Is There Anyone About?

K9F

No worries, noticed my dealership now has the tail tidy, Akrapovic decat and a few other bits 'n' bobs photographed and posted up on the website. Along with the S & S flat tracker exhaust that comes in at an eye watering £1850 there is another silencer option an 'SC 1' and a decat for that and standard exhausts too.

Iec

I took delivery of my FTR1200 Race Replica on May 26, 2019 from Pitt Cycles near Pittsburgh, PA. The bike has exceeded my expectations. It is smooth and powerful. The suspension and brakes are tremendous. It is an easy bike to ride fast. I have 1100 miles so far and have had no problems or issues. I get a lot of questions and positive comments from other bikers who see it. So far I have not seen another FTR on the road. It has been fun owning and riding a motorcycle that not one else has seen let alone ridden. I hope your bike it delivered soon...

Hi,
Do you have heat issu with heat on your Rear hips?
I rode today on an FTR & i felt very hot air on my Rear hips on 100 km/h…

The only issue I have is that my butt and legs get hot.:)

I live in the desert and have been riding in temps up to 107° F. Stopped at a traffic light you will really notice it. My left leg notices it more.

Recently, Cycleworld did a story where legend Peter Egan and his wife road a BMW touring bike up the California coast. He was happy that the Beemer had the optional heated seat.

I had to laugh, the heated seat is standard on the FTR1200!

Here is a link to a youtube video of an FTR with the tank and bodywork removed. Notice how close the rear cylinder head is to your butt. Also, if you look just below the seat on the left side you will see that the head is very close to the frame and your leg almost touches the frame there.

FTR 1200 with tank removed

K9F

Work is impinging on my desire to rack some miles up to get her serviced before I head to Europe so I've been taking the longer way home about 60 miles, instead of the 3 mile direct route. It involves taking a dead straight old Roman road across the Dorset Downs called Cranborne Chase. It is seriously tempting to crack open the throttle to see what she may (or may not be capable of)? To prevent this I stop for a quick break at a field entrance halfway along the Chase. Pleasant weather and quite good views across the downs.

Attachments

• IMG_0019 -1.jpg
    IMG_0019 -1.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 9
Yeah, I was doing the same thing for the first two weeks! It was really hard not to wind it out on the long straight back roads.

K9F

I have had her cut out unexpectedly twice whilst going down the gears and synchro from first to second can be irksome so am not using first so much pulling away. It may be me with the synchro issue changing up too late perhaps but may mention it on service? The cutting out was explained to me as I picked her up, quite a few have done it supposedly and it appears to be a trait that disappears as the bike gets miles racked up. Am happy as a sand flea with the bike. I didn't test ride one and it is everything I hoped it would be. Have removed the tank bag as I was lugging it around with nothing in it. Have also decided to leave the baffles in (it was my intent to remove them). With the decat fitted she sounds like an old tart on the pull a 'growler' and riding buddies state she sounds perfect. Will get some more serious miles done this weekend and will get the service done next. Week after that jaunt across Europe via the Channel Tunnel. For the life of me even with the instructions I cannot find the bloody tripometer and have given up on it, with fuel remaining quite clear the tripometer can stay hidden wherever it may be, it became a battle of wills and I lost. :)

Last edited:

rhledge

I have had her cut out unexpectedly twice whilst going down the gears and synchro from first to second can be irksome so am not using first so much pulling away. It may be me with the synchro issue changing up too late perhaps but may mention it on service? The cutting out was explained to me as I picked her up, quite a few have done it supposedly and it appears to be a trait that disappears as the bike gets miles racked up. Am happy as a sand flea with the bike. I didn't test ride one and it is everything I hoped it would be. Have removed the tank bag as I was lugging it around with nothing in it. Have also decided to leave the baffles in (it was my intent to remove them). With the decat fitted she sounds like an old tart on the pull a 'growler' and riding buddies state she sounds perfect. Will get some more serious miles done this weekend and will get the service done next. Week after that jaunt across Europe via the Channel Tunnel. For the life of me even with the instructions I cannot find the bloody tripometer and have given up on it, with fuel remaining quite clear the tripometer can stay hidden wherever it may be, it became a battle of wills and I lost. :)

Sounds like you have a great trip ahead of you. Can't wait to hear about it/see pics!

