Sullaha's everyday all road FTR

Sullaha

So just before Christmas I decided to ask my local dealer (and former employer) if they could find out what it would take to get a Rally model FTR into New Zealand. The salesman's face said all it needed to before he spoke. The Polaris importer had come back with a "go away" price which was around $3000 NZD more than a '22 Carbon, so around 30k. I get this, I really do because it's a big hassle to import and sell a bike that hasn't undergone any homologation compliance especially if it's a one off. It was super disappointing though, it seems the fact I purchased a bike sight unseen and had a grand sitting in their bank for 10 months and no bike didn't count for much in their eyes, oh well...

... So the dealer calls me back and makes me a very attractive offer on this...
T.B.C.

Attachments

• 20211209_201709.jpg
    19 MB · Views: 42

edgelett

I had no idea the Rally wasn't sold in NZ. You guys really got belted there eh!
and here I was complaining about the lack of colours on the Scout Bobber in Aus compared to the US.

you did well there mate, can never have too many FTRs!

Sullaha

It's interesting because everything comes through Polaris Australia anyway and our vehicle standards are closely aligned to ADRs, go figure.

Sullaha

Modification #1
So in the interests of making the bike fit the description in the thread title the first mod was higher handlebars. Easy peasy. These are the Pro-Taper adventure high bend. I'm guessing these are a taller rise than the Indian rally bars and also have a shorter control area. The master cylinder clamps on half ever so slightly on the tapered part of the bar but is still well secured, the brakeline was ever so slightly tight at full lock but a small banjo realignment took care of that.
Instant improvement on standing position and after a bit of time testing and tweaking the angle more ever rearwards more comfortable sitting too.High bars.jpg

Last edited:

edgelett

oh nice! So taller but narrower? looks like a good option as I know some have the Indian Rally bars but ALSO have risers - this is a cheaper choice.

Sullaha

oh nice! So taller but narrower? looks like a good option as I know some have the Indian Rally bars but ALSO have risers - this is a cheaper choice.
Same width as the stock bar. Could be an option but not for most folk for the reasons I alluded to above. Indian does a great job of making the accessories truly bolt on with really good clear instructions. What they aren't good at and rightfully so is putting out the exact specs of these parts, stuff up the cheap arse cross referencing mofos like me ;)

Sullaha

Modification #2
This one was an emotionally difficult mod to make. The S&S 2 into 2 high pipes are gorgeous and even with catalytic converters sound lovely. Unfortunately they showed themselves quickly to be an impedance to comfortable and controlled riding when standing, also painful when dabbing with the right foot, baked thigh cuts anyone?? It just sits too far away from the side of the bike and I honestly struggle to see how any high pipe setup can get significantly closer. I would like to see a Toce high mount from above as shown in the second picture to see if it's any closer.
So on with the stock exhaust from my RR, aesthetically meh but it does sound good and most importantly I can hold on with my feet and legs properly. It also runs better with far less hunting at part throttle settings. To be fair the bike as far as I know is running a slightly modified version of the stock tune not optimal for such a different exhaust configuration. My feeling was that the smaller diameter and shorter length headers when running a good tune could be a good thing, slightly softer and smoother torque delivery isn't the worst thing for the loose stuff.
There's quite a bit of extra ground clearance with the high pipes, would have been nice to retain that, not enough pros to outweigh the cons is what it boiled down to.
It took me a lazy 5 hours to swap this, at least an hour and a half longer than it really should have. I found a few crossed threads in the subframe casting of which repairing took a bit of that time, not having instructions didn't help either. The stock rear header and heatshield take a few twists and turns to get right with the ABS unit unbolted, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Attachments

• 20211209_201709.jpg
    20211209_201709.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220221_201627.jpg
    20220221_201627.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 25
  • FTR day1 Taita Rock.jpg
    FTR day1 Taita Rock.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 27

FTR London

Looks superb. The definitive exhaust for this bike - but as you say, too many compromises. Have you considered the Toce low mount system that @Breto and @edgelett have fitted? Beautifully minimalist, the Lloydz tune is developed around it and to my mind suits the bike almost as well as the twin S&S system you fitted. I'm ordering one this year.

