Is There Anyone About?

K9F

Bit quiet on here...…..

Whilst I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my FTR I am acutely aware there are those that have been lucky enough to have taken delivery of theirs already. Information and the associated feedback is scant on all the associated Indian forums and FTR threads from those that have finally got them.

My thoughts are as follows:

Either the machine far reaches everyone's expectations and they are too busy tearing around the countryside sporting manic grins under their helmets?

OR...…..

They are being coy and hiding their unfortunate disappointment after the longer than expected anticipation.

Come on somebody please feed my desire and hunger for true input on first impressions from an owners (not magazine tester's) perspective.

mark.lb

I took delivery of my FTR1200 Race Replica on May 26, 2019 from Pitt Cycles near Pittsburgh, PA. The bike has exceeded my expectations. It is smooth and powerful. The suspension and brakes are tremendous. It is an easy bike to ride fast. I have 1100 miles so far and have had no problems or issues. I get a lot of questions and positive comments from other bikers who see it. So far I have not seen another FTR on the road. It has been fun owning and riding a motorcycle that not one else has seen let alone ridden. I hope your bike it delivered soon...

K9F

Thanks for the input Mark. Still waiting. First batch have got theirs but I too haven’t seen one on the road or had a chance to speak to anyone that have got theirs.
Off on holiday in a couple of weeks for two weeks, am hoping it will be ready and waiting for my return. Have a European trip to Germany in the planning stage for September, holiday asides I am hoping to take delivery rack up enough miles to get the first service out of the way then see how good she fairs on a longer haul trip on the unrestricted autobahns of Germany.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Sadly fb seems to have taken place of the ole trusty forum. But I’m sure it will get more traffic once people want to start modding their bikes. Or start having issues with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my Race Replica on June 22nd. I already have 2500 miles on it. So far it way exceeds my expectations. It's fast, torquey, smooth, shifts great, looks great, has a wonderful intake sound when you whack the throttle open. And the slipper clutch is magic in the mountains. I have never had a bike with ABS/TC before and I really like it. I can step the rear out in a turn and the TC just eliminates all the drama. Sport mode disables the wheelie mitigation and it wheelies easily in and is controllable.

The seat is really nice, the brakes work just as you would expect for Brembos, the suspension works well with some tuning. Progressive Suspension in Hesperia, CA set mine up. You can read about the settings here Progressive Suspension setup.

The headlight is awesome, I had quit riding my Ducati at night because of the headlight but I don't give it a second thought on the FTR.

And having cruise control is something I never even thought about on a motorcycle but it's nice on the freeway.

The Ridecommand is a nice touch also. Having an external thermometer, compass, fuel gauge, and multiple trip odometers is a welcome addition over my Ducati.

I bought a Cardo Packtalk when I bought the FTR. I sync'd my iPhone to the FTR and the Cardo. I get text messages on the Ridecommand screen and can see who is calling/answer on the screen.

I have been riding for 53 years, mostly motocross, but I am blown away with my FTR! All of my other bikes have been Japanese or European and the FTR is right up there.

I visit it every night in the garage before I go to bed. I put an LED light over it so that I can see it clearly.

K9F

Thank you for the input Rikosintie. At long last my FTR is finally coming next week. For some reason the red on titanium colours were the last to be shipped. Everyone seems to have gone for the Race Replicas or black, my dealer has fulfilled all his orders with the exception of the last two in that colour combo. I have two weeks to rack up the miles to first service prior to my 700 mile trip across Europe.

Hello K9F,
Same here, I had to wait an extra couple weeks for my race replica. I don't think you will have any problem hitting the service miles in two weeks! This bike is off the charts fun and I hit the mileage in one week.

Enjoy the trip across Europe! I hope to vacation in Italy next summer, tour the Ducati factory and then take a Multistrada through the Italian Alps.

K9F

I am off to the Hartz mountains in Germany, expect to cover quite a considerable amount of mileage in under a week. As time is so short before departure (expected delivery of my FTR was some considerable time ago) it will still be somewhat of a 'new entity' when I depart. Have 'hedged my bets' a little and purchased an Air Hawk DS, nothing worse than getting a numb posterior after an hour or two in the saddle when you have a long distance to go. Plan is that I will rack the mileage to first service with the decat fitted and baffles removed, am having the low level Akrapovics fitted to my non Race Replica as the standard pipes were not up to the task on my dealership owner's own FTR with the decat and he blew them apart as the inner walls are wafer thin. If it is too noisy I'll refit the baffles on the first service.
On my previous bike (also EFI) I had a Scottoiler auto chain lubrication system. The electronic version for EFI cost well over £200, but the vacuum version for carburettor bikes only £70. So I bought the cheaper version and produced the vacuum required by fitting a small medical syringe, pull the plunger the internal valve lifts allowing a gravity feed of oil to drip on the chain. Will do the same on the FTR as it saves time either drilling the inlet manifold or buying the more expensive EFI system and running and splicing cables to fit, and getting to grips with the electronic control unit. Have also ordered the rack and tank bag as I hate carrying a rucksack on longer jaunts. Channel Tunnel tickets booked, plans are all in place, all I now need is the bike itself. Deposit was placed in January, it's been a long wait made even more frustrating by being one of the last two still waiting, with a black and a Race Replica available to purchase today on the shop floor.

