Hot Seat

Before buying the FTR I had heard about the hot seat issue. Most people said it’s not an issue. One person just suggested riding faster. So after about a 45 minute ride in 72° weather it became an uncomfortable issue. I was actually sitting on the passenger seat riding to stay cool. I have gold foil on the way but not sure that’s gonna do much. I’ve heard you need to decat to get rid of engine heat. Will that void any sort of warranties? What have you all done to get rid of this heat issue?

mark.lb

Just kidding. The foil should help. I find as long as I keep moving it is not too bad. In Slow traffic Or at a light it gets guide warm...I still have the CAT and Akropovic cans.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
If you decat, you will need to tune to compensate, as it will run oddly and the torque curve is changes, but yes, a decat and tune does lower the temps a good bit.

The warranty depends on your dealer, its best to talk to them.

Thanks for replies. I will try the gold foil since it’s coming soon. I just hate spending money on a brand new motorcycle. I will try to tolerate it and then maybe next year I will get a new exhaust with the PV3. It seems Fuel Moto USA has a combo deal that saves you 60 bucks if you buy the exhaust with the PV3.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Their link pipe has been known to leak, i had one for a day and removed it, if you look at the facebook groups and other indian forum you will see all the reviews.

I would personally go with the TOCE link pipe. Theirs comes with a machined cone that slips into your header to help keep some back pressure, they also have a deal with the PV3, which comes with the Lloydz tune that was made specifically for it. The didnt just make a link pipe for the sake of making a link pipe that was first on the market, they actually designed one for performance and fit. And its finished in the same material as the oem header so it will discolor evenly

As far as spending money on a new bike, ive never ridden a new bike or driven a new car that couldnt greatly benefit from a tune, the epa has them so choked down from the factory with the lagging throttle and fuel cut.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info about the exhaust. (Bassani). Hopefully in the next year or so they come out with some more exhaust choices. I can’t justify spending $1100 on a brand new motorcycle. I’m fine with the sound level of the stock exhaust so maybe I could just get a cat delete pipe and run the stock mufflers? I would still need the PV3.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Ah thought you were talking about the FM cat delete pipe, not bassani.

Yes you can keep your stock pipes and add any of the cat deletes. Yes a tune is still needed for propper performance.

this is the toce

MotoJedi

Before buying the FTR I had heard about the hot seat issue. Most people said it’s not an issue. One person just suggested riding faster. So after about a 45 minute ride in 72° weather it became an uncomfortable issue. I was actually sitting on the passenger seat riding to stay cool. I have gold foil on the way but not sure that’s gonna do much. I’ve heard you need to decat to get rid of engine heat. Will that void any sort of warranties? What have you all done to get rid of this heat issue?

This evening...I got my first taste of the hot seat. I guess I was too excited during the test ride at the dealer and then when I purchased and rode home today, I also didn't notice. But after dinner, I went out for another ride.. roughly one hour. I was wearing normal jeans, not riding jeans, so a lot thinner and man I thought my legs were on fire.. it was crazy hot. Hotter than any Ducati I've ever owned or ridden.

I guess it is what it is.

Max Kool

Interestingly, I have the tracker seat (from day 1, never rode the stock seat), and although the FTR can shed a lot of heat from the radiator -left leg- and exhaust headers -right leg- in slow traffic, I never experienced a hot seat...

mark.lb

Put on a set of S and S Grand National High pipes. As long as your butt and family jewels are already roasting you might as well also have a hot right thigh. - But will look and sound super cool!

K9F

BillyZ1200 I made the same reference some time ago....But my picture is better as you can get them with studs in whoooo hoooo!

Me too but not often on the FTR. The KTM was really bad for it as the cooling fan used to come on way too early and blast you with hot air in heavy traffic.

Does that not just stop the heat coming 'through' the seat? Any discomfort experienced is surely coming from the rear cylinder head/exhaust the heat arising around the seat? It's more of a 'Captain Itch Indian Crotch Cooler' you'd need for the FTR not a seat foil lining IMHO? Then again it would not fit in at all with the look and styling of the FTR and I'd rather suffer roasting my conkers than fit something so out of style. Then again we don't often suffer with longer spells of higher ambient temperature as some?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...t=captain+itch+crotch+cooler+indian&FORM=IGRE

View attachment 710

It would look totally ridiculous on an FTR. Hell it looks crap on the bikes they're supposed to fit. Definitely a case of 'function over form.'

BillyZ1200 I made the same reference some time ago....But my picture is better as you can get them with studs in whoooo hoooo!

It would look totally ridiculous on an FTR. Hell it looks crap on the bikes they're supposed to fit. Definitely a case of 'function over form.'
I’m looking for any solution that works without spending $500 plus on new exhaust. I’ll do that in a few years time. Still waiting on gold foil to arrive to see if helps any. Function over form is the way to go. I don’t want to limit my riding because I’m super uncomfortable.

K9F

Hi Billy,

No offence meant or implied but looking back through the posts you mention discomfort at 72 degrees Fahrenheit, that is 22 degrees in my money. Are you perhaps a little oversensitive to heat or maybe wearing too much of, or the wrong gear? Summer temperatures here exceed that and in other places it's a damn sight hotter with very little complaint from others. Not sure where you are but if legislation allows ditch the catalytic converter, buy a lighter pair of pants, ride faster or see if there is some possibility or circumventing the fan trigger for it to come on earlier or keep it on all the time off the ignition? I have no bother with it myself but do notice it slightly. Try not to get too hung up about it, I doubt if there's anything apart from what I have mentioned that will solve it to be honest?

Hi Billy,

No offence meant or implied but looking back through the posts you mention discomfort at 72 degrees Fahrenheit, that is 22 degrees in my money. Are you perhaps a little oversensitive to heat or maybe wearing too much of, or the wrong gear? Summer temperatures here exceed that and in other places it's a damn sight hotter with very little complaint from others. Not sure where you are but if legislation allows ditch the catalytic converter, buy a lighter pair of pants, ride faster or see if there is some possibility or circumventing the fan trigger for it to come on earlier or keep it on all the time off the ignition? I have no bother with it myself but do notice it slightly. Try not to get too hung up about it, I doubt if there's anything apart from what I have mentioned that will solve it to be honest?
The thing is I’m usually cold. Hate riding when it’s below 60. Maybe I’ll be riding on cooler days more now. Just wearing jeans, helmet and a light padded jacket. I’ll have to see how it is when it hits upper 80s. Just looking for a cost efficient way to be more comfortable. If it continues to be a problem then I guess I’ll be forced to change out the exhaust sooner than I was expecting to.

Max Kool

Jeans are hotter than leather riding pants in warm weather imho. Leather keeps the heat out better.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I have the gold foil on my stock seat. But going to the tracker seat it’s even cooler