Sullaha

Looks superb. The definitive exhaust for this bike - but as you say, too many compromises. Have you considered the Toce low mount system that @Breto and @edgelett have fitted? Beautifully minimalist, the Lloydz tune is developed around it and to my mind suits the bike almost as well as the twin S&S system you fitted. I'm ordering one this year.
No, they head directly under the sump so I would expect they'd be squashed flat in no time. I do like the truncated muffler as it clears the space currently occupied by the twin Akras which would be ideal to mount my Rotopax.
I know this wont be a popular opinion but I don't like the way they look, that's just me and wouldn't be a deal breaker, but running under the sump is though. I have plans that involve protecting that area of the bike which the layout would make difficult.

Sullaha

Modification #3
Easy and relatively painless, for me though I didn't ask the steel how it felt on the plasma cutter bed or when I pointed the TIG torch at it.
Stand foot.jpg
And in case you're thinking did I shorten the stand, no I didn't. With the rear suspension sag set correctly the bike doesn't stand up too straight unlike how they come from the factory.

Last edited:

FTR London

No, they head directly under the sump so I would expect they'd be squashed flat in no time.
Why? Unless you're planning to indulge in some extreme off-roading which the bike isn't really designed to do. Plenty of clearance for most excursions off the ashpalt.

I know this wont be a popular opinion
That's fine - I guess I post a lot of them on here myself.

but I don't like the way they look, that's just me and wouldn't be a deal breaker,

Then that's a very legitimate reason not to fit the system to your bike.

but running under the sump is though. I have plans that involve protecting that area of the bike which the layout would make difficult.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the reply.

Where are you planning to take it then? I'd be heading north to the Rangipo Desert in a heartbeat, further still to Northland or over the water to Otago. You are so blessed. Beautiful country.

Sullaha

Why? Unless you're planning to indulge in some extreme off-roading which the bike isn't really designed to do. Plenty of clearance for most excursions off the ashpalt.

That's fine - I guess I post a lot of them on here myself.

Then that's a very legitimate reason not to fit the system to your bike.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the reply.

Where are you planning to take it then? I'd be heading north to the Rangipo Desert in a heartbeat, further still to Northland or over the water to Otago. You are so blessed. Beautiful country.
I've ridden in all those places, and yes we're blessed. The places you don't hear about are the places that interest me. Whilst I don't call it extreme off roading there were many places I dragged the bash plate on my V-Strom which is has similar clearance as the FTR. Not so much the trails or tracks themselves but certain obstacles placed to limit access ;) Also places 4WD vehicles go create big rock steps and ruts which create clearance issues too. Some of the protective measures I have planned are to mitigate damage in those environments.

FTR London

The places you don't hear about are the places that interest me.
Having been raised for a period of my life in NZ I may well have heard about them unless they are very particular to the area you live. I don't know the Wellington region that well.

I used to climb in Mt.Aspiring National Park which I still regard as one of the most beautiful and remote places on the planet. I miss your country greatly.

edgelett

definitely look at the Toce High mount for what you're doing mate. it is probably a good option.

Bike is looking great!

Sullaha

Having been raised for a period of my life in NZ I may well have heard about them unless they are very particular to the area you live. I don't know the Wellington region that well.

I used to climb in Mt.Aspiring National Park which I still regard as one of the most beautiful and remote places on the planet. I miss your country greatly.
That's why you have to talk to locals, even in the country you live in. They always know the way to get deeper into the more technical places.
I was in Mt Aspiring national park last year, we couldn't really stay long enough to have a half decent explore but I have to agree with you, that's one super special part of the world alright.
The first pic is my "hood", google those road names and you'll get the gist. Mt Earnslaw in #2 just for old times sake :)

Attachments

• 20220104_142646.jpg
    20220104_142646.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Mt Aspiring south end.jpg
    Mt Aspiring south end.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 11

Sullaha

definitely look at the Toce High mount for what you're doing mate. it is probably a good option.

Bike is looking great!
Yep, if I could guarantee that it's livable then I might take a leaf out of your tax return spend up book ;) Otherwise it's grinder and TIG time. I'm formulating an idea.