Sounds like a great trip! I just assumed that decatting and removing baffles would be a capital offense on the continent!

I live in southern California and it's a $1000 plus fine for a decat. And Highway Patrol does check, an acquaintance of mine got a ticket recently.

I didn't realize that you could put a motorcycle on the Chunnel train, that is sweet. I have taken the Chunnel a couple of times and it was a nice way to travel.

I would like to have the S&S high pipes but they are definitely illegal in California and would stick out like a sore thumb!

Next year I plan to move to Arizona and they are legal there so maybe I'll purchase a set.

rhledge

@K9F, hope you get your bike soon! Had mine out for 110 mile trip today (gorgeous day here - 78F/25C and low humidity) and no issues with the seat for me. And the good thing about the small gas tank is you need to refill it every 90-100 miles, so not really much time for your butt to get sore!

K9F

Thanks for the replies guys, we more or less have free reign over here to do as we wish. Motor vehicles over here when bought brand new have three years without any testing requirements. Thereafter there is an annual MoT test that checks the roadworthiness of said vehicle with a clear and concise checklist the tester has to follow. Currently there are no emission tests carried out on motorcycles. One thing you do have to be careful with is declaring modifications to your insurers as not declaring them could invalidate your insurance totally in the unfortunate event you need to claim.
At this moment in time I hope to have my bike 02 September at the very latest. I traded in my small KTM Duke 390 just yesterday by delivering it to the dealership. Mixed emotions as it was a great little runaround for commuting, a new chapter begins.
Currently having a little problem getting reputable multi bike policy as the Indian FTR being so new has not yet been 'rated' by many insurers. There is only one underwriter offering insurance at the moment and they are a company to be avoided at all costs. If you want to spend an amusing 5-10 minutes browse the review link below. Insurance is only as good as when you need to make a claim, quite often cheap insurance is not worth the paper the policy is printed on.

RHledge,
Interesting! In the US we have 49 state models and California models. The other 49 states sound like what you have. I am planning to leave the Peoples Republic of California next year when I retire. Then maybe the S&S exhaust!

Insurance for motorcycles is a problem here also! Yes, I pay for a national carrier for just the reason you mention.

Since you live here, If you have to ask why I am leaving the Peoples Republic of California then there is no point trying to explain it to you. And I don't want to get banned by going on a rant about CA!

And just because they don't have inspections doesn't mean CHP won't ticket you for an aftermarket exhaust or decat.

Schwartzenegger's last act as governor was to sign a bill restricting aftermarket exhausts. Just go to S&S's site and look at the FTR pipe. It will say ILLEGAL in CALIFORNIA.

Max Kool

Nope, no point trying explaining it to me.

Serious, CHP won't ticket you unless your bike is really loud (open exhaust), in which case you deserved it imho.

K9F

Things are finally materialising. Had a call from the dealership this afternoon. Bike has finally arrived and work has begun. Catalytic convertor is gone as is the horrendous appendage that holds the rear number plate and indicators, Akrapovics are on (mine had standard exhausts), rack is on for impending trip. Just the bar end indicators, glassless rear view bar end mirrors and Rizoma rear indicators to be done and I'm set. I am 'On Call' with work until Monday so will not be able to go far even if I had it now. Hope to get it Saturday or Monday at the latest.

K9F

Picture heavy. Finally today I received the FTR. Can't go anywhere on it as I am 'On Call' at the hospital where I work, but 'fettling' with it fitting number plate, Scottoiler etc. Roll on Monday when On Call finishes.

Glassless mirrors and bar-end indicators.

Tail Tidy and Rizoma rear lighting.

Tail Tidy.

Decat.

rhledge

Nice! Two questions - where did you get the decat pipe made? And are you worried about the top of the license plate holder whacking the bottom of the taillight when you hit potholes and bumps?

K9F

My dealership had the pipes made locally. They also have their own CNC shop where the tail tidies were milled. Rhledge, Thanks for the 'heads up' twinge of conscience and as the plate is hinged, this morning I angled it downwards moving it away from the light a little.

Scottoiler chain lubrication system was a bit of a conundrum. There are two versions the 'E' system that has an electronic controller that costs well over £200 or an old fashioned 'V' system that you tap into a vacuum off the carburettor. The 'V' system is only £70. I have used the cheaper vacuum system on several EFI bikes simply by deriving a vacuum when you want to lube the chain from a medical syringe, pull the plunger oil the chain on the go, simple and very effective at a third of the cost with no chopping of cables wiring it in. Easy to swap from bike to bike (it was on my KTM previously). As I have a rack fitted the grab rails are gone. Made a bracket and used one of the vacant threaded holes from the grab rail. Ready for my trip to Germany once the first service is out of the way.

Last edited: