Interesting Article about Survival on the Roads

edgelett

really good article- most of the tips I do already (look at the head of the driver in the car was drummed in to me when I got my learners permit for both car and bike).
but knowing WHY people holler out ye olde 'sorry mate I didn't see you' is helpful. I might not yell back at them next time. unless I know they were on a phone of course ;)

Timps27

Eyes lie, wheels don’t, especially on a motorcycle. Car drivers making lane crossing turns will stare right through you and pull out; if you watch their wheels you will pick up wheel rotation from a stop in milliseconds.

motocroft

Indeed.
And as a 10+ year moto commuter and 20+ pushie rider/commuter I can ensure you this is true.
Another item is what I refer to as the "dead zone" or "no-mans' land"

This is when you are in clear road - you've punched through the traffic behind you and not yet caught up to the traffic in front. Could be after a red light turns green, could be after you filtered, split, fought your way to the front.

Either way - you are invisible now.
Any car looking to enter the road you're on will only see ample space to enter the flow. When in the dead zone - be dynamic, vary lane position and speed. Treat every car waiting to enter the road as an imminent threat.

My 2c.

Last edited:

kiwi dave

Cage drivers don't see you because they don't want to, and they are bigger than you.

If you ride without considering this, you ain't gonna last very long.

Mlazarus

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. This is also covered in level 1 of California Superbike School. It works on several levels, including helping riders pick out entry points and apex points. As well as exit areas.