License plate relocation

Skiddemon

I have the prototype bracket made up and fitted on my bike. I’m looking to make a batch of these to sell. I made them so you can run the factory turn signals or aftermarket if you’d like. Also no license plate light mount. Plan on running the hardware that has the LED inside. Would anyone be interested in buying these? Made in the USA by me

Attachments

• BA57FD1C-26B5-4D19-8B04-4BA0D70A95CC.jpeg
    BA57FD1C-26B5-4D19-8B04-4BA0D70A95CC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 77
  • 5577DE1D-17C0-4B33-90E9-28D705BFA42F.jpeg
    5577DE1D-17C0-4B33-90E9-28D705BFA42F.jpeg
    1,004 KB · Views: 77
  • 37946F9C-259D-412C-B8A4-03FFF3780C43.jpeg
    37946F9C-259D-412C-B8A4-03FFF3780C43.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 72

cupcake_mike

Still working out the price once I get a quote from powder coat I’ll know more. I’m trying to keep it under $160

This is strictly my opinion, so please feel free to tell me to fuck off.

I get that you need paid for your time, but from the sounds of your earlier post it seemed like this was an extracurricular activity for you-hence not much overhead to consider.

Maybe your powdercoat guy is high dollar, i don't know, but my guy might charge $20, plus that's like $10 dollars worth of carbon steel with a few tack welds. Hell, a $100 eastwood kit and a $50 used stove off craigslist and you could easily do it yourself since you would be coating new metal. Your plasma cutter isn't free, so maybe $5-10 of each one goes to that, but tools are always kind of a sunk cost. It looks nice but if it were me, I'd sell for $60 or 80 and be happy to help other enthusiasts, while putting a few bucks in my pocket to help keep the beer fridge full (you won't sell a bunch, so maybe that's your plan for pricing? Theres not a lot of FTRs on the road, even less people are on this forum).

Personally, if it were me and I had a cnc plasma i'd have cut the mounting bracket and the turn signal posts out of the main body of the license plate backing plate, then bend them out into position, so no welds would be required. Looks like you used a 11 gauge? Not too tough a job, especially if you have a break

Last edited:

Skiddemon

If only people did these calculations when purchasing other bullshit products they don’t need. But maybe this product isn’t for you. There’s a few others out there built by underpaid employees, low quality materials, minimum QC, millionaire CEO’s...

The goal here was to create a product that retains factory look while also eliminating the abomination that’s hanging off the swing arm. More than likely the first thing anyone with this bike wants to change. Reasoning for not including the turn signal brackets on the plate body was to eliminate press brake setup and also not have the turn signals sticking out a mile in each direction.

This isn’t a get rich quick scheme for me. This is my chance to get a start in an aftermarket world that is very limited for this bike. If I can sell 10 license plate brackets I can move on to other products I’m working on developing. Some purely aesthetic, some actually functioning. The beauty of the motorcycle world. You can make your bike as individual as you want. But for some people, that’s not easy when there’s very few options available. So why shoot someone down with ambition and and not only an opportunity to take advantage of the equipment around him, but fulfill a lifelong dream of creating a brand centered around the motorcycles I enjoy to ride and look at.

But I guess anyone can get a $10 plasma job, $100 Eastwood, $12,000 Miller welder, $30,000 bandsaw, $250k Amada fiber laser that cuts up to 18 inches per second and start pumping products out of their backyard to keep their beer stocked. Hell while they are at it, spend 15 years welding, 5 years aerospace, 3 years AWS certified welding inspector. Just to have some guy on the Internet tell them their part might be priced $20 too high.

cupcake_mike

Whoa, man...take step back from the keyboard and a deep breath.

I didn't call into question your abilities or the pedigree of your tools. I was simply stating that you are about 50% overpriced, not $20. Your design is basic and while it looks ok, it's not something that someone needs 300k worth of tools or a career behind a welding helmet to produce. The market range for these is about 75-250, they cheaper ones are basic like yours, as the price goes up you get nicer materials (ss or al) and/or lighting included. Definetly not something that anyone should be counting on to "stake" their business reputation, without a bit more innovation, maybe.

