Options for bigger handle bars?

• Thread starter Deleted member 706
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 706

Given the 1" to 7/8" design of the bars on my base model FTR what are my options for bigger handle bars?
As far as I can tell they are quite limited.

edgelett

you mean thicker?
honestly not sure. I know a few people have put on thicker grips, and there's something called 'grip puppies' i think some use too so it's wider where your hands are.

D

Deleted member 706

OK thanks Max.
It sounds like I might be able to shop at some of the local bike shops.
What I'm looking for is something like what we used to call full western or semi western.
*note to self take a tape measure,

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
They are generally considered a “fat bar”

but yeah virtually every modern Dirtbike runs them. So there are countless bends and shapes.

although a set of risers would be easiest to mount

D

Deleted member 706

OK thanks now I'm getting a clearer picture of how to proceed.
After spending 20 years living under a rock, feeding the kids and paying the mortgage, it's now obvious how out of touch I am...

Sullaha

What to you mean by bigger @fuknKIWI ? Seeing as the bar clamps are bolted on you could change and run those big diameter Burleigh bars, get some red sneakers and roll like this guy221911157_4480282448683185_3379497528523890433_n.jpg...

D

Deleted member 706

oh you mean higher?

yeah lots of options there. also look at the Indian Rally Bars.
Well thanks for the suggestion, not only do they look pretty good the price is reasonable. I'd hope that they will be a simple bolt on swap over too, no stuffing around with wiring or hydraulic hoses...

Sullaha

Well thanks for the suggestion, not only do they look pretty good the price is reasonable. I'd hope that they will be a simple bolt on swap over too, no stuffing around with wiring or hydraulic hoses...
The genuine Rally bars were sold out when I set mine up so I went for Pro-Taper Adventure high, they are probably as high as you'd want to go without altering cables.
https://www.protaper.com/product/34/evo-adventure-handlebars/black
The control area is a little short but you it all fits up ok with some patient arranging.

D

Deleted member 706

Thanks for all the input, I just ordered a set of rally bars and the rubber footpeg inserts too. Valentines day 14% off helps soften the bill. 🤑

FTR London

Does anyone know the full specification of the OEM bars on the 2019 1200S? I know that they are 1-1/8" 810mm length 28mm mount. I'm interested in the the height and the curve. I've always found the measurement advice to be so ambiguous. I want a flatter bar with less raise. Thanks.

Webby

O think you’ll like them. I put mine on this week. Indian has instructions on what it takes. One of our kind brethren hooked me up with them. Im tall and wanted a better ridin position B28B86BB-64A4-40BE-BF83-8EFC47D3A8EF.jpeg

FTR London

O think you’ll like them. I put mine on this week. Indian has instructions on what it takes. One of our kind brethren hooked me up with them. Im tall and wanted a better ridin position View attachment 5869
I know this thread is about higher bars (and although it made sense not to start another thread, I didn't mean to hijack it), but that's precisely the opposite of what I'm looking to replace the standard bars with. Like I said, I want something with less raise - a flatter bar. I need to know the specification of the OEM bars, specifically, the height and raise.

Last edited:

cupcake_mike

I know this thread is about higher bars (and although it made sense not to start another thread, I didn't mean to hijack it), but that's precisely the opposite of what I'm looking to replace the standard bars with. Like I said, I want something with less raise - a flatter bar. I need to know the specification of the OEM bars, specifically, the height and raise.

I'm confused, do you not have standard bars? If you do, just measure them???

FTR London

I'm confused, do you not have standard bars? If you do, just measure them???
Thanks for that. In terms of raise, as I explained I have always found the precise points for measurement ambiguous - I have read several different guidelines. Simply wondered whether anyone knew the specifications of the OEM bars - or indeed what they actually are meaning I could then establish that myself.

No problem - it came down to Renthal Ultra Low or the Pro Taper Evo Motocross fat bar and I opted for the latter having a lesser height and rise than the standard bars. Probably won't surprise you to learn that I think the latter look ridiculous and completely alien to the original concept.