my own hands - or rather, at the whim this psychopathic bi-polar machine, for the first five miles of my commute. Other than that, I am heard and I have barely any issues with drivers unlike some quieter bikes I have owned in the past.

Obtaining one from Connecticut isn't an issue - by chance, I have a friend that lives 20 miles from Manchester. The expense of shipping and the exorbitant handling/customs duty/VAT absolutely is though when ordering expensive items from overseas. It possibly would have been cheaper flying out and bringing this bloody thing back in person. 😄 . I can if necessary install it afterwards...and it may be I need to but if it's around the same volume as the S&S - I won't be.

So I'm fairly confident it won't be any louder than what I have now. From what I can tell - and as has been mentioned, it really is hard to do it justice over a video but when Breto's recently blew out, it sounded very similar to my can. My current exhaust sounds like a 21 gun salute on the overrun. Shut the throttle/downshift, it's like an artillery barrage. Very, very loud but a beautiful deep resonance. Changing it for the Toce I suspect will sound more rasping and racy and snarl not unlike like the Bassani, but quieter - (yours sounds sweet even with the baffle in) - a different sound altogether. That said, the sound comparison you did with Tony's old bike, I thought that the Forty Eight was louder although in reality when you filmed it in person you said you didn't detect much difference.

Purists will disagree, but I love the bang, crackle and pop of a sub-optimal tune on the overrun and straight through pipe. That will be reduced with the new flash for sure, which is a plus, but not wholly eliminated. Obviously sans-baffles and sub back pressure I'm never going to get it to the optimum. The lambda sensors have no clue what the gasses are doing and it's always going to be prone to a rich mixture. I've spoken to the European Lloydz tuner in the UK and apparently Ryan has developed solutions for a straight through scenario - and you can subsequently install the baffle without compromising it, the issue would arise the other way around if you took it out after flashing the tune. I already have the K&N high-flow filter, so it should be pretty straightforward. Also, since there is now a registered tuner here in the UK, I can always refine it further with the bench tune if need be. They have been deluged with ECUs from all over Europe, but I'd likely ride it down there for the weekend as opposed to posting it.

I should have the Exhaust system on by tomorrow (time permitting) and the flash uploaded by next week. Just to add, really grateful for all the insight that you have shared on here - not simply in terms of the Toce, but the bike in general. If it's too loud even for me, I'll be the first to concede it and there will be a new order going into Toce pronto.

As a matter of interest, how easy is it to remove and refit the baffle/dB killer and cannister track screen given you have both. Could you take them out and routinely refit them? If so, for the sake of curiosity, have you tried it without the dB killer/baffle assembly? I guess that there would be no point if you deem that it's sufficiently loud as it is.

Webby

Welcome!! I had my first Sushi at a place called (oddly enough) Kawasaki's in Baltimore with a girl who was a hella fast sportbike rider.
I'm 3 mo into my ownership and initially poopoo'ed the tune but the cool kids on here who say it's a must speak the truth. If you getting a 22 the rub is the whole exhaust system is welded so you'll have to go full system if exhaust is your thang. You can delete the baffles easy to make it sound better (youtube it). To lose the overbuilt rear fender or not is a hot topic. You got options on this little runner. Enjoy!

JDP

Hey paddymac you say your in Maryland? I’m in md also just outside of Annapolis, I got my FTR in 2019 and just love it can’t stop riding it, we will have to run in to each other this summer, I rode my bike to Arizona and Utah last year and had a blast but a sore ass though, trying to get a saddleman seat after I sell some blood but didn’t have any problems at all, I have a rack on the back to bungee my duffel bag to S&S slip on with Ryan Lloyd down load on the ECU , small windshield for traveling, enjoy it

JDP

Last year west coast ride

Attachments

• F84B8DC1-B267-4374-8BE4-FF42FBC89F51.png
    F84B8DC1-B267-4374-8BE4-FF42FBC89F51.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 4

Walrus

Welcome:
My must-have upgrades: Toce low-mount exhaust, Lloyds tune, heated grips and a little Harley - yes the H word - side bag that velrcos to the frame. Costs about $70. Water resistant and enough to carry glasses, documents, phone. BTW, grips are most excellent add-on for cold weather rides. Got hooked on 'em with my first BMW.
I'm also shopping a seat: FTR has most uncomfy stock seat I've encountered in 55 years of riding. First stocker I've considered deliberately scrapping. It's my only gripe. But not all butts are the same - and not a deal breaker since FTR only gets about 130 miles or so between fillups.
Per Toce exhaust: No baffles for me, but I don't find it particularly loud or obnoxious.

