Second Bike in Stable for Longer Distances?

R&R Bound

I never heard of the SCR, did a quick FB market place search, there are tons of dealer left overs for $5k seems like a great little bike for the money.

Probably sold as well as the FTR currently is.
It is a great bike for the money. What most don't realize is that it is basically a Yamaha Bolt with a sub-frame to elevate the seating position and add some ground clearance. It also has an upswept exhaust and semi nobby tires. Yamaha attempted to market it as a scrambler (hence the SCR) but it fell short if one simply looks at that category. It's much heavier than most other scramblers and belt drive is really not appropriate for the off-road. Reviews were not good when comparing as a scrambler so they elected to only produce it for the 2017 model year. However, I do not ride off-road and I am 6'3" tall and I love the higher seat and upright riding position (which is similar to the FTR).

Pandemic sales slump on motorcycles aside, Do you have information on how well FTR sales are going relative to expectations?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Well it’s now almost may, the bike came out one year ago, there are still bikes from may of 2019 sitting in dealers, and Indian hasn’t released 2020 bikes yet.

I think it’s safe to say, they aren’t selling that great.

mark.lb

Saw a teaser add for FTR Carbon today. Said more details to come on May 1. Could it be a 2020 model or possibly a 750 version?

SURLY

That is nothing to be embarrassed about. My 2nd Bike in Iowa is a smaller BMW G 310 GS (otherwise known as the "baby GS"). Obviously it's not for longer rides but at 374 pounds is for easier loading and unloading to take on short adventure rides. (A big GS would certainly do the trick for long rides as was mentioned in an earlier post). My 3rd ride is a Yamaha SCR950. This was a one year wonder that I picked up new dirt cheap. Not really good for longer rides either but is also a good solid bike for that 1-2 hour stretch. View attachment 1032View attachment 1033. It is not really for
The Yamaha actually looks rather good does,nt it hmmmmm.

MotoJedi

I would like to hear how many of you have another ride (or more) in your stable. I love the FTR and 90% of my rides are 1.5 hours or less. However, I have friends wanting to do some longer distance rides so I am considering adding a larger cruiser. I have 2 other bikes but both are smaller displacement so I may try to sell them and add a 2nd Indian to my stable. I'm not a fan of the full dressers but am warming up to something like the Springfield Dark Horse. Does anyone have similar thoughts or experiences on this topic?

BMW R1250RT---Can't beat it.

S2Davies

I'm coming at it from a slightly different slant. I actually got the FTR for longer distances. My other bike is a bit of a wrist breaker over longer rides, especially if it has any heavy traffic or town riding in the trip.

Attachments

• 1200 Daytona 2.jpg
    1200 Daytona 2.jpg
    796.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1200 Daytona.jpg
    1200 Daytona.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 3

Max Kool

I recall that being quite a low speed - top heavy bike for a bike with clipons.

Once the freeway opens up though.....:cool:

S2Davies

I recall that being quite a low speed - top heavy bike for a bike with clipons.

Once the freeway opens up though.....:cool:

It is a bit unwieldy, but that being said, its done more laps of the TT course than I care to remember, plus the Nurberg ring, Silverstone circuit and a few German autobahns in it time, so it deserves a rest :)