Regarding the tripmeter, here are a couple of pics. It's hidden behind the odometer button; tap the ODO button and Trip 1 comes up, tap it again and Trip 2 comes up. To reset, hold it for a second or two and it resets to 0. The buttons are circled in red in the lower left of each image.

Reactions: K9F

K9F

Thanks Rhledge. I totally misconstrued the Owners Manual and like the fool that I feel have been trying to get to it via the setup procedure using the ignition and right hand trigger switch. Just a simple stab with a digit. Knew it would be simple. Thank you so much. I love forums.

K9F

Will have to keep a watchful eye on my fuelling stops when crossing Europe in a couple of weeks. Fuelled her right up to the gunnels today and set the tripmeter (thanks to Rhledge showing me where it was hidden), it got down to 16 miles before remaining distance disappeared and the low warnings came on. Managed just over 111 miles with about another 10 miles maximum left in the tank.

rhledge

Yup, that’s consistent with my results. Gas/petrol station planning will be important!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K9F

Nice day here today so racked up another 120 miles. 459 miles on the clock in a week between work, family commitments. Enough to get her booked in for service. Travelled down to a place called West Bay where bikers tend to gather, the local council even developed a small area of hard-standing for bikes to park free of charge. Must have been about 80-100 bikes there today, only two Indians, mine and top left of picture a black Roadmaster in the background.

K9F

Wallet has been lightened with first service out of the way. Two things of minor concern now sorted.

With the rear suspension on a softer setting the tyre just scuffed the rear number plate (you can see it on the picture above). Raised the hinged tail tidy back to where it was historically, took half a centimetre off the lower edge of the plate and boarded the rear of the number plate with a sacrificial sheet of red (all I had to hand) 3mm thick plastic board.

Another small concern was the potential water spray if riding on my forthcoming jaunt in the rain, with the exposure of the rear wheel now the huge appendage that held the number plate and indicators is gone. The Harley is bad enough with it's chopped fender but this I could do something about by utilising the rack overhang.

Using the same 3mm board I shaped a piece as an infill on the rack and used some double sided 3M gel tape to adhere it into place. Whilst it won't necessarily stop all the spray am happy with the end result considering.

Last edited:

JDP

My wife surprised me with this bike, I was trying to get one next year but she beat me to the punch and man I can’t believe I have it, anyway I’m riding as much as I can but old man winter is here this week supposed to be in the 50s so I’m going riding , I don’t have any issues except I need to let it warm up or it stalls out, but once warm it’s perfect, I want to change the exhaust and tag mount and get it remapped but I’m going to wait until someone has it perfected, just wondering about the warranty issues, I know how Harley-Davidson is does anyone know about Indian? Hope this forum gets busy with some information, I’m still figuring out the dash with all the modes.

JDP

This is the first bike I’ve ever had that didn’t have saddle bags or some type of luggage but I really like that tail rack, let me ask about the cat delete pipe, did you do it for the looks or performance? I talk to S&S and they told me I should leave the cat on but replace the muffler, they said the bike runs better with back pressure from the cat, now I’m confused because I ordered both the pipe and muffler, I guess I’ll just try both ways and see which way the bike performs the best, the underseat tag kit looks great also.

Max Kool

It just needs a "drastically" different tune to run correct with the cat removed. But it surely will after flashing it with a matched tune. That said, running without the cat won't give much noticeable power gains. All FTR's produce between 115 and 120hp at the rear wheel with the correct tune, unless you install a Toce system (Toce is king for the FTR).

If you're after a good running bike and a better sound that isn't overly loud, keeping the cat on and removing the baffle from the S&S may be a good choice.