I have a friend at work who is in a similar situation as you, small 1 man fab shop he runs when not at work. Mostly making cnc'd plasma signs and some jeep parts. He probably has only 30-40k in tooIs, not including the cost to build his shop that the stuff is housed in. I showed your pics to him and asked for a ballpark idea of what he might charge for something like that. He estimates he can get 40+ cut out of 4x8 sheet of 11ga that costs $100 or so. So, 3 bucks per mount. With making the design, programing the machine, building a fixture, welding and powder coating he estimates he could charge $50 and not only pay for his materials, overhead and labor but also get out about 35% in profit (his normal amount). He guessed he could do it slightly cheaper if he just bent the brackets, instead of welding. Around 25% higher to do it in SS. Maybe he should pursue the idea, probably take a year or more to sell all 40 though.

Obviously, these numbers are dependent on many factors, but it should be clear to most that your pricing is a bit off...its not my place to price your products, so take it for what its worth, exactly nothing. Seems like you were looking for input and that's all i tried to give.

You are out of Nashville, right? Maybe market it as "artesianal" for the hipsters, if you wanna ask that price :) (its a joke)

Last edited:

Skiddemon

I asked for input if anyone would be interested in a product like this. Not if your friend who is also a welder can make it for cheaper.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
These are the main options out there right now. TOCE and NRC are my personal favorites. Because when the plate is angled with the shape of the tank instead of out it streamlines the side profile of the bike much better, and doesnt look like a mud flap. Since there are only two manufactures doing that style right now, and several doing it the other way. Perhaps design a bracket similar to NRC or TOCE.

$130
$78
$242
$187
$175 with signals
$225
$385 with signals
$200

Skiddemon

Man $78 for the toce? With cupcake mikes friends pricing that should be $4 to cut $2 to brake and $10 to powder coat. He’s 128% overpriced

cupcake_mike

Man $78 for the toce? With cupcake mikes friends pricing that should be $4 to cut $2 to brake and $10 to powder coat. He’s 128% overpriced

The toce mount is 2-3 times as much metal and includes hardware, so their price is right inline for what a business should fairly charge and still be able to cover all their overhead and turn a nice profit.

Skiddemon

The toce mount is 2-3 times as much metal and includes hardware, so their price is right inline for what a business should fairly charge and still be able to cover all their overhead and turn a nice profit.
Man you love arguing. I posted a prototype part that was tacked together for testing fitment and look. Not a final product. Not a final price. Atleast my turn signals face Straight backwards unlike yours.

Attachments

• 9701234D-020F-4198-8F6A-7D3E8F7AC7C5.jpeg
    9701234D-020F-4198-8F6A-7D3E8F7AC7C5.jpeg
    772.2 KB · Views: 47

cupcake_mike

Man you love arguing. I posted a prototype part that was tacked together for testing fitment and look. Not a final product. Not a final price. Atleast my turn signals face Straight backwards unlike yours.

(1) I'm not making a part to sell

(2) my signals point exactly where i want them to, but could be easily rotated if i choose to.

(3) i spent exactly zero dollars to make mine, using stuff i had. Maybe $3 worth of steel if you bought it from the hardware store (very overpriced), and less than 2 hours of my free time. About $3 worth of spray paint.

(4) i like arguing about as much as i like to be an asshole :)

Cheer up, dude. life too short to get so bent out of shape. If you can't handle a little criticism, especially since i offered something constructive (not just ignored your post or commented it was "overpriced"), you're probably gonna have a bad time at this entrepreneurial thing.

Last edited:

Skiddemon

(1) I'm not making a part to sell

(2) my signals point exactly where i want them to, but could be easily rotated if i choose to.

(3) i spent exactly zero dollars to make mine, using stuff i had. Maybe $3 worth of steel if you bought it from the hardware store (very overpriced), and less than 2 hours of my free time. About $3 worth of spray paint.
My point exactly dude. You’re the type of person that complains about people’s pricing, decides to make the part yourself, brags about not having to spend a dime, then shows off what you’ve created that actually looks like shit. That’s great do it yourself pat yourself on the back for saving $100 on your $13k bike. I joined this forum just to see what the aftermarket world looks like and seeing as there’s only like 5 active members. And one of them is you. Don’t think I’ll be spending much more time on here.