FTR London

Welcome:
My must-have upgrades: Toce low-mount exhaust, Lloyds tune, heated grips and a little Harley - yes the H word - side bag that velrcos to the frame. Costs about $70. Water resistant and enough to carry glasses, documents, phone. BTW, grips are most excellent add-on for cold weather rides. Got hooked on 'em with my first BMW.
I'm also shopping a seat: FTR has most uncomfy stock seat I've encountered in 55 years of riding. First stocker I've considered deliberately scrapping. It's my only gripe. But not all butts are the same - and not a deal breaker since FTR only gets about 130 miles or so between fillups.
Per Toce exhaust: No baffles for me, but I don't find it particularly loud or obnoxious.
I've also ordered the Toce sans-baffles, because I suspected it can't possibly be as loud as my existing system and in all the sound comparisons I've watched on line, despite the nice tone, it hasn't come across as particularly loud at all - even minus the baffle/dB killer assembly. Can't get around to fitting it until next week - so will report back.

Regarding the seat, I'm aghast - as my experience is the diametric opposite of yours. In what, the 28 or so motorcycles that I've owned and others that I've ridden which are too numerous to mention, this is the most comfortable seat that I have ever encountered. Truly bewildered about your findings.

Walrus

@London: Not all butts are same. I have a boney ass. Think is combo of my leg length (28-inch inseam) and peg position. Just where it sit/hit. Never had this issue on ANY other bike and I'ved owned 32 just in last 10 years. Is weird. But as I say, not a deal breaker. When it starts bothering me, I slide around. But I am looking for a second stock seat I can take to a local custumizer. Don't want to give up my current seat and not be able to ride the FTR.

FTR London

Think is combo of my leg length (28-inch inseam) and peg position. Just where I shit.
We are indeed all different - but I can honestly say that the only reason I didn't immediately rip it off and replace it with the much better looking tracker seat is because it is so unusually comfortable. In spite of this, I often favour form over function in a motorcycle so it'll eventually be binned in favour of the latter.

FTR London

If it's too loud even for me, I'll be the first to concede it and there will be a new order going into Toce pronto.

I pledged to report back -

IMG_20220503_171625719.jpg

You were absolutely right - it's loud, very loud, obnoxiously loud - in fact it's so loud that it's posing an ethical dilemma as to whether it's tenable to ride it in terms of my own health and well being and that of the British public.

Incidentally, I am aware that the hanger needs to go at the back of the bracket to reduce stress on it - but it won't. No matter what I do, it won't clear the swingarm. I have put it on the front for now, but it looks at a very similar angle as pictures of bikes that have it on the back of the bracket. I honestly wouldn't have known that it should be on the rear had I not looked at pictures and videos. I'll perhaps have another play, but no matter what was tried it wouldn't go in.

IMG_20220503_171612312.jpg

IMG_20220503_171559903_MP.jpg

edgelett

I pledged to report back -

You were absolutely right - it's loud, very loud, obnoxiously loud - in fact it's so loud that it's posing an ethical dilemma as to whether it's tenable to ride it in terms of my own health and well being and that of the British public.
I have quoted this post so it is preserved in history forever, to be known as the day I was right lmao!
(just teasing)

I found youtube videos give a great indication of the tone of an exhaust, but not volume so I got the DB killer just in case.
Good news for you, is the new design (which you have) makes putting the DB killer in and out a LOT easier than the older model like mine.

As to the bracket - that's weird. Assuming you used WD40 to help everything slide on well when you assembled it?
maybe a 2nd pair of hands to help you get it in place?