Noise with key off

American

I’ve been having random issues with my bike not wanting to start if I haven’t ridden for a few weeks. Since a lot of members have had battery issues I kind of assumed I just had a battery starting to go bad.

Today I put the bike in the charger. I started the bike and let it warm up. When I shut it off and turn the key the display went out but it kept making an electrical sound. I don’t think it was the fuel pump but part of the electrical system seemed to stay running even with the bike off. Started the bike and attempted to get the noise to stop which it did. I wasn’t able to replicate the condition.

I know some guys had mentioned sticking relays or what not is there an issue similar to this that I should be aware of?

I’ll definitely keep an ear out for when I shut the bike off and try to make sure that the noise isn’t happening. This could be what’s actually killing the battery.

Rich.ftr

Hmm that’s odd.
Hi. Yes mine is making a noise as described too for about 10 secs also just started having battery issues not holding a charge. 2019 model purchased new 11months ago.

Try to start bike just clicks not turning over. Put back on trickle charger will start but if left off trickle charger for more than one day im back to a non starter.

Rich.ftr

Cheers kiwi dave.. I agree as dose the rep at cycle spot. However they wont send a replacement until its been through a diagnostic assessment. I understand why but hellishly inconvenience from taupo. Looks like an original 2019 battery to me.. Although only has 11months and 2900Km under my new ownership. Probably just buy one myself and suffer the expense instead of going through the warranty process that will cost me the best part of a day in lost income.

Rich.ftr

Unless the battery is losing current due to some sort of parasite drain, I suggest your battery is toast. Replacement is the only cure.

Hey is this you by chance..?

I think we may have spoke over the phone a while back?

I ended up putting avon trail riders tyres on my ftr just 100km ago... Big shame i cant get out and give them a blast on the fine autumn day thanks to the battery. Looking forward to testing and posting a review on them.

Last edited:

kiwi dave

No, that is not me.

I went through the tortures with Cycle Spot when my battery was performing badly on my FTR1200S I had just purchased from them. It was like extracting false teeth. Then a couple of weeks ago, the battery failed again. No warning, just died completely.

Luckily I was at Tech Moto when it happened, and they had a replacement battery the exact same size.

I suggest you don't bother with their "diagnostic assessment", especially since it will cost you more to travel to Auckland than its worth. Just replace it with a trusted version from a local battery retailer that will support you.

Charliemurphay

Quite a few people swapped to an antigravity lithium battery with no issues. Could be a good time for some easy weight savings and higher CCA.

kiwi dave

I'm cautious about Lithium batteries, especially when trying to start them on a cold morning. The standard advice is turn the headlight on for a while to create some current draw which will warm the battery.

The problem I see is that most modern bikes will not allow the headlight to switch on until the motor is running. Sorta like a Catch-22.

kiwi dave

You're right! I never checked it, I just assumed that if low beam was not working, neither will the high beam.

Thanks Max. I feel a little more comfortable now.

Rich.ftr

Grabbed a 250cca gel battery today. All is well so far. It also feels a little lighter than the polaris. Royale cars ( indian dealer in hamilton) came to the party on the warranty if my old battery is returned to them at the 4000km service.
Thanks for your advice everyone.

Popped on a charge just to make sure i start at 100%.

Attachments

• 20220426_172447.jpg
    20220426_172447.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I'm cautious about Lithium batteries, especially when trying to start them on a cold morning. The standard advice is turn the headlight on for a while to create some current draw which will warm the battery.

The problem I see is that most modern bikes will not allow the headlight to switch on until the motor is running. Sorta like a Catch-22.
Not an issue with all lithium batteries.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member

Not an issue with all lithium batteries.

JDP

I run lithium batteries in my dirt bikes never had any problems, I’ll probably try one for my FTR when the time comes for a new battery , can’t believe how little they weigh but